Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...I can't see the image, but I assume it's Furnace Face ragdolling Loki, because nothing else makes sense.
    It's Dormammu doing a gloating monologue over fallen heroes until Loki physically jumps him from behind. Immediately after that page, Scarlet Witch hits the Evil Eye with a hex and Dormammu is sucked into the Eye like dust into a hand vacuum. As a side effect, Loki is driven insane, but also absorbs some of Dormammu's power.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Brother. *sighs* Why would Loki physically jump on Furnace Face? Brilliant plan, clever trickster.

Nothing else DOES make sense, except for the gloating monologue. It's his idiom.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Brother. *sighs* Why would Loki physically jump on Furnace Face? Brilliant plan, clever trickster.

Nothing else DOES make sense, except for the gloating monologue. It's his idiom.
    Loki was blind at the time, and had been trapped in a magic cage for a while. Once he realized that the heroes were defeated, Loki shapeshifted to escape the cage, and followed Dormammu's voice to get to melee range with him.

Okay...it's a little odd that Loki didn't, I don't know, do his thing of running away to come back later all prepped up or whathaveyou, but I suppose if he wanted to stick around and fight that makes some vague sense.

And of course it got him a powerup.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Okay...it's a little odd that Loki didn't, I don't know, do his thing of running away to come back later all prepped up or whathaveyou, but I suppose if he wanted to stick around and fight that makes some vague sense.

And of course it got him a powerup.
    The original plan was for Dormammu and Loki to team up, trick the Defenders into re-assembling the Evil Eye, and defeat everybody. But the Evil Eye isn't really designed for sharing. Loki realized that Dormammu posed a threat to all of existence, even Asgard, and recruited the Avengers into opposing the Defenders. Dormammu was in the process of converting the 616 Universe into a new section of the Dark Dimension when Loki jumped him. Loki was blind at the time but could still lift 30 tons, so HTH probably seemed like a plausible option at the time.

All of this makes me wonder about the Dorm's actual physical strength.

I mean, there are hints that he has vast superstrength, but he never uses it (why would he?), and there are some contradictory things. Anyone have feats?
    Why are we here?

All of this makes me wonder about the Dorm's actual physical strength.

I mean, there are hints that he has vast superstrength, but he never uses it (why would he?), and there are some contradictory things. Anyone have feats?
    I only found one strength feat for Dormammu:

Dormammu picking up the Hulk by his hair and throwing him looks impressive, but anybody who can lift 2 tons could do that.

I love that scene. "Suit yourself" lol
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member

When Thor had the Odin Force and was king, he was attacked by numerous heroes including Strange. IIRC, they had some magic gimmick from the other pantheons to weaken him. However, he cleaned their clock (with some damage to himself). That implies to me that Odin (who is on guard) takes this one.

I'm VERY iffy on that entire series being canon (the Defenders one, above), as it was basically played for laughs the whole way through.

I mean, I LOVED it, but I'm not sure I would go with anything in that series as valid, featwise. ^_^

I mean...look at how Furnace Face is talking. It's funny, in a Whedon-esque kind of way, but it's also TREMENDOUSLY out of character.
    Why are we here?

I seem to recall very early Classic Strange beating Dormammu in hth combat without powers but idk how valid that is

I'm VERY iffy on that entire series being canon (the Defenders one, above), as it was basically played for laughs the whole way through.

I mean, I LOVED it, but I'm not sure I would go with anything in that series as valid, featwise. ^_^

I mean...look at how Furnace Face is talking. It's funny, in a Whedon-esque kind of way, but it's also TREMENDOUSLY out of character.
    Perhaps it was a Dormbot. Where's my No-Prize?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I seem to recall very early Classic Strange beating Dormammu in hth combat without powers but idk how valid that is
    It's...one of those things that's vaguely contradictory. Maybe.

There are these weird-ass dueling items named 'Pincers of Power' (I wish I were making this up). They depend much on skill, a little on strength, and none on magical power. Furnace Face, being an arrogant dick, beats Strange but decides to call in all of his toadies to watch as he then crushes Strange without even bothering to use magic. Strange, being smart, gets him to put his war against the Earth dimension on the line for a wager.

...it's actually not that hard, The Dorm is easy to manipulate when you go for his ego.

Anyway, they tussle with these magical hedge-trimmers attached to their wrists. Furnace Face most definitely demonstrates far greater strength than Strange, but because they're using the Pincers, it's of less use, and Strange wins by dint of skill and cunning (big surprise).

The Dorm vows not to attack Earth (until he can weasel out of it somehow), sends them all home, and promptly throws a tantrum that almost destroys his dimension.

Early Dr. Strange was trippy.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-24-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Perhaps it was a Dormbot. Where's my No-Prize?
    Well, that's a blast from the past.
    Why are we here?

BANNED

powerboys scenario fits so neatly with that of ragnarok that now I think he faked his death cuz he knew universal death was coming in the form of thanos and wanted no part of it so he must have used Loki and Bela as a excuse and gone to one of the nine realms to become a farmer. lol.