Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who is your 'self' character?

People have different reasons for having a favorite character. Some have favorites based on powers or appearance, some have favorites that they may admire or wish they had a bit more in common with, some have maybe really gotten into a character's story or personality, over time. Many of us, along the line, develop one or two that become a self-insert character for us, or a POV character. Maybe we feel a kinship with the character or something in the way they do things resonates with aspects of our own personality. We learn to view the world of the X-Men through the eyes of these characters.

So, do you have a "self" character or characters? Is that your favorite, as well?

If you do, what is it about them that's put them in that spot for you?

I'm interested to see who it is that people identify with and why. (It doesn't have to be an X-Man.)

My own are Nightcrawler and Storm.

With Nightcrawler, I suppose it started when I first picked up comics, way back when. Like many kids, I was one that didn't fit in, so 'misfit' Kurt had instant appeal.

As it turns out, part of the draw of the character was probably feeling a personality kinship. He became my window into the X-Men world. (Wearing a smile and making people laugh when possible, to cope -- a mask to keep anyone from getting too close, being the peacekeeper, being a person of faith)

For Storm, she started resonating with me over time. She's a strong, independent woman who doesn't much care what people think of her choices, but she also has the tendency to fall into a role of surrogate mother or big sister. I relate strongly to that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 01-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Love this topic!

For me, it would be Iceman / Kitty Pryde.

Iceman - I just connected with Bobby the first time I read X-Men 35 years ago and saw him on Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends. His ability to crack a joke in any situation is something I tend to do as well. His being the youngest member of the original team and me being the youngest in my family always made me connect with him too. I had no idea (nor did the writers) back then that Bobby would eventually come out of the closet. However, being a gay man myself, when he did, I couldn't believe it. The character I always felt most drawn to was ALSO gay...like me? So, that just cemented my connection to the character of Iceman.

Kitty Pryde - Similar to Bobby in some ways, when she first came on the scene, she was the youngest character on the team. But, moreso than that, she was more of the everyday girl and not so super like the other heroes of the time. Kitty wasn't regal like Storm, violent like Wolverine, tragic like Jean, stoic like Scott, etc. She was just normal and coming into this fantastic world. That was something I could totally relate to. Kitty formed a tight bond with characters like Wolverine, Storm, and Nightcrawler and eventually a romance with Colossus. She was a character who truly cherished her friendships, which was also something that was different at the time. I also cherish my friendships in a similar way and tend to form life long friendships very easily. I saw myself as Kitty and totally connected with her right off the bat.

Kitty Bobby 2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shadowcat99; 01-07-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Jean Grey. I always liked the idea of TK powers, even though Jean's were shown to be rather weak back then.

When Jean realized her potential as Phoenix, that was my character! I loved how she got to let loose and blast away at Firelord, easily holding her own. You know, sometimes, you just have to cut loose!

BANNED

Magneto - I don't like flatscans.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 01-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I don't think I have one within the X-Men, which is sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    So who is your non-X-men self character?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Not sad, healthy.

And good.

Who aim to be like - Nightcrawler: Charming, carefree, and a natural good friend. Goes through the world with an earned confidence and acceptance of himself despite what the world at large may think of him. A love of adventure but a deep committed faith as well.

Who I naturally tend to be like - Cyclops: Intelligent but socially stunted. Actually cares deeply about those around him but struggles to authentically show it. Also has trouble finding real balance in life. When he cares about something he can focus on it with laser-like intesity (which can be good), but if not careful can do so to the detriment of nearly everything else in his life (which can be bad). Can be difficult to get a long with but no question can be relied upon when the time comes.

Sundowhn!

I wrote a long time ago in a great thread that I can't remember the name of currently, that I most closely related to Iceman and Cyclops. I found that they were two sides of the same coin for me and my personality. And as a football, lacrosse, and crossfit coach, and school counselor, I find that that's a really good thing for me.

Bobby is always light hearted and always able to find the fun in any situation. He's very talented at what he does, and is trustworthy and dependable. For a long time, I also related to his troubles with dating. His outting kind of skews that a little bit because that isn't my reason for girl-trouble. That's only part of why I was able to connect to him though, so no matter.

With Scott... The older I get, the more I realize just how much I'm like him and less like Bobby. Determined, steadfast, and a bit of a perfectionist. The bottom line is: the job will get done and it'll be done correctly. People may not always agree with him, but his main goal is to keep everyone safe and accomplish whatever the task is. With the best for everybody in mind. A lot of people sometimes refer to me as stone cold, in a joking way, because I can be very quiet and stoic at times. I ran into one of my old lacrosse coaches at work the other day and he was very nice in telling me I was what he called the "captain's captain." I was a captain while I played football and lacrosse all throughout middle school and high school. That was a very nice compliment to receive. And while he was explaining that all to me, I couldn't help but think he was talking about Cyclops.

That paragraph was tough for me to write because I like to believe I'm a very humble person, and don't really like talking about myself. Something I think also describes Scott; humbleness.

(Even though he's not an X-Man, I think Hawkeye is a really good combination of these two. A reason why he's my favorite non-X-character)

I'm nothing at all like Wade Wilson. But Deadpool #1 by Fabian Nicieza was the first comic I ever bought and I've just always read him since.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Sundowhn!

I wrote a long time ago in a great thread that I can't remember the name of currently, that I most closely related to Iceman and Cyclops. I found that they were two sides of the same coin for me and my personality. And as a football, lacrosse, and crossfit coach, and school counselor, I find that that's a really good thing for me.

Bobby is always light hearted and always able to find the fun in any situation. He's very talented at what he does, and is trustworthy and dependable. For a long time, I also related to his troubles with dating. His outting kind of skews that a little bit because that isn't my reason for girl-trouble. That's only part of why I was able to connect to him though, so no matter.

With Scott... The older I get, the more I realize just how much I'm like him and less like Bobby. Determined, steadfast, and a bit of a perfectionist. The bottom line is: the job will get done and it'll be done correctly. People may not always agree with him, but his main goal is to keep everyone safe and accomplish whatever the task is. With the best for everybody in mind. A lot of people sometimes refer to me as stone cold, in a joking way, because I can be very quiet and stoic at times. I ran into one of my old lacrosse coaches at work the other day and he was very nice in telling me I was what he called the "captain's captain." I was a captain while I played football and lacrosse all throughout middle school and high school. That was a very nice compliment to receive. And while he was explaining that all to me, I couldn't help but think he was talking about Cyclops.

That paragraph was tough for me to write because I like to believe I'm a very humble person, and don't really like talking about myself. Something I think also describes Scott; humbleness.

(Even though he's not an X-Man, I think Hawkeye is a really good combination of these two. A reason why he's my favorite non-X-character)

I'm nothing at all like Wade Wilson. But Deadpool #1 by Fabian Nicieza was the first comic I ever bought and I've just always read him since.
    Hey you!

Yep, I remember that thread, from ages ago. If I knew where it was, I would've necro'd it.

There's a bunch of bigger names whose feelings I can temporarily sympathize with, but consistently? Consistently, I find my reflection in Doctor Nemesis. Obviously I'm no match for his intellect, but I do consider myself smart and love to make that clear by filling conversation space with meaningful-ish anecdotes and needlessly elaborate turns of phrase. Not to mention I can have a devil of a time being open with my feelings, and will retreat behind platitudes and pithy quips rather than be honest, as echoed by Nemesis' secondary mutation of Protesting Too Much.

docnemhasfeelings.jpg

^ Me, with other people, every day.

Wish I could say I related to Domino somehow but, pffft, no. She has more sex in a week than I'll have in my lifetime.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

For me, it's Cyclops. I was always the "good guy/goodie two-shoes" who always did the right thing and felt the need to uphold what I thought I had to be. Through some things that happened to me in my life, a "not so good" side emerged and allowed me to get in touch with more of myself. I gave myself permission to make hard decisions and to look out for myself and the people I cared about with no apologies.

Cyclops had a similar arc and I totally understand and relate to that character. I don't think his power is particularly cool, but dammit if he's not the coolest superhero ever to me. I understand the hard choices he makes and I can relate to all the heartbeat and manipulation that has plagued him his entire life. I go through the same, just not a on a cosmic/genetic or comic book scale.

I don't want him to come back anytime soon. I think Marvel has SEVERELY misunderstood his character and created a supposed "villain" where there should have been more nuance to his tough choices. I do want want him to come back eventually, but it has to be done right, with the right writer who CARES about the character and he has to come back in a very dope way-whether it be subtle or just a complete badass. And my favorite version is Phoenix Cyclops because he was handling that part of the phoenix force LIKE A BOSS and GETTIN' **** DONE!

As always, CYCLOPS WAS RIGHT!!

2590208-cyclops.jpg