Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you think Joker should ever have a moment of humanity at some point?

Something that has been a recurrence with Joker in the comics is that when he goes sane or when something happens to him he shows remorse for his actions. There have also been times Batman and others have gone into his mind and have seen some for of good in him I think this happened when Specter came after him The Martian Man Hunter went into his mind or something that being said do you think Joker himself should at one point show humanity? I've always felt that if written right Joker showing some humanity might make him even more terrifying. Like maybe it could come out his pregnant wife/fiance from the Killing Joke is alive and raising their kid in secret and he could abduct them and claim he was trying to put his family back together all the while it's evident he's trying to force things and Joker is just completely blind to the horror of his actions alternatively the fiance he had when he went sane (not sure if that story is canon though) could be used in the same capacity.

Either way I'd like a story where Batman isn't so much as Joker's objective or center of his attention but rather Joker treats Batman as more of an obstacle and a annoyance. I like the idea of Joker kidnapping an ex of his and his kid while trying to force a happy ending of sorts because I think it really fits him and I definitely would not want Harley to be the woman in the scenario because Joker kidnapping his ex and kid would be very reflective towards his abusive nature and it would just fit so much if he treated his ex wife/fiance better than Harley even if him being possessive was his sole motivation him treating his ex better than Harley would make a lot of sense.

It would also be nice to see an ex of Joker's that sees him for what he is and calls him out on it because Harley will always go back to Joker and really Joker doesn't give a dam about Harley but ultimately I just don't ever really see Harley as a female character that should be written in a positive light to be frank I've always felt Harley should be cautionary tale of what happens to victims of abuse that don't leave and to be honest I've always pictured her dying at Joker's hands only to tragically realize in her last moments she means nothing to him. All that being said it would be interesting if it was shown even that even if Joker could love he was still just all around bad.

Ultimately I just like the idea of Joker looking for his ex and kid and because it's so personal he just shows a whole knew level of rage and terror like he manages to find his wife and kid, they escape and Harley is the unfortunate soul that has to tell him and he just goes off on Harley in way he never has maybe like this and I can just picture Joker going off on Harley like this.

Amazing Member

Well the current Batman: White Knight by Sean Murphy offers an alternative Joker.

Incredible Member

Well, there was Going Sane, and there was that bit in Morrison's JLA where he was sane and all 'Oh my god, what have I done?'

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcrimsonprog View Post
    Well, there was Going Sane, and there was that bit in Morrison's JLA where he was sane and all 'Oh my god, what have I done?'
    And on the ex-tip, there was Hush Returns.

No he should not have a child or an ex keep him focused on Batman.

BANNED

Joker should be the eternal bad apple in the bottom of the basket. Incorrigible forever.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

What the Joker gets away with in the Batmanverse goes way beyond the suspension of disbelief in a comic book; he completely diminishes Batman, makes him a helpless bystander, ultimately a janitor whose job is to clean up the mess AFTER the Joker has wreaked havoc on Gotham and on those Batman cares about. Over time, Batman's angst and regret over the Joker's antics has become a cliché'. The only way I can read Batman and accept his world is to ignore any stories that feature the Joker. *Humanize him or not. Makes no difference to me. The character is a joke.

Without having to be humanized, so to speak, in the first issue of Dark Knights Metal, we see Joker had been holed up deep in the Bat Cave, and even he was spooked by what Batman was trying to do with the Dark Multiverse.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I like the idea of Joker kidnapping an ex of his and his kid while trying to force a happy ending of sorts because I think it really fits him
    It really doesn't fit Joker as readers know him, really doesn't fit him in many many ways like him and his past being mysterious, Joker being pretty asexual, etc, etc.

Going Sane and other tales have provided Joker with some great "human" moments.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Well given the whole "his personality changes to fit what he wants to do" in any given week I do like the idea of Joker on rare occasions having more of a "human" moment under everything. Not as any kind of redeeming factor but as a reminder of just how twisted he is.

Like among all the bad things he does he might do something completely off the usual for him that's "good" but no one knows what to think of it. after all as much as he is a monstrous being he does and should still do things that are amusing and on a very rare occasion somehow helpful to someone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Joker should be the eternal bad apple in the bottom of the basket. Incorrigible forever.
    Almost like Gotham's comical version of Charles Manson

I dont mind brief moments where Joker's sanity is found, like in Rock of Ages. And anything goes in an Elseworld so stuff like White Knight is fine.

Past that.....I dont think I want any kind of "humanizing" of the character. Joker's so far off the deep end he's utterly unrealistic, and I think he needs to stay that way. He's the ultimate unstoppable force to Bruce's immovable object.

And I'd rather he keep the mystery about him. I like that we have no idea who he used to be or how he got the way he is. It adds to his aesthetic and makes him a little scarier (we fear what we dont understand right?), and any attempt to explain him would fall short.

Now, if he does something good as a random act? Whatever. I could see the guy dropping off twenty grand at some random house and being all "Pay your kids college tuition! Have a great life now!" because he'd find it funny to do something totally altruistic, just to screw with Bats.

Joker is about as truly evil as it is possible to be in comics. Dont screw with that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Almost like Gotham's comical version of Charles Manson
    Yeah, like that. Not a shred of human decency in him. That's my Joker.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yeah, like that. Not a shred of human decency in him. That's my Joker.
    And can you say the same about Hamil's, Nicholson's, Caesar's, Ledger's, Moore's or any version?

He's so evil he thinks giving cancer to someone with chemicals is funny and seeing them die gives him a smile on his face with chuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    And can you say the same about Hamil's, Nicholson's, Caesar's, Ledger's, Moore's or any version?

He's so evil he thinks giving cancer to someone with chemicals is funny and seeing them die gives him a smile on his face with chuckles.
    I like him completely villainous. He is just that character that needs to be that ONE villain who is always going to be that way. Every good superhero needs that ONE person (or two) that they know eventually it will come down to a situation of, "them or me".