Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a tough one for me. When Messiah Complex first came out. I was blown away. It was one of those rare events that delivered in presenting a solid, comprehensive crossover event for the entire line of X-men comics. I thought it was one of the best X-men events of the decade.

In terms of the trilogy, though, I thought Messiah Wars and Second Coming weren’t quite on the same level. Messiah War was somewhat forgettable and Second Coming was great, but not nearly as satisfying as Messiah Complex. On its own, I would put Messiah Complex in the top 15 of all time X-men crossover events. The Messiah Trilogy, however, wouldn’t be quite that high. It’s still top 20 though. I thought it did a lot of things right. It just didn’t do enough to have that serious, long-term impact that makes an X-men event iconic.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Among the very best. A top 10.

One of the worst periods of X-history.

BANNED

A C minus. They had Nightcrawler out teleport Exodus. Lol. That's as bad as Black Panther putting Silver Surfer in the armbar.

That was the point where all X-Men continuity was liquidated for a low brow Hollywood blockbuster action movie. The franchise has never since recovered.

I can understand why new fans would like it, or those just putting their brains on pause, but for an old school fan, compared to the likes of the DPS, Mutant Massacre, Inferno, or even Fall of the Mutants, X-Tiction Agenda, and X-Cutioner's Song, it was garbage.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-07-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Which ever story was the one that introduced Hope Summers and tried to turn Bishop into a murderous villain automatically makes it trash to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Which ever story was the one that introduced Hope Summers and tried to turn Bishop into a murderous villain automatically makes it trash to me.

Hope was not worth this ****.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

No crossover/events of the past 20 years are above dirt.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I really don't remember much about it.
    So it doen't rank high on my list.

Can't say enough good things about it! Absolutely love Messiah Complex and Second Coming, and Messiah War was good too! I had started following X-men comics a little before Messiah Complex's buildup, so yes that's part of it. I had of course read various X-men comics before that, but this was the point where I started to follow the franchise consistently and haven't stopped since!

I thought it was good, but ultimately cheapened by how bad AvX was, since that was the real culmination of everything-is-about-Hope-Summers as the X-Titles main theme and so completely mishandled her character and the overall story to cash in on the popularity of the Avengers in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    No crossover/events of the past 20 years are above dirt.
    Sounds about right to me. When would you say is the cut off point?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Truth is I feel the X-men have been directionless ever since second coming. schism sucked and I have not yet recovered from AvX. Garbage event that made everyone involved look like a dumb ass. Don't even care to mention the other crap events that followed.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

The Messiah Complex lived up to it's name in hindsight. It was a good action packed story, that at the time raised the stakes of the X-line. My problem with the story is that it seems to fall flat on the out of nowhere betrayal that seems to takeaway from the overall story that was well constructed. Even though they did do a Bishop mini-series explaining it.

The issues leading up to the Messiah Complex were some of my favorite X-men issues. The issueswere the team confronts the Mauraders in Rogues old home was a fave of mine.

Astonishing Member

I liked the Bastion and Necrosha stories more than Messiah Comples proper.
    I dont like what they did to Bishop, and the powers of the characters were used very badly. Someone already mentioned Nightcrawler teleporting Exodus as if Exodus couldnt teleport from Asteroid M to Earth with absolute easy, also Mystique killing Sinister, and Emma shielding all the x-men, from the Mansion, against Sinister and Exodus.
    I am a big Emma fan, but not because of her "power level", she shouldnt be able to do that imo.