Default Venom#160 thoughts

Hey everyone just wondering how you feel about this issue and part 5 of this crossover. I personally enjoy it. I like how everyone got a chance to shine from Flash to Eddie and the interaction between Spiderman and Venom after making that shield for him. Hoepfully the conclusion will be satisfying too.

Personally, I didn't really feel anything for this issue. The bad guys were weak, and I don't really see the big deal about these 5 families that Black Cat and Price were going on about. At the end, all the little face symbiotes merge into one on Price. We've seen Spidey and Venom team up to fight another symbiote before when the villain was a lot more terrifying (Carnage). Slott will probably give Price some ridiculous upgrade next issue to make the stakes seem real, and I'm sure will get a lot of rushed technobabble nonsense in the dialogue explaining it.

At least Spidey saved Venom in this issue, I guess that was something.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Spectacular Member

I was going to wait to get the story in trade if it turned out decent, but having Black Cat fighting with the good guys again was a big enough pull for me to get the issue, and I liked it. Granted it was nothing particularly groundbreaking about the issue, but it had some good comic book action.

I also liked Spider-Man saving Venom and got a chuckle out if the "if you tell anyone I saved you, I'll lie" line.

This is probably the best issue so far, the rest of the story felt, bland, this one is less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Docz View Post
    I was going to wait to get the story in trade if it turned out decent, but having Black Cat fighting with the good guys again was a big enough pull for me to get the issue, and I liked it. Granted it was nothing particularly groundbreaking about the issue, but it had some good comic book action.

I also liked Spider-Man saving Venom and got a chuckle out if the "if you tell anyone I saved you, I'll lie" line.
    Felicia is probably gonna go back to villainy soon after that though, since she wanted to infiltrate the 5 families, and having then under Price's control would be bad for her...

Yeah that was my favorite line of dialogue from this issue

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    This is probably the best issue so far, the rest of the story felt, bland, this one is less so.

Felicia is probably gonna go back to villainy soon after that though, since she wanted to infiltrate the 5 families, and having then under Price's control would be bad for her...
    You gotta take what little good you can with Black Cat these days. My hope is that her story kinda goes full circle with this arc. The five families or whatever find out she was working with the good guys and her "reputation" with the crime underworld ends up ruined.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I liked it. It was the best of the xover for sure. Im glad price took it all. The goo mask brigade sucked lol. My favorite part was wheb all thw heros gathered on that team shot. Such a cool visual. Even without a symbiote i loved seeing Mania with powered up fists. Looking forward to the finale
    X-Men Forever

You gotta take what little good you can with Black Cat these days. My hope is that her story kinda goes full circle with this arc. The five families or whatever find out she was working with the good guys and her "reputation" with the crime underworld ends up ruined.
    But she worked with the heroes to save them, that wouldn't make sense... Then again, everything about her becoming evil didn't make sense as well, so you might be right lol.

I've been enjoying the whole crossover, this issue was no exception.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    But she worked with the heroes to save them, that wouldn't make sense... Then again, everything about her becoming evil didn't make sense as well, so you might be right lol.
    With how much a stretch her turn was in the first place I would be fine with her just randomly saying "it was aliens" and have all the heroes just kinda shrug and accept it to get her back to her pre Queenpin status.

On topic though, this issue has me interested in the final issue, I suppose I should grab the previous issues too.
    Last edited by Docz; 01-11-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Considering how many times Kingpin has (reluctantly) worked with (or alongside) the good guys in the past to deal with a greater threat, I figure that if Felicia plays up her role in saving the Five Families from Lee Price and downplays the extent of her cooperation with the heroes, she could get in good with them. Her cooling down enough to become a more neighborhood-friendly (or friendly neighborhood) gangster might be a chance for better characterization, if we have to be stuck with Felicia as the "Queenpin of Crime." Or yes, it does blow up in her face like everyone here is anticipating, and she actually has to go to Spider-Man for protection since he's such a bleeding heart, much to her resentment and later regret as she realizes she was utterly wrong in the decisions she'd made over the last in-universe year or so since Doc Ock took her down as the "Superior" Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I thought this issue was a mess...literally. Maybe it's because I have a preference for Ryan Stegman on this crossover, but Gerardo Sandoval's style looks atrocious in this issue. Also, I've come to conclusion that Mike Costa is the "Anti Dan Slott" of this arc. Where Slott tends to shove in so much plot like he's stuffing a goose, Costa trims off so much fat and meat from the goose there's almost nothing left.

Stillanerd Reviews: Venom #160 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I'm glad that it was shown that Maniac's appearance was due to him spreading the symbiote thin, and that now how has a more traditional appearance. Him being able to meld guns to the symbiote has potential too.

By the way, did the scene where Venom was holding those really big guns remind anyone else of this:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."