Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 63
  1. #46
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Messiah Complex is one of my top 5 favorite X-Stories of all time: just an all-around triumph. Messiah War was a bit of a mixed bag: it had awesome moments (anything involving Apocalypse) and a lot of bloat (anything involving Deadpool). It was kinda fun but mindless. I wasn't crazy about Second Coming at the time it came out, but I think I might enjoy it a bit more upon a second read. It's better than anything we've gotten since, especially Battle of the Atom and IvX, so I guess it's got that going for it.

    The unfortunate thing about these stories upon reflection is that Hope's story was fulfilled in AvX, and that's a freaking load. They took what should've been an X-Men story and turned it into a damn Avengers story. It'd be like if you were reading the Kree/Skrull War, seeing the Avengers go through all that toil and strife, only to have the X-Men show up on the last 2 pages, say, "F%&$ you, Avengers. We've got this."

    They also never gave any credence to Bishop's claim that Hope killed a million humans: when was this supposed to take place? What the Hell happened?

    So much wasted potential, but Messiah Complex is still one of the all-time greats.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

  2. #47
    Incredible Member Captain Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    911

    Default

    To me, Messiah Complex and Second Coming rank as two of three of the best X-overs since 2000. The other being Necrosha but I'm biased towards a Selene-centric event. Sadly Second Coming is also IMO the last decent X-over.

    Where do they rank as a whole though? Messiah Complex rivals all but AoA, and Inferno, IMO. Second coming ranks lower, more along the lines of OTZ, the Mutant Massacre, the X-tinction Agenda, Phalanx Covenant, and X-ecutioner's Song, but somewhere in the middle of all that. I'd put Messiah Complex as probably the 3rd best X-over, over all, and Second Coming in the lower top 10. Messiah War though is mostly junk that is on par with most of the rest of post-2000 X-overs.

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    I thought Age of X want bad

  4. #49
    EMMA WAS RIGHT! darkalamator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    IMHO : I really enjoyed it and it gave us great moments (Emma vs Exodus was my favourite one). But I still regard it as a missed opportunity: A)The character of Hope as Jean-2 was basically made redundant and I feel it should have never been introduced and B) I als feel it would have been a fantastic moment to bring Jean back (instead of Hope).
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member Purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,644

    Default

    Messiah Complex is my favourite crossover.

  6. #51
    Mighty Member Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    It had good pacing, and was an interesting story, but the story-telling methods used changed the franchise in a negative way that it hasn't yet bounced back from, in my opinion.

    The X-Men became a paramilitary group and any element of family was lost, not to be recovered. The crux of the story itself had three core characters -- Cyclops, as the axis around which the X-Men turned (as stated by Alonso himself), Wolverine, because it had to, apparently, and Hope as the red herring. Hope was someone who was forced down readers throats for the sole purpose of these events, then just...disappeared.

    The ultimate resolution was also unsatisfactory for me.

  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    I really love Messiah Complex. It's up there for me with Mutant Massacre and DPS. I couldn't choose a favorite amongst those three even if I wanted to.
    Messiah War is pretty forgettable.
    Second Coming should have been way better. It had some great moments, but at the same time it should have been way better to close the Messiah/extinction plot. The fact that it was so underwhelming (as its consequences) is what gave us the tragedy that was AvX.

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agreed. Admittedly the middle (Messiah War) wasn’t as strong as the beginning (Messiah Complex) or end (Second Coming), but man I really enjoyed the Cable series with him raising Hope in the future that took place between those book ends!
    That Cable series as a whole is really good. The relationship between Nathan and Hope was really compelling and the actual reason for her name was very smart and touching.

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    It had good pacing, and was an interesting story, but the story-telling methods used changed the franchise in a negative way that it hasn't yet bounced back from, in my opinion.

    The X-Men became a paramilitary group and any element of family was lost, not to be recovered. The crux of the story itself had three core characters -- Cyclops, as the axis around which the X-Men turned (as stated by Alonso himself), Wolverine, because it had to, apparently, and Hope as the red herring. Hope was someone who was forced down readers throats for the sole purpose of these events, then just...disappeared.

    The ultimate resolution was also unsatisfactory for me.
    Well said. I agree completely.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  10. #55
    Mighty Member sungila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dawnland
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    the Messiah Complex was the best X-Men movie (but it wasn't a movie)...as a comic book, it's still the best X-Men movie! ;-)

    Seriously great art, fantastic action, totally satisfying, and as enduring as any cinematic catharsis.
    messiahcomplex6.jpg
    Last edited by sungila; 01-30-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

  11. #56
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    Messiah Complex is contender for one of the best x-stories of all time.
    Second Coming is REALLY good.
    Messiah War is a turd.
    Agreed. Messiah Complex had the feel of a classic crossover as did Second Coming. Messiah War was for profit.

  12. #57
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Sounds about right to me. When would you say is the cut off point?
    The last crossover/event I liked was literally 20 years ago-- OZT.

    And everything since House of M was just as if Marvel was purposely coming up with completely stupid ways to marginalize the entire mutant line.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

  13. #58
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Eagle
    Posts
    3,462

    Default

    It was all trash except the Carey issues.

  14. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The last crossover/event I liked was literally 20 years ago-- OZT.

    And everything since House of M was just as if Marvel was purposely coming up with completely stupid ways to marginalize the entire mutant line.
    Interesting. OZT started off very strong, but I found the ending to be so abrupt, it lost some points for that (SHIELD saves the day out of nowhere, come on!?). I might would push it back a bit more to Onslaught, even if that was a bit messy too. Maybe even X-Cutioner's Song? That was a proper crossover that involved all the squads and brought something very new to the table(the revelation of Cable and Stryfe's origins as Scott/Maddie's child/clone).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  15. #60
    Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NY, Bronx
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I never read Second Coming or Messiah War so I can't judge those but I absolutely love Messiah Complex. Messiah Complex was like one of my first non Sonic the Hedgehog comics along with House of M and New X-men vol. 5. It was one of the comics that made me want to start collecting more comics. I love the art, the action was great, and I thought the writers did a good job at blending 4 different comic book series together to tell one story that flowed nicely. Its still is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •