Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is the third Robinson issue where another character espouses exposition, a character the reader doesn't have much attention too...Doing this doesn't make me care about Kapatelis, or Jason, or Grail.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I dare to say this was the best issue Mr. Robinson has written. He somehow feels more comfortable writing a story he came up with by himself than a mandatory thing he was not interested in doing.

I liked Vanessa's voice here, very sympathetic, although Julia's death pisses me off a little. She doesn't even look remotely like the Julia we know. Yeah, characters can look different, but it just seemed lack of care (not to say disrespect) for such important characters in WW's mythos. I'm currently halfway through my first read of Pérez's era, and boy are those good characters who deserved a decent comeback.

But I liked Vanessa and actually think her origin is pretty straightforward in here. Great to see everything condensed in one issue after the "sausage filling" (unnecessarily long writing that could use some conciseness), as we Brazilians say, that was the previous arc.

Jason is a d***head, but a more believable character than he ever was in the previous issues. Much more than Diana, who is acting extremely out of character once more. But great dialogue about the responsibility of being a hero. It's not all fun and games after all.

Diana's connection to Steve is also missing something (demonstrations of love, perhaps?). Hope to see a good interaction between them both to fix that in the next issue(s).

The house by the beach was also a good continuation to Rucka's story. I take back whatt I said before about Robinson not even reading that stuff before writing. He should inspire his work on that version of Diana too :P (just my opinion. I admmit his Diana is very badass though).

Overall, pretty solid issue. That doesn't mean much, but I'm more excited than ever in this run to find out what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Julia's death was so vague and glossed over that, being a comic book, I wouldn't be surprised if she's not really dead at all. Granted it works just the way it was written if indeed its straightforward, but again, being a comic, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to her fate.
    Maybe she is but she will be resurrected by Circe as a way to manipulate Swan.

I've been done with this series for a couple of issues now but this issue really cements how totally done with it I am. As far as I'm concerned, this run is currently sitting below the Finches, but still above Picoult in terms of worst-written WW ever. But just you wait! I'm sure ol' Justice Jim has a few tricks up his sleeve left to topple that record!

Vanessa basically goes crazy and evil because Diana -- a vague acquaintance of hers that she's inflated in her mind into being her best friend -- stops visiting her at the hospital and then her mother dies offscreen in a car crash. First of all, way to reinforce the Evil Crip stereotype, Robinson. Second of all, if you're gonna rehash a story that's already been told, maybe don't rehash it in a way that's completely inferior to every iteration of it that's been done.

Also, clearly what we really wanna read this book for is Wonder Woman babysitting her adult brother.

Yeah. So done. So disappointed. You always think the bar can't get lower with WW writers and yet here we are.

I thought I disliked Jason, but until I read this issue, I had no idea just how much I disliked Jason. I have no idea how a young man raised in a "small fishing village" (which they keep mentioning to explain his naiveté) learns so quickly how to act like a stereotypical doucehbro fratboy, but watching Diana play Stern Mom to him is something I have no interest in whatsoever. Ever since he's been introduced, his actions, and Diana's reactions to them, have made very little sense and done nothing to make me want to see more of him. He's the second-worst addition to her family ever. Or maybe just the worst.

Vanessa's origin reminded me a little too much of what recently saw of Eobard Thawne in Flash. See, she thought Diana was her bestest friend, but it turns out that Vanessa's not really that special after all (Diana, one of the busiest superheroes in the world, only spent weeks visiting her rather than months before returning to her vocation of saving the lives of other people), so Vanessa turns into a murderous supervillain. I'm assuming in this case there is some level of mind-influencing going on - either deliberately by some other villain, or as an unknown side effect of the nanotechnology they're using her aa a guinea pig for.

(Of course, many of us thought that there would be a mind-control explanation for Jason assisting Grail, but in fact it just turns out that he's a naive young demigod brought up in a small fishing village.)

The fact that the police told Vanessa that Julia's death was a "freak accident" suggests to me that actually there was something more complicated involved. I'm just not the least bit sure I'm curious enough to come back and find out.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

BANNED

its weird how the previous wreck of a arc was not even mentioned or what the ramifications of Zeus death were for diana and Jason. shoudnt Jason and Diana fear heras wrath as Zeus died trying to save them while they just watched helplessly more than ever now requiring them to be extra circumspect to avoid being in the public eye? If Jason can throw a party after his father's death and Hercules with whole he was much more close then he just doesn't care about his family or anyone else and is just a douchebag. not to mention why did he ever bother to hide when he could throw parties and paint the town red without attracting divine wrath. So silly.

Looks like I'll be giving this a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    shoudnt Jason and Diana fear heras wrath...
    Yeah, that whole question seems to have been dropped. And, of course, the reconciliation of Diana and Hera was part of "the Lies," so we have no idea how Hera reacted once she found out Zeus had a one-night stand with Hippolyta, resulting in two kids.

In fact, we don't even know - or maybe I just can't remember - when, in "The Truth" version of things, Diana found out she was Zeus's daughter. Or if Hippolyta ever told her, and mostly everyone else, the lie about the clay origin (in context, a very poor lie to choose).

In fact, I don't feel like I know much about Diana's life. At least in Azzarello's run (regardless of how I feel about the Zeus-daddy origin and the sex-pirate killer Amazons, which, once more for the record, is A Big Thumbs Down) we got to see, on an issue-by-issue basis, Diana find out things and react to them. Now, after "The Truth," everything is much more vague. Is that a good direction to be going in?
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 01-11-2018 at 03:53 AM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Is that a good direction to be going in?
    If you even have to ask the question, you probably have an answer.

Passing on this, ..but sounds like a great issue for loyal fans, who care about the characters and know the mythos, really well. I think #39 is going to be the must-see and possibly James's best, so far.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-11-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The art was good. I really liked how Wonder Woman looked in this issue. And I liked this story better than the last two.

They are using all three of their origins.valrie being a science experiment, Helena being a ballet and Vanessa being a girl Diana got closer to. I do think there is a way to make that work. Since this is still not finished let’s see.

I wonder if they had used Helena how would you want them to have done her origins ? I mean since you looked plain maybe comestics or give her Ares origin.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 01-11-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Vanessa's origin was horribly cliche, especially with her full character development and history with Diana was summed up in a few pages as opposed to the original, longstanding relationship set up under Perez. This rushed backstory expositions feel more like weird retcons than taking the time to develop full personalities.

Vanessa's origin being based on Cyborg? A top secret project dealing with Apokoliptan technology now being used by doctors in a hospital? Made no sense to me at all. Hope Vic is at least making a buck off of the medical profession using his exceedingly confidential and proprietary technology

Diana as a lecturing mother figure just...no. Ditto Jason as a 'I've lived my life in a small town and don't know any better' frat boy. Didn't his issue show him as a guy who would go out on the town? I don't have the issue in front of me, but I really swore out loud at the line from Diana about being a nobody gutting fish. It was so condescending and obnoxious that it was an out-of-character smack in the face.

I really like Steve and Diana together, but I'm not seeing any togetherness, just work partners. There is zero chemistry being written between the two, and 'Angel' is just being overused.

A slight improvement over the last arc, but not much of one I'm afraid.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    its weird how the previous wreck of a arc was not even mentioned or what the ramifications of Zeus death were for diana and Jason. shoudnt Jason and Diana fear heras wrath as Zeus died trying to save them while they just watched helplessly more than ever now requiring them to be extra circumspect to avoid being in the public eye? If Jason can throw a party after his father's death and Hercules with whole he was much more close then he just doesn't care about his family or anyone else and is just a douchebag. not to mention why did he ever bother to hide when he could throw parties and paint the town red without attracting divine wrath. So silly.
    Since James Robinson is taking over trinity and the next arc in that book is WW focused and dealing with trying to find the amazons before Darkseid, I'm guessing that aftermath will be dealt with in that book.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like Vanessa's new origin. Let's face it, with the changes made to Wonder Woman in recent years, it would be difficult for her to have met Vanessa and Julia the same way she did in the Perez retcon. Vanessa's story is quite tragic and it makes for an excellent Two-face like villain for Wonder Woman. Now, the big question is who gave Vanessa her abilities and pushed her over the edge of sanity? I'm thinking it's Dr. Psycho.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.