Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Is it weird that Supergirl and Ms. Marvel have the same last name?

And yes I just can't bring myself to call her Captain Marvel. Sorry.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Yes. I've always thought about that too. And that they are both blonde, are super strong, can fly, are a spin off/female version of another superhero and have a connection to aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    And yes I just can't bring myself to call her Captain Marvel. Sorry.
    Same here. Billy Batson is Captain Marvel to me. With Mar-vel a close second.

Also. Carol/Kara. Coincidence?

Well they couldn't give her Mary Marvel's look, hair color and name, (although the sash, and once wore lightning too)
    So maybe they went to DC's other most iconic Super heroine. Kara Danvers ≈ Carol Danvers
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-08-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I don't know if there was ever a deliberate connection in Marvel's decision to give Carol a name so similar to Supergirl's, but DC definitely had the name first. Supergirl had the Danvers name a solid seven years before Ms. Marvel was created.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Well they couldn't give her Mary Marvel's look, hair color and name, (although the sash, and once wore lightning too)
    So maybe they went to DC's other most iconic Super heroine. Kara Danvers ≈ Carol Danvers
    Cool. Never thought about her in comparison to Mary Marvel. But you'r right.

I always wondered why Mar-vel's symbol was a star and Ms Marvel's was a lightning bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    Also. Carol/Kara. Coincidence?
    It was better when Kara went by Linda Danvers. Kara Danvers sounds far more like Carol Danvers. This is a thing the show started that I don’t like. Along with the pronunciation. It had been CARE-UH in nearly all of her other appearances until then. Also, keeping a secret identity with the same first name is kind of stupid.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

If I recall correctly Carol's creator/writer Roy Thomas joked at one point that Kara might've subconsciously been why he chose the name Danvers. But that it was accidental and if he realized it he would've made Carol's last name something different.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It was better when Kara went by Linda Danvers. Kara Danvers sounds far more like Carol Danvers. This is a thing the show started that I don’t like. Along with the pronunciation. It had been CARE-UH in nearly all of her other appearances until then. Also, keeping a secret identity with the same first name is kind of stupid.
    At least in the show she's not publicly known by her Kryptonian name as well. Just as Supergirl.

Retired

I remember buying MS. MARVEL No. 1 in 1976 and being upset that they stole the Kara Zor-El/Linda Lee Danvers name for their new super-girl. And it was all the more irritating that Gerry Conway was the writer--given he had already worked for the Superman comics at DC (not to mention co-creating Power Girl).

But my understanding is that Carol Danvers already existed as a character in the Marvel universe--just not a super-hero. Whoever introduced the character originally--Roy Thomas--should hang his head in shame. Maybe he only meant it as an homage to a DC character--but by selecting that moniker, he probably made it inevitable that Carol would become a super-girl. And Roy Thomas was the guy who stole the Captain Marvel name for his Kree warrior, making it impossible for DC to use that name.

To add insult to injury, there were other creative talents that worked on Ms. Marvel and Supergirl--like Jim Mooney and Carmine Infantino. Good grief.

I also prefer the Pre-Crisis explanation of Argo having survived the explosion for longer and her being actually younger than Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I also prefer the Pre-Crisis explanation of Argo having survived the explosion for longer and her being actually younger than Clark.
    Having Kara be chronologically older but physically younger is an interesting twist though. Plus it lets her know Jor-El and Lara personally so she can relate her memories of them to Clark first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Having Kara be chronologically older but physically younger is an interesting twist though. Plus it lets her know Jor-El and Lara personally so she can relate her memories of them to Clark first hand.
    Still don’t like it.

I don’t think it was weird or a coincidence, I think it was pretty blatant.

Creating a character who is an homage or inspired by Supergirl is no big deal as doppelgängers are pretty common in comics. Hell, Supergirl herself was created because of the popularity of Mary Marvel. Otto Binder, the creator of Mary Marvel, also created Supergirl. I just think it was pretty unimaginative to give Miss Marvel the last name Danvers when she’s pretty clearly inspired by Linda Danvers aka Supergirl. Miss Marvel even flew around with a sash like Shazam/Captain Marvel and had what looked like an ‘S’ on the front of her costume at one time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

What's weird is that Ms./Captain Marvel isn't Carol Connelly, Carol Cowan. or something like that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?