Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think it was an okay move to stop showing popular heroes smoking (wolverine, gambit, nick fury, the thing, etc.), but they should've let the villains keep smoking. We're already NOT supposed to root for them in the first place (no matter how cool they are), and you can easily show others around them bothered by the smoking. Seriously, who's looking up to Kingpin, Bullseye, or Sabertooth??
    As for bringing it back, doubtful at this point. Real life example: Yes, we still see smokers out in the world, but nearly all of them have to do it away from buildings or at home. Either way, away from the general public. J. Jonah Jameson wouldn't be smoking in his office (he'd be fined or potentially sued) and Reed Richards definitely wouldn't be smoking around all those kids they take care of. It's very realistic to not show it if it doesn't involve low level criminals at the docks or something.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    I think it was an okay move to stop showing popular heroes smoking (wolverine, gambit, nick fury, the thing, etc.), but they should've let the villains keep smoking. We're already NOT supposed to root for them in the first place (no matter how cool they are), and you can easily show others around them bothered by the smoking. Seriously, who's looking up to Kingpin, Bullseye, or Sabertooth??
    As for bringing it back, doubtful at this point. Real life example: Yes, we still see smokers out in the world, but nearly all of them have to do it away from buildings or at home. Either way, away from the general public. J. Jonah Jameson wouldn't be smoking in his office (he'd be fined or potentially sued) and Reed Richards definitely wouldn't be smoking around all those kids they take care of. It's very realistic to not show it if it doesn't involve low level criminals at the docks or something.
    Reed used to smoke a pipe and I think he used it around Franklin....but that was maybe back in the 1980s or thereabouts.

I should rustle up some panels with smokers. The Red Skull also used a cigarette holder as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Reed used to smoke a pipe and I think he used it around Franklin....but that was maybe back in the 1980s or thereabouts.

I should rustle up some panels with smokers. The Red Skull also used a cigarette holder as I recall.
    Lol that's why I mentioned him. That pipe business wouldn't fly anymore with how many kids he and Sue watch.

Speaking as someone who used to smoke about until about 10 years ago, I can’t say I feel enormously strongly about it, but it does seem rather silly to have a ban on every depiction of smoking in every comic for every character.*

*I’ve since been corrected on this and it just applies to major characters
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 01-11-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Mistake

I'm thinking the ban is on major protagonists. so wolverine, Thing, no smoking. Jonah Jameson, and likely General Ross? Smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm thinking the ban is on major protagonists. so wolverine, Thing, no smoking. Jonah Jameson, and likely General Ross? Smoking.
    Ah OK. I see that you’re right and that it doesn’t extend to background characters. My mistake. I guess I don’t read Spider-Man or Hulk comics

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I don't think this is real. Logan was shown smoking in resurrection issue #3 related this past Wednesday.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I don't think this is real. Logan was shown smoking in resurrection issue #3 related this past Wednesday.
    Yeah, it was. Maybe they just don't go all out in catching them these days.

The ban was also extended to movies by the Disney CEO back in 2015.

For over a decade there's been a "no smoking" rule for all but a select few of Marvel Comics titles, and now Disney is officially extending that to their movies as well.

During the annual Disney shareholder's meeting on Thursday, Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger answered a question by an audience member concerned about previous Marvel movies not having a "no smoking" policy similiar to that of Disney's in-house movies and Marvel Comics. Iger responded that he's extending Disney's long-held "no smoking" policy to all "youth-rated" Disney films except for in historical representations.

Marvel Comics' "no smoking" policy was instituted back in 2001 by then-Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada. At the time, Quesada said the rule applied to all "main characters," name-checking notable smokers like Wolverine, but not background characters. Quesada also allowed smoking to continue in the adults-only MAX titles, most notably with Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    When it was introduced, it actually was. There was a noticeable and abrupt stop to characters smoking. Major news outlets even picked up the story back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    When it was introduced, it actually was. There was a noticeable and abrupt stop to characters smoking. Major news outlets even picked up the story back in the day.
    Yup. The links I saw go back to 2001 when Bill Jemas was still in charge.

Even the Inhumans took up smoking

The smokey ban never made sense with a character like Wolverine.
    The argument was that he was supposed to be a role model. The guy is a major jerkass, a murderer, goes into drunk fights, but him smoking is bad because he's a role model? Give me a break.
    Maybe he should also drink only water and wear a helmet when he rides his bike, like in the cartoons.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Violence goes hand in hand with superheroic entertainment.
    Smoking on the other hand..... <shrug>
    Come on, you cannot be serious.

Seeing heroes kill villains is still murder (and in some cases even executions). Indeed that is part of the comics we love and I don't wanna see that change. But murder and execution is a bit heavier to 'advertise' than smoking, right?

PS: for X-fans, it's the last voting day (see my signature)
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================