Default Flashpoint movie & Wonder Woman

There's been talk about how Warner/DC might try to use Flashpoint to give the DCEU a soft reboot. Personally, I'd rather they just focus on self-contained solo movies from now on, but it got me thinking what they could do and how it would erase the more divisive elements of DC's movie-verse.

Now I think most Wonder Woman fans are hoping, if they do Flashpoint, they won't stick to the comic story when it pertains to Diana. I sure as hell don't want to see genocidal Wonder Woman chopping off Mera's head and killing children. I don't know--or really care--what the rest of the story ends up being...I just hope we don't have to witness that.

But relevant is the DCEU Diana has been around since World War I. According to Justice League, she never stopped being a hero, she just wasn't public about it because Steve's death and reasons.

So here's my thought: at some point during Flashpoint, Flash goes back in time to fix whatever has gone wrong, and while in the past, crosses paths with Diana. He convinces her to help him, and in the process, she reveals herself as Wonder Woman to the world. And that winds up being the critical thing that changes history.

Consider the ripple affect:
    - Wonder Woman goes public and she becomes an inspiration to the world from that point on.

- Because Diana, a super-powered being, is such a positive influence, Jonathon Kent doesn't discourage Clark from using his powers; in essence acting more like the Pa Kent we know from the comics. Therefore Clark becomes the Superman we know and love earlier in his life, and goes on to become a proper beacon of hope like in the comics.

- Superman and Wonder Woman become allies and they inspire other heroes like Flash and Aquaman to be more open with their heroics, and it's Zod's invasion that leads to the formation of the Justice League. Together they defeat the evil Kryptonians, preventing Metropolis from getting destroyed and without Superman having to kill Zod.
    Also, suggesting the League can defeat an army of Kryptonians might help wash out the bad taste of Justice League reducing them to a bunch of chumps who can't do anything without Superman.

- If Metropolis isn't destroyed, Batman doesn't want to kill Superman and if Zod's not dead, Luthor doesn't create Doomsday. No Doomsday, Superman doesn't die.

- Superman never dies, no Steppenwolf. Therefore, no slaughtered Amazons and we can get a proper invasion story with Darkseid.

In essence, to fix the DCEU, they need to make Wonder Woman the most important character and centerpiece of the universe.

I joke, but if Warner/DC is serious about using Flashpoint to "fix" the DCEU, that might not be a bad way to go about it. And Wonder Woman is, thus far, their biggest success and has been embraced by audiences as the MVP of the franchise. Why not capitalize?

But I'm just spit-balling. As said, I personally would prefer they stick to solo movies and not worry about crossovers and continuity.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 01-08-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Sounds pretty good to me. But, I'm not sure whether they would "reboot" the DCEU to that extent. Certainly, I wish they would - Wonder Woman as the first superhero. An optimistic and inspiring Superman. Batman played by another actor who actually wants the role.

Depending upon how well the solo movie does, they may need to "reboot" Aquaman too. Although the general audience seems to love Khal Aquaman.

It would be a little awkward - basically wiping out Man of Steel, Dawn of Justice and Justice League from the "canon", but I think it would be worth it.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

If it could make us forget everything, and I mean everything, about the Justice League movie, then I am all for it.

Otherwise, just let Superman deal with everything, since he pretty much does in that movie.

I think Flashpoint is a big mistake, honestly. If they use this to "soft reboot" the universe (at least the non-Wonder Woman parts of it), that's basically like admitting "yeah we fucked up."

It would be smarter to just ignore the poorly-received movies and move on from there. Or just put all the focus on Wonder Woman.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think Flashpoint is a big mistake, honestly. If they use this to "soft reboot" the universe (at least the non-Wonder Woman parts of it), that's basically like admitting "yeah we fucked up."

It would be smarter to just ignore the poorly-received movies and move on from there. Or just put all the focus on Wonder Woman.
    Even if they move forward from here, I can't get over the jobbing the Justice League did to Superman. It is canon, so to speak. The better question is, why is there a Justice League when all you need is Superman?

If they got rid of Superman for future Justice League movies, then that would make more sense. Otherwise, he would just show us how inconsequential the rest of the league is compared to him.

Retired

The wow factor in a Flashpoint or better yet a Crisis on Infinite Earths scenario is the chance to show so many alternative versions of the characters. It's just not as fun if Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are not in the movie and instead the latest actors cast as Batman and Superman are. Even if it's just Affleck that's replaced--they can't show scenes in the original timeline with his characer or they would have to do a David Bradley Doctor Who fill-in. And then what's the point?

Ideally, such a movie would have the right to use not just Affleck and Cavill but Routh and Clooney--or at least out takes from their movies and/or CGI re-creations. In fact, as much footage from all the DC movies and TV shows as they could fit into the run time should be in the movie. But, that's unlikely just for all the royalities they would have to pay out to use their likenesses.

I hadn't thought of your specific plot changes, but I was thinking Flashpoint could definitely serve as a way to reboot the look and tone of the DCEU - as well as introduce audiences to the time-honored comic book conventions or altered timelines, evil doppelgangers, and retcons in one fell swoop.

I'm not against it. As with most things, it's how it's executed that matters.