Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Sinestro's rivalries with the different Green Lanterns of Earth

The grumblings over Sinestro facing off against John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan in Justice League got me thinking.

Sinestro and Hal Jordan are absolutely archenemies. Sinestro was Hal's friend and mentor and he betrayed him. Sinestro has fought Hal Jordan more than anyone else. He even secretly infected him with the Yellow Impurity to warp him into a villain and destroy his life. These two guys hate each other.

John Stewart married to the late Katma Tui, who was Sinestro's protege and replacement as GL of Korugar. John and Sinestro have fought many times over the past several decades. Immediately prior to Emerald Twilight, Sinestro had also infected John and used him to murder his friend Ch'p. That's cold. John is single-handedly responsible for placing the Green Impurity into every ring within the Sinestro Corps, thereby nerfing the entire army that Sinestro had built. Sinestro is absolutely not a fan of John Stewart right now.

Guy Gardner suffered brain damage and was in a coma for years because of Sinestro. In turn, Guy beat down Sinestro and stole his yellow ring. Guy Gardner does not like Sinestro and the feeling is mutual.

Kyle Rayner exposed Sinestro's greatest scheme when he learned what Parallax really was. As payback, Sinestro murdered Kyle's mom and infected him with Parallax to use as his latest puppet. To add insult to injury, Kyle then started dating Sinestro's own daughter, Soranik Natu. It's safe to say that Kyle and Sinestro despise one another.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Sinestro dislikes Simon because Simon shot him in the head no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Sinestro dislikes Simon because Simon shot him in the head no questions asked.
    I think the only main GL that Sinestro has had absolutely no interaction with is Jessica. Jessica didn't even have a clue who Sinestro was in the Rebirth special.

Though ironically Sinestro killing Power Ring in Forever Evil ended up leading into her becoming a hero.

Astonishing Member

Simon was also chosen as a GL because the ring that went to him was split between Hal and Sinestro's choices/views, wasn't it?

And in one bad future (Legacy) Simon killed Sinestro and took over the Sinestro Corps (though that may have been Soranik as Soranik Sinestro).

Spectacular Member

I haven't read the Johns run other than Rebirth and Blackest Night (this was like middle school me when I tried to get into comics by ordering some of the usual suspects/greatest hits lol). Didn't Hal and Sinestro end up reaching a sort of agreement/respect at the end? What happened to that?
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I haven't read the Johns run other than Rebirth and Blackest Night (this was like middle school me when I tried to get into comics by ordering some of the usual suspects/greatest hits lol). Didn't Hal and Sinestro end up reaching a sort of agreement/respect at the end? What happened to that?
    Sort of, yes, but they soon went right back to trying to murder each other soon afterwards.

Incredible Member

I don’t think you got the point. The other GLs and Sinestro can have whatever rivalries they want as long as they are not the counterparts of two teams.
    First, I care about Sinestro. Maybe the only Sinestro fan in this forum. This Legion of Doom thing is really below him. Look at his allies, Joker? Grodd? One of the intros of Injustice2 game, when Grodd said he wants to join Sinestro Corps, Hal said with sarcasm “even he has standards.” LOL. Snyder even let him wear that blue old ugly costume after so many years. (I remember Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver talked about it in the Sinestro War. They said Sinestro should wear yellow.) I’m mad they are going to ignore the character development Geoff Johns and Cullen Bunn made, throw the most valuable villain in GL franchise into reverse. For what? For giving a rivalry to John because he doesn’t have his own villain.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Sort of, yes, but they soon went right back to trying to murder each other soon afterwards.
    I should add a comment that is one of Venditti’s smart-alecky ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    I don't think it was really much of an agreement so much of a temporary alliance that ended with a realization about their relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    I don’t think you got the point. The other GLs and Sinestro can have whatever rivalries they want as long as they are not the counterparts of two teams.
    First, I care about Sinestro. Maybe the only Sinestro fan in this forum. This Legion of Doom thing is really below him. Look at his allies, Joker? Grodd? One of the intros of Injustice2 game, when Grodd said he wants to join Sinestro Corps, Hal said with sarcasm “even he has standards.” LOL. Snyder even let him wear that blue old ugly costume after so many years. (I remember Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver talked about it in the Sinestro War. They said Sinestro should wear yellow.) I’m mad they are going to ignore the character development Geoff Johns and Cullen Bunn made, throw the most valuable villain in GL franchise into reverse. For what? For giving a rivalry to John because he doesn’t have his own villain.
    Ah, I love seeing Sinestro's classic duds again .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it was really much of an agreement so much of a temporary alliance that ended with a realization about their relationship.

Ah, I love seeing Sinestro's classic duds again .
    That’s why you’re not a fan.

I actually am kind of morbidly curious how much interaction we'll see between John and Sinestro once the League and Legion of Doom go head-to-head.
    That’s why you’re not a fan.
    Huh ...?

Incredible Member

I actually am kind of morbidly curious how much interaction we'll see between John and Sinestro once the League and Legion of Doom go head-to-head.

Huh ...?
    Is there anything confusing? If you cared about Sinestro your first instinct wouldn’t be “his old costume is interesting”.

Is there anything confusing? If you cared about Sinestro your first instinct wouldn’t be “his old costume is interesting”.
    I don't think that means I don't care about Sinestro. I love his Sinestro Corps. look.

I just also like classic costumes more often then not .

Incredible Member

I don't think that means I don't care about Sinestro. I love his Sinestro Corps. look.

I just also like classic costumes more often then not .
    HOW many issues of Sinestro solo have you bought? How many statues or toys have you bought?
    Love isn’t just saying, dear.
    I’m not saying you can’t like that costume. I’m saying there’re more important things such as characterization to care about than being happy about him dressing ugly.

I don't think Sinestro is on the team because of John, I think he's on the team because of Challenge of the Super Friends.

If it ends up being a great story, I won't mind, but you're right that Snyder will have to work overtime to justify why Sinestro would bother with the rest.