Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Early review of the Gold Excalibur Annual!!!

https://blackgirlnerds.com/bgn-comic...=SocialWarfare

In the latest issue which available January 10, the X-Men head out to the United Kingdom to visit Meggan and Brian Braddock who just had a baby. They were notified by way of a stork of course, and the reunion between X-Men members Nightcrawler, Shadowcat and Rachel Grey (she’s no longer Rachel Summers) is finally happening. When we meet the Braddocks, Brian noticeably has a mountain man beard and Meggan—well she’s still Meggan, just as ditzy and as naive as ever. However, Meggan does feel discouraged that her newborn daughter Maggie, who is growing exponentially faster than most babies her age, will not need her mother for very long during her formative years since she’s incredibly articulate at just three months and knows more than her own mother. Remember, Meggan was illiterate and didn’t learn to read until adulthood—she also has never learned to write very well.

The book takes us through an unexpected turn of events, and we get to see old foes from the past appear as adversaries in this reunion story. There are some interesting moments too between Nightcrawler and Maggie. I couldn’t help but think about some of the older issues of Excalibur when Kurt had a thing for Meggan and there was a bit of a love triangle happening between Meggan, Kurt, and Brian. Although a romance never officially evolved from Kurt and Meggan, I always felt like Meggan missed her opportunity with choosing Brian over Kurt. I don’t want to spoil the events of the book in this issue too much, but Brian being as irresponsible as ever still remains the same with this dude. I just hope Maggie as intelligent as she is can remain safe around her father who doesn’t have much common sense and her mother who’s childlike and perpetually trusting behavior puts her in danger at times.

Overall this book was a great read for me as an Excalibur fan. My only criticism was some missing key characters in this book. Again, I’m trying to keep this spoiler-free but I would have liked to have seen all of my Excalibur friends in this issue to make it a true reunion. But perhaps that can be left for future issues. We’ll see.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So what sort of moments did Maggie have with Kurt? Oh god please no Twilight imprinting nonsense.

Not sure how I feel about the baby aging up fast. Let babies be babies for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Not sure how I feel about the baby aging up fast. Let babies be babies for a change.
    On the one hand, I kind of agree. On the other, babies in fiction are props and impediments, not characters. If they're not doing something positive for the character development of others, might as well fast-forward them through to where they can contribute to the story in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    On the one hand, I kind of agree. On the other, babies in fiction are props and impediments, not characters. If they're not doing something positive for the character development of others, might as well fast-forward them through to where they can contribute to the story in some way.
    Fast forward too much and you have them aging out of being a kid to a teen in a year.

Are they hinting at a Kurt/ Rachel break up with the whole thing with Meggan?

True. Hopefully it’s handled well.

I don't think Brian and Meggan need to worry about a baby holding them back .

I have to wonder if we'll see the baby again in the future?

Backdoor pilot. Won't be surprised if Excalibur shows up in the solicits a few months from now.

Psylocke no-show? She's Cap's sister, so she should've been there.

Does Guggenheim even know who Psylocke is?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    So what sort of moments did Maggie have with Kurt? Oh god please no Twilight imprinting nonsense.
    there was flirtation and at one point Meggan's empathic powers caused her to mimic Nightcrawler's appearance... and then there was Capt Britain jealousy and Nightcrawler got his leg broken (was that when that happened?)

Meggan later had a crush on Colossus right before her wedding, including a Colossus one shot, but that was during Ben Raab's run and some fans don't include that in their personal canon

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Does Guggenheim even know who Psylocke is?
    If the character:
    - isn’t Kitty
    - isn’t engaged to Kitty
    - hasn’t slept with Kitty
    ...then my guess is no. Judging by the way he writes the rest of the Gold team I’m pretty sure he thinks they’re just rumours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

Ultimate Member

Or maybe because Betsy isn't a blonde lady he just forgot that she was Brian's sister...

So why did no one know about the pregnancy until thr baby was already born? Why was there no trace of Psylocke whatsoever? Current writers just dont seem to go beyond surface level continuity.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Ultimate Member

It's especially odd since the whole run of Astonishing so far Betsy has been in London and could show up in a few minutes once the fight with the Shadow King and all is done...