Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Glad we finally brought race and rape into the big discussion, cause it was really lagging.
    It was simply setting the time of when the books was made. At the time there was little representation of other people than white males as heroes. The second point was made because I would like to point out (as I see it) there is no reason to be angry if a character is homage to another character. There are more serious problems in both comics and life. The statements wasn't made to have a discussion about representation in comics nor the rape of Ms. Marvel. There is two threads on this board for those who wants to debate those topics.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 01-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Carol Danvers was not a super-heroine when she was first introduced by Roy Thomas. She was a pretty, blonde supporting character. Of which there were hundreds in comic books. I guess Danvers is not an uncommon name, but when I first started reading about Supergirl, I thought Danvers was an odd name. And I wondered why they came up with that.

I'll just accept that Roy Thomas had a momentary lapse at his young comic book collecting age and forgot about Linda Danvers. But it would frankly make a better story if he deliberately chose that name for the pretty blonde, if he was thinking of Supergirl. RT did that thing quite a lot in those days--purely as a tribute to DC, out of love for the characters. Him forgetting is an unsatisfying anecdote.

Is there someone famous in history or a fictional character that was named Danvers before? I feel like I should know the name from somewhere. And that would explain why it was floating around in the '50s and '60s. A lot of other comic book characters have names drawn from some other source--including Kent, Lane, Lang, Wayne, Grayson, Allen, Palmer, Gardner, Rogers.
    There is Danvers, Massachusetts located on the Danvers river. That was where the Salem witch trials took place. Also a Danvers Illinois, a Danvers Minnesota, and a Danvers Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    There was Hawkgirl (1940), Wonder Woman (1941), Liberty Belle (1942), Black Canary (1947), Batwoman (1956), Saturn Girl (1958), Supergirl (1959), Lady Blackhawk (1959) Mera (1963), Zatanna (1964) Batgirl (1967)
    And that's just DC. Marvel had Invisible Girl, Marvel Girl, and Wasp at least.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    There was Hawkgirl (1940), Wonder Woman (1941), Liberty Belle (1942), Black Canary (1947), Batwoman (1956), Saturn Girl (1958), Supergirl (1959), Lady Blackhawk (1959) Mera (1963), Zatanna (1964) Batgirl (1967)
    Also, Phantom Girl (1961), Shrinking Violet (1961), Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel (1961), Night Girl (1963), Dream Girl (1964), Katma Tui (1964), Wonder Girl (1965), Princess Projectra (1966), White Witch (1966), Aquagirl (Tula) (1967), Dolphin (1968), and Shadow Lass (1968).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    To buy is not to steal in anyway way or form. You could say acquire, argue for or against such a purchase is morally wrong or right. You can argue for why you think such a acquisition should be illegal. However it will never become stealing in anyway shape or form. An such a statment is does misinformation based upon what I person feels. Just because somebody feels something is stealing doesn't make it so. By that defintion I could say DC have stolen a lot of characters from other publisher (Captain Marvel/Shazam, Wonder Woman, Charlton characters and milestone characters and probably a few more). DC haven't stole them, DC have brought them fair and square. You can argue who owned this characters in the first place and if the sold be own by the creators. You can think DC shouldn't go around and acquiring other companies characters but rather create their own but it is not stealing.
    Whatever this stealing was from DC or Fawcett is not real the point. The point is the claim of stealing is just wrong. Even tricked would be wrong because Marvel didn't deceive anybody. Fawcett didn't renew their copyright and it was automatically renewed because Fawcett didn't published Captain America since they where being sued by DC.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but we're talking about the fact that they created a new character, gave him the name of an existing character and then trademarked the name. They didn't buy it.

Carol Danvers was not a super-heroine when she was first introduced by Roy Thomas. She was a pretty, blonde supporting character. Of which there were hundreds in comic books. I guess Danvers is not an uncommon name, but when I first started reading about Supergirl, I thought Danvers was an odd name. And I wondered why they came up with that.

I'll just accept that Roy Thomas had a momentary lapse at his young comic book collecting age and forgot about Linda Danvers. But it would frankly make a better story if he deliberately chose that name for the pretty blonde, if he was thinking of Supergirl. RT did that thing quite a lot in those days--purely as a tribute to DC, out of love for the characters. Him forgetting is an unsatisfying anecdote.

Is there someone famous in history or a fictional character that was named Danvers before? I feel like I should know the name from somewhere. And that would explain why it was floating around in the '50s and '60s. A lot of other comic book characters have names drawn from some other source--including Kent, Lane, Lang, Wayne, Grayson, Allen, Palmer, Gardner, Rogers.
    Well, in the old 1940 Alfred Hitchcock movieRebecca the mean old Governess/Housekeeper was named Mrs Danvers!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, in the old 1940 Alfred Hitchcock movieRebecca the mean old Governess/Housekeeper was named Mrs Danvers!
    That could be it! Both the movie and the book were quite famous back in the day and may have influenced the people at DC and Marvel--even if on a subconscious level. In that case, Danvers would seem an ambiguouse name for Linda's adoptive parents, given the housekeeper appears malevolent at first. Fred and Edna were never as wholesome as Jonathan and Martha.

That could be it! Both the movie and the book were quite famous back in the day and may have influenced the people at DC and Marvel--even if on a subconscious level. In that case, Danvers would seem an ambiguouse name for Linda's adoptive parents, given the housekeeper appears malevolent at first. Fred and Edna were never as wholesome as Jonathan and Martha.
    Yes, I believe so!

I have seen many old movies and some TV shows with characters and/or names that immediately remind me of things they used in the comics---but so many that I forget them. But all the creators from Stan to Roy Thomas and beyond have used the mediums.

An example is Wasp Woman movie, name is Janet owner of the company, petite, pretty and rich. Instantly reminded me of Janet Van Dyne!