Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Are you excited for the possible Black Widow film? If not, why?

Well, news broke late last night that Marvel is in fact developing a possible Black Widow film. When I first heard about this, I expected the web to explode with excitement over the fact that the character who could be considered the main female of the MCU is finally getting a movie. Yet, to me at least, everywhere I have gone to, people don't seem to be that excited. Is it me? Is anybody excited that there will finally be a movie focusing on the Black Widow? And if not, why?

I myself am ambivalent. I would watch the movie, but I wasn't craving for one, either. I will be fine if it doesn't come to be.

The time to do it would have been before Age of Ultron, so we could have at least had SOME build up to her supposed relationship with Hulk/Bruce Banner. But nope. In all honesty, its a few years past due.

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman, who had her first movie after her first appearance, had it at the right time, and her sequel is highly anticipated. Plus, we're getting more of Mera in the Aquaman movie, Batgirl has a confirmed movie coming, etc.

Basically, Marvel really screwed the pooch on the whole female-hero standalone film thing. I'm sure people will go see it, but it is WAY past overdue.

Astonishing Member

Its a little late for it like everyone been saying. I thought even after iron man 2 with her performance there that they should have done a standalone female spy type Black Widow movie.

It would be a genre that she could shine in with her power set alone and not need the powerhouses. I cant help but think of Salt or Atomic Blonde type inspirations though.

BANNED

We'll have to see what sort of treatment they give it. If it's going to be a comedy, then no, I'll avoid it like the plague.

Nah. In a MCU where **** from other worlds is routinely falling out of the sky and S.H.I.E.L.D seems to be a non-entity since being infiltrated by Hydra. I just can't see a story where Scarlett Johansen the assassin with the wrist blasters could be that appealing for an entire movie. She's been a great compliment thus far but she's a weapon and will need a hierarchy to giver her orders and I don't think that's a set-up that would pay off after what goes down in Infinity War and beyond. Not to mention female assassins in movies have been done, done and done again.

Plus she'll be in the direct path of Carol Captain Marvel but Danvers has superpowers so Natasha is going to look like small beans by comparison. It would not be a solo and she would mos def need a MCU heavy to play off of. I'd much rather Feige put his movie muscle into She-Hulk. Rominoff is largely humorless whereas Jennifer is funny a freakin' lawyer AND a super ass-kicker. It could be Guardians lite but on earth. Which does present it's own issue as to who owns the rights to She-Hulk. Would she still be under Universal like Hulk?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

If it's in the vein of Winter Soldier and guest stars some of her fellow Avengers, as well as a cool villain, then sure!

If it's just a straight up spy flick with the bad guy being either a guy in a business suit and tie or/ and an evil version of Black Widow than no thank you. Marvel has gone to that well too often with Iron Monger, Yellowjacket, Abomination, etc.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I'm really meh about it. Making this movie after she has been in the MCU for a decade it's just kinda weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The time to do it would have been before Age of Ultron, so we could have at least had SOME build up to her supposed relationship with Hulk/Bruce Banner. But nope. In all honesty, its a few years past due.

Meanwhile, Wonder Woman, who had her first movie after her first appearance, had it at the right time, and her sequel is highly anticipated. Plus, we're getting more of Mera in the Aquaman movie, Batgirl has a confirmed movie coming, etc.

Basically, Marvel really screwed the pooch on the whole female-hero standalone film thing. I'm sure people will go see it, but it is WAY past overdue.
    Agreed with all of this. Now, i'm sure Marvel can find a way to write a good script, but it's not only past due, but she's also one of the most boring of the Avengers. Nothing really sets her apart from the others, especially given that they're as good as, if not better than, her in her areas of expertise. Plus, once we get more of the likes of Captain Marvel and the Wasp, she'll be overshadowed even further.

BANNED

It's like a James Bond movie, except with even more superhero elements, and a more likeable main character. What's not to like?

ETA: also, it's about damn time too.

It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's like a James Bond movie, except with even more superhero elements, and a more likeable main character. What's not to like?
    This is my primary beef with Agents of SHIELD as a whole, even though the series has done a lot to win me over. I really wanted to see a show about a group of regular humans using skill, tech, and ingenuity to overcome superpowered foes. And they did that quite a bit -- in the first half of the season or so. Then they moved on to human enemies and then the Inhumans, with the death knell being the recruitment of Inhumans themselves. Agent May -- as a mere human -- might have a fraction of the strength of her superpowered opponent, but she'd likely kick its ass thanks to resourcefulness and skill. Fitz/Simmons coming up with a technical solution to a mystical problem is neat. But those types of situations are sporadic at best.

A Black Widow movie could likely expand upon that, which would be fun to see given her well-established experience with the extraordinary. But I'm still skeptical of her viability as a character, as opposed to Jessica Jones (granted, she works better as a TV character anyway, but I prefer her over Widow).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This is my primary beef with Agents of SHIELD as a whole, even though the series has done a lot to win me over. I really wanted to see a show about a group of regular humans using skill, tech, and ingenuity to overcome superpowered foes. And they did that quite a bit -- in the first half of the season or so. Then they moved on to human enemies and then the Inhumans, with the death knell being the recruitment of Inhumans themselves. Agent May -- as a mere human -- might have a fraction of the strength of her superpowered opponent, but she'd likely kick its ass thanks to resourcefulness and skill. Fitz/Simmons coming up with a technical solution to a mystical problem is neat. But those types of situations are sporadic at best.
    Well, I didn't have any preconceived issues with Inhumans, so there being Inhumans on the show didn't bother me even a little bit. Quitethe opposite in fact.

Nobody blinks an eye when Batman beats up guys like Killer Crock. I'm also straining to recall an instance of May beating up somebody way outside of her comicbook peak human weight class.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not:

0it missed it's chance to hit when iron was hot (after Cap II)

2) because of so many of Scarlet's films SUUUUUUCKS.

but hay it marvel that have a knack of changing chick **** to chicken Salad.
    Last edited by Deadxman; 01-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    If it's in the vein of Winter Soldier and guest stars some of her fellow Avengers, as well as a cool villain, then sure!

If it's just a straight up spy flick with the bad guy being either a guy in a business suit and tie or/ and an evil version of Black Widow than no thank you. Marvel has gone to that well too often with Iron Monger, Yellowjacket, Abomination, etc.
    Yeah, if they use this as an excuse to bring a bunch of people together, fine.

If it's going to be Ghost in the Shell 2, meh.

You know what? I would be 100% for it if its rated R.

Scarlet Johanson's character changes so frequently between films she may as well be a series of Skrulls occupying the body in rotation. Yet paradoxically, at her core, she is Joss Whedon's defining legacy in the MCU, a quip spouting, red-headed Buffy. Like most Marvel females though, she doesn't have much of a public following outside 'being sexy' and like as some posters already said, whatever interest the public had in her character has long passed.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut