Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Infinity, Inc. -- how to revive the 80s team

I was a big fan of the sons and daughters or the original JSA. The stories and art could be lackluster at times, but the first 10 or so issues by Thomas, Ordway and Machalan were top notch. Because they have been mostly off the page since the late 80s, there doesn't seem to be much demand for the group -- or the stories in which they appeared. Heck, the second trade collecting the great Generations Saga was cancelled long ago -- so fans are left with only volume one -- better than nothing, I guess.

I don't know what DC has planned for JSA -- if they want to separate them from WWII, I'll be a bit disappointed, but can understand why they may go in that direction. If they want to keep the JSA time locked in their 30s or 40s -- there doesn't seem much likelihood of an Infiniticy Inc. revival.

I think, however, they may be idea for a series similar to CW's Legends or Marvel's Exiles. They could be from a possible future, past -- whatever -- and work to fix damaged timelines -- or intercede on parallel Earths as needed. I just think Obsidian, Fury, Jade, Nuklon and Hector Hall (who was a great choice for Dr. Fate) deserve a better fate than comic book limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't know what DC has planned for JSA -- if they want to separate them from WWII, I'll be a bit disappointed, but can understand why they may go in that direction. If they want to keep the JSA time locked in their 30s or 40s -- there doesn't seem much likelihood of an Infiniticy Inc. revival.
    Until DC eventually gets around to revealing what the f#@& is going on with the JSA and if/how much of their past history is kept/revised, there's no point even thinking about the Infinity Inc. or legacy JSA members and if/how they fit in to this.
    Once DC reveals if/how/where a "JSA" belongs, then people can figure out how offspring/legacy heroes could be brought back or relaunched based on the scenario DC settles on.
    (Unfortunately, we're still waiting for DC to do something about returning some form of the JSA a-year-and-a-half after Rebirth began.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Until DC eventually gets around to revealing what the f#@& is going on with the JSA and if/how much of their past history is kept/revised, there's no point even thinking about the Infinity Inc. or legacy JSA members and if/how they fit in to this.
    Once DC reveals if/how/where a "JSA" belongs, then people can figure out how offspring/legacy heroes could be brought back or relaunched based on the scenario DC settles on.
    (Unfortunately, we're still waiting for DC to do something about returning some form of the JSA a-year-and-a-half after Rebirth began.)
    I totally agree.

Infinity Inc. worked on Earth 2 as the children of the JSA. Simple and straight-forward.

After COIE, Infinity Inc. did not work because too much had changed...and the retcons were awful. Clutter-Earth was a hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A) What he said
    B) QFT
    C) This
    D) All of the above

I will add that COIE killed the original Infinity by basically eliminating the JSA from their cast and making them just another teen/young adult team. They were best when dealing with their parents and the struggles of growing up in superhero families.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I will add that COIE killed the original Infinity by basically eliminating the JSA from their cast and making them just another teen/young adult team. They were best when dealing with their parents and the struggles of growing up in superhero families.
    Actually most of them kept iirc their connection to the JSA, the only one where they had to do a retcon was iirc Fury (and Powergirl but she wasn't really a member).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Actually most of them kept iirc their connection to the JSA, the only one where they had to do a retcon was iirc Fury (and Powergirl but she wasn't really a member).
    The connections were still there, but interactions weren't as the team was shuffled off to limbo. Your father being Green Lantern doesn't mean anything unless we see the kids and father occasionally interacting. Without the older generation there, they lost their distinctive edge.

Extraordinary Member

The connections were still there, but interactions weren't as the team was shuffled off to limbo. Your father being Green Lantern doesn't mean anything unless we see the kids and father occasionally interacting. Without the older generation there, they lost their distinctive edge.
    I think the problem was ore the lack of bigger crossovers and events post crisis, and that the felt on the Post Crisis Earth with all the other Teams, just way less important than on Earth 2 where they were appart from the JSA the only team, and the only team with a book that was set at the current point in time (the JSA had iirc only in All-Star-Squadron which was set during WWII).

New costumes with updated looks, new villains, great art and stories...

Yeah, I ask for a LOT!

The biggest hurdle would be that Infinity, Inc. is missing they key ingredient of the JSA.

There are ways around this, but without bringing the the JSA back and positioning them into DC's past, the Infinity, Inc. team simply would not be the same and readers would be constantly comparing any reboot. Which is understandable, considering their original title ran for over 50 issues.

One alternative would be to put Infinity, Inc. in Batman Beyond's timeframe. That way, the JSA could return in the present with Doomsday Clock and their kids would be reaching their 20s at about the right time to be heroes of the near future.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Fantastic Member

With all of the recent ballyhoo about DC's new timeline it feels as if the sons and daughters of the original Justice Society of America have been left out in the veritable cold. Are Albert, Lyta, Norda, Todd and all the rest completely wiped out? What about non Infinity members who have JSA connections such as Jack Knight? Are these wonderful characters too much of a can of worms for DC to ever completely bring back?
    Last edited by Stingo; 10-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    With all of the recent ballyhoo about DC's new timeline it feels as if the sons and daughters of the original Justice Society of America have been left out in the veritable cold. Are Albert, Lyta, Norda, Todd and all the rest completely wiped out? What about non Infinity members who have JSA connections such as Jack Knight? Are these wonderful characters too much of a can of worms for DC to ever completely bring back?
    I am hoping that any mention of Infinity, Inc. would be too telling of DC's plans to bring the JSA back. While we're safe in assuming they are being reintroduced to continuity, the age of the characters or the method they might skip years is still undefined. Infinity, Inc. would mean the JSA would be back as an older generation.

The new timeline thus far seems to blithely disregard the aging problem (Tim Drake becomes Robin in G3Y4, which would mean eleven years of aging before G4 begins; if he was 13 when he became Robin, he should be 29 now). If they have built-in de-aging features to compensate for this sort of thing (not how I'd handle it; but whatever), those would potentially allow for any sort of age discrepancy between the JSA and their kids: after all, the JSA used to be older than they are now.

I'm hoping that the JSA's full history gets restored in its broad strokes, if not specific details; and this would include both Infinity Inc. and the 90s/00s JSA. I don't just want Skyman, Jade, Obsidian, Silver Scarab, Fury, and Northwind back in continuity; I also want Stargirl, Cyclone, Tomcat, Jakeem Thunder, and the rest of that bunch back. (Mostly. I'm OK if Magog remains in Limbo.)
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

What if they made the JSA have two timelines...
    One where they're the current JSA of whatever form that DC puts them as following Doomsday Clock.
    And the other that has Infinity, Inc.

Then Infinity, Inc. pulls a Days of Future Past to come back to the past (our present) to prevent a terrible disaster, but end up in the present with no way back.
    Then when the first JSA member has a kid, they discover that the timeline is different because the gender of the baby is not the same.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    The new timeline thus far seems to blithely disregard the aging problem (Tim Drake becomes Robin in G3Y4, which would mean eleven years of aging before G4 begins; if he was 13 when he became Robin, he should be 29 now). If they have built-in de-aging features to compensate for this sort of thing (not how I'd handle it; but whatever), those would potentially allow for any sort of age discrepancy between the JSA and their kids: after all, the JSA used to be older than they are now.

I'm hoping that the JSA's full history gets restored in its broad strokes, if not specific details; and this would include both Infinity Inc. and the 90s/00s JSA. I don't just want Skyman, Jade, Obsidian, Silver Scarab, Fury, and Northwind back in continuity; I also want Stargirl, Cyclone, Tomcat, Jakeem Thunder, and the rest of that bunch back. (Mostly. I'm OK if Magog remains in Limbo.)
    The point is that we don't know how old the JSA are "now". The existence of an Infinity, Inc. would mean the JSA were old enough to have adult kids.

The JSA, to me, represent a multi-generation team of the first heroes and their offspring/legacies. As a bunch of adult heroes timelost in the present day the same age with no families to speak of would be a waste. A JSA like that is basically another JL with half its heroes in different costumes with different identities.

The point is that we don't know how old the JSA are "now". The existence of an Infinity, Inc. would mean the JSA were old enough to have adult kids.
    Not if they've been de-aged but their kids haven't.

The JSA, to me, represent a multi-generation team of the first heroes and their offspring/legacies. As a bunch of adult heroes timelost in the present day the same age with no families to speak of would be a waste. A JSA like that is basically another JL with half its heroes in different costumes with different identities.
    Agreed. And for what it's worth, this is independent of whether the JSA should hail from the Primary Earth's past or from another Earth: in both cases, if they don't incorporate the multigenerational aspect of Infinity Inc. and the JSA All-Stars, they're “just” another iteration of the Justice League.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.