Default Action Comics #995 Preview/Discussion

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Well I'll say this: Booth is in the right wheelhouse with Jurgens, Rapmund, and Dalhouse. This is the best use of his art I've seen in some time.

I also think with the flow and dialogue that we're seeing a bit of Kaminski shine through. Only a presumption, but that's great if he's the new editor permanently. Felt more like Jurgens did with different editors, "blue-seph" is particularly funny.

Spectacular Member

yeah superman, booster gold is the villain, but john and lois?? if krypton survives what will happen to them??

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omnihallows View Post
    yeah superman, booster gold is the villain, but john and lois?? if krypton survives what will happen to them??
    jon won't exist and then superman reborn happens again lol

I don't get why Jurgens is writing Superman like a douche AND an idiot here. He's continuing to blame Booster for his own mistake, and now he's going on about the possibility about all of Krypton surviving...dude you know a little bit about the dangers of tampering with time by now at this stage of your career. Make no mistake I'm all for a Superman who cares deeply for Krypton. This is well documented on my part. But if this timeline is changed, who the hell knows what else changes; you no longer come to Earth, you no longer raised by Ma and Pa, you never marry Lois and your freaking son no longer exists. Even if this shard thing is a new occurrence in the timestream, its made clear already that changes could affect everything, all timelines, thus HIS timeline. So he should know that in essence Booster just protected his life with his wife and the existence of his son. There's emotion--I'm all for him showing emotion over seeing these what might have beens--and then there's stupidity. He looks stupid here by his emotion coming out as anger at Booster over essentially helping to preserve his life as he knows it. That Booster has to remind him all this again is silly.

Then he says all he wants to know is if Jor-El survived. Okay. That's the original question and I get he's desperate to find out. But the situation he just left wasn't going to answer that question because that wasn't his Krypton. He wasn't witnessing events as they happened, he was witnessing a new shard of time where things are wildly different. So why is he acting like Booster pulling him away from there also robbed him of that chance as well? We're at a point now where Superman should be understanding this whole thing was a terrible idea and to answer his main question, he needs to go back to step 1. Meaning get back home and figure out another way to go about this that DOESN'T include recklessly traveling in time. He'll probably get there by the end of this issue, but its still bad characterization because with what he found out last issue, he should be there already. Hell he should have known without Booster's help the second he realized he wasn't on the same Krypton that it would thus be impossible for him to get the answer he sought there. For the sake of the plot Superman is looking really dense.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Uh... this is definitely the issue where they get on the same page. Booster already looks less worried about what Superman was attempting

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Uh... this is definitely the issue where they get on the same page. Booster already looks less worried about what Superman was attempting
    Well, he was able to drag Supes out of that crazy timeline that would have wrecked who knows what else going forward. So there is that.

Spectacular Member

all the power, no responsibility, and remember that flash has already done the same

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, he was able to drag Supes out of that crazy timeline that would have wrecked who knows what else going forward. So there is that.
    True, his job is done on that front, but I'd also imagine that bringing an assailant into the timeline from which he stole all his tech changes his position a bit in relation to Superman.

He's going to find out that from where Superman sits, time is already screwed up.

Booth's Superman reminds me of V Ken Marion's art on Trinity. Good preview and thanks for sharing it.