Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I really like all the new Mutant Characters

51 62.20%
  • No I don't like all the new Mutant Characters

31 37.80%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I just wish they used Bishop and just took away his gun. His Mutant power is cool

I heard the show producer say this on jay and miles podcast for a interview. I guess testing showed X-Men had huge black following but he didn't wanna use Bishop because of the gun. Which upset me because spyke was horrible character
    I like Bishop but confess that because of the guns it was a while before I understood what his power actually was. Same with Cable.

Regarding Spyke and skateboards. From the Jay and Miles X-Men site: this letter from Dwayne McDuffie, an African-American comic writer, is a 100% satirical take on the black teens on skateboards thing, and it was written 12 years before X-Men Evolution aired.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Guns or no guns Bishop was/is a great character. Hey, back in the day(the 90s) Bishop was probably the most popular black male character in comics outside of Spawn(he wore a mask though). As far black characters at Marvel, only Storm eclipsed him. He had a good design(mullet notwithstanding), a catch phrase, a personality that flipped from stoic to berserk, and he was actually allowed to have facial hair. Seriously, before Bishop pretty much all black characters in comics were rockin' that baby face/clean shave look with the generic Kwame hair from Captain Planet... Bishop was a trend setter.
    Preach! Bishop was that dude for me when I was a jit. Definetly one of my favorite characters in all of media. I hated what marvel has done to him though, character assassination like many iconic muties
    Cyclops was right

I mostly don't care about the teenage characters, but I like the idea of the school as a refugee safe place for mutants... And a school of course. I think it's important that the X-Men are actually doing something for all the mutant kids in the world rather than just being a random mutant team, you know.

HOT take: Academy X, New Mutants, and Generation X were the only titles that could make a X-School concept work. Generation Hope, WatXM, Morrison-Men, and Young X-Men were all hot garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I mostly don't care about the teenage characters, but I like the idea of the school as a refugee safe place for mutants... And a school of course. I think it's important that the X-Men are actually doing something for all the mutant kids in the world rather than just being a random mutant team, you know.
    X-Corporation/Mutants sans Frontiers was the ticket for that. I like my X-Men to be an effective action team(s) that put out fires in the bubbling race war and shows the world mutants can be the world's best protectors. Most of them are not qualified to be school teachers, they are not baby sitters, and they actually endanger the concentrated masses of children more often than protect them. Storm was right to take the team underground and sever ties with the NM after Fall of the Mutants(assuming Magneto could hold the fort may have been an error in judgement).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    HOT take: Academy X, New Mutants, and Generation X were the only titles that could make a X-School concept work. Generation Hope, WatXM, Morrison-Men, and Young X-Men were all hot garbage.
    That's the trouble with having a proper X-team of adults and a sub-team of kids all being served in one book. No one has enough time.

A book either needs to be about the kids with some adult supervision like in Gen X and New Mutants, or the kid characters need to be unique and kept to a minimum like Kitty and Jubilee were when they first joined.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I like a big student body because it implies a larger mutant population. To me, the mutant metaphor works best when the mutant population is sizable and growing. With a world population of about seven billion people, there should be millions of mutants.

The students are also where the X-books get decent diversity representation, and that's important to me, especially considering the concept of the X-Men.

Yes for me. I like seeing the X-Men grow from students to team to I suppose activist and social leaders. It made sense. New students kept the angle of youth and self-discovery a lot and allowed the older characters to grow, both literally and narratively. Also I liked getting to know new characters, new personality dynamics, new teams forming and fighting.

+ seeing older X-Men step into the role of teachers and protectors. I don't particularly like it when the school is 100+ and the X-men shift to babysitters, I do think that the numbers should be more confined, but they should be constantly rotating as people enter and leave.
    Last edited by silence.; 01-07-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    That's the trouble with having a proper X-team of adults and a sub-team of kids all being served in one book. No one has enough time.

A book either needs to be about the kids with some adult supervision like in Gen X and New Mutants, or the kid characters need to be unique and kept to a minimum like Kitty and Jubilee were when they first joined.
    New Mutants Vol 2 came the close to perfection, I think. It was able to balance Dani, Amara, Shan, and Rahne with the students. Same with Strain's Gen X, finding a good balance with the OG class and the new Gen.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Except, as you say in this very OP, the big school with the X-Men as teachers came from his X1. So it's completely relevant to the topic at hand.

Prodigy was the best part of New X-Men/Academy, but he is a poor substitute for Everett, and is no where to be found at the moment... did the Avengers take him, where is he? Didn't he lose his powers too?
    Prodigy received a fate worse than death or limbo; he was put in the America Chavez solo. As for his powers, he did lose them but the Cuckoos restored his knowledge that he had gained from his time with his powers permanently. So while he won’t gain new knowledge/skills from others, he retains what he had gathered previously.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

The original was too small, even after they included the New Mutants.
    Morrison went too big. WAY too big. I don't want Hogwarts.
    But after Kyle/Yost's culling it was nearly perfect. There were about 25 kids at this point.

And I really have no love for the Generation Hope or kids like Eye-Boy, Nature Girl, the new Sprite, Shark Girl, Rico, etc.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    I agree with this, except I thought Gen Hope was ok.

BANNED

The Xavier institute being an actual school/shelter for needy mutants makes sense. However, most of the post Claremont new mutants are dumb and forgettable.

So I like the idea but not the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I like a big student body because it implies a larger mutant population. To me, the mutant metaphor works best when the mutant population is sizable and growing. With a world population of about seven billion people, there should be millions of mutants.

The students are also where the X-books get decent diversity representation, and that's important to me, especially considering the concept of the X-Men.
    If there are millions of mutants, the whole thing falls apart:

A) The X-Men can't handle millions of students.

B) 1 high end mutant can destroy the world. The idea of millions of mutants being in the world stretches the status quo to the breaking point(which is exactly why Marvel No More Mutanted the line just after Morrison's run).

I would have liked if the concepts Morrison(and Claremont in X-Treme) was exploring(with a full-fledged mutant minority subculture) had been fleshed out over the last 15 years or so instead, but all the Marvel books would have had to reflect that huge mutant population, and Marvel clearly wasn't having that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I like Roxy, Rockslide, Wind Dancer, Morph, Idie, and as of Christina Strain's run on Generation X: Quentin Quire. Honey Badger if she counts (but I don't think she applies).

I don't think I've liked any one class very much lol. I think Morrison's run made the school seem grand while Academy X made the school seem bloated. I don't feel as well-acquainted with this large generation of students in the same way I did with New Mutants and Generation X or even the Runaways and Young Avengers.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 01-07-2018 at 12:38 PM.