BANNED

Default Was the Harry Potter franchise always bigger than Star Wars?

This is by no means to start a fan war of both, for years I have seen some make this claim and I always ever fully believed it but after Last Jedi i may see their point.

Is it fair to say star wars was mostly an american thing, an american phenomenon whereas harry potter was a world wide phenomenon therbey making it legitimately a bigger cultural world wide thing than star wars? is that a fair statement?

if we look at their box office, star wars wins overall but that is mostly because of USA where star wars is bigger deal there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hartttt View Post
    This is by no means to start a fan war of both, for years I have seen some make this claim and I always ever fully believed it but after Last Jedi i may see their point.

Is it fair to say star wars was mostly an american thing, an american phenomenon whereas harry potter was a world wide phenomenon therbey making it legitimately a bigger cultural world wide thing than star wars? is that a fair statement?

if we look at their box office, star wars wins overall but that is mostly because of USA where star wars is bigger deal there.
    If you're going to use the generic "franchise" then Star Wars will always be bigger because it includes merchandising, and Star Wars is pretty huge there.

Potter is unreachably huge in novelization.

If you mean "Film franchise" I think Star Wars is a bigger deal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    If you're going to use the generic "franchise" then Star Wars will always be bigger because it includes merchandising, and Star Wars is pretty huge there.

Potter is unreachably huge in novelization.

Could star wars be a bigger film deal in the usa alone? harry potter seems to be a bigger film deal world wide. if harry potter was an american franchise with the same story, chances are it could have made more money than star wars did in the USA. if we were to give the box office an electoral college map system. harry potter earnings will be bigger.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hartttt View Post
    if harry potter was an american franchise with the same story, chances are it could have made more money than star wars did in the USA.
    Doubtful. Harry Potter was huge in USA and part of the charm for American consumers was the British orientation of the story. You try to tell the same story in an American private school and you lose a significant part of the "magic"

As far as films go I cannot see Potter ever overtaking it. The most they can do is continue to milk the franchise, but it will not reach Star Wars level. Harry Potter is also a bit tricky going forward as they have to see how well the world holds up without being able to do stories with Harry. I know at one point Potter films had made more money not sure if TFA and TLJ have boosted it over the Potter stories.

BANNED

The other thing to keep in mind is that Star Wars was created to be a film experience. Harry Potter was created to be a reading experience, and needed to be adapted to film-friendly stories. Not all of the adaptations were as successful as others (looking at you, Prisoner of Azkaban). On the other hand, the end of Deathly Hallows did a much better job of explaining the resolution than the book did.

BANNED

The other thing to keep in mind is that Star Wars was created to be a film experience. Harry Potter was created to be a reading experience, and needed to be adapted to film-friendly stories. Not all of the adaptations were as successful as others (looking at you, Prisoner of Azkaban). On the other hand, the end of Deathly Hallows did a much better job of explaining the resolution than the book did.
    I agree to that as it was always clear of how inferior the movies were to the books. the HP franchise at the very core is a reading experience. not sure on DH though, the book was better. star wars just always seem to struggle a bit outside USA in box office and cultural awareness compared to HP, Made me wonder a bit.

The original Star Wars films were huge in the UK, as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The original Star Wars films were huge in the UK, as I remember.
    They were huge when I was a kid, and that was in the 90s, well before Harry Potter took off.

I would almost agree with that, since the Harry Potter series is done and new Star Wars movie are being churned out...

but Potter is now continuing with the Fantastic Beasts films, so I think it could catch up to Star Wars.