Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Happy for the fans but not a character I am interested in. More interested in Batgirl and Gotham City Sirens. Just wondering if there are enough other casual movie goers to make this work?
    A movie like this depends on more than just Black Widow's rabid and vocal fan base, even if it is allegedly part of the MCU. Just wondering what they could do to set it apart from Atomic Blonde,
    as an example of another female comic book character similar to Black Widow, that sort of bombed at the box office. Doesn't seem like they could do a Black Widow movie similar to Wonder Woman.
    All of these movies depend on more than the fan base, as Justice League showed very well. The key is making a movie with a story people want to experience. There is nothing inherent in the character of Black Widow that would preclude that, and she does have enough of a back story to make a very engaging script, as well as following the Marvel pattern of creating a unique tone for each of its solo franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    All of these movies depend on more than the fan base, as Justice League showed very well. The key is making a movie with a story people want to experience. There is nothing inherent in the character of Black Widow that would preclude that, and she does have enough of a back story to make a very engaging script, as well as following the Marvel pattern of creating a unique tone for each of its solo franchises.
    I think the main thing going for a Black Widow movie is it has the MCU label attached to it. Otherwise all things being equal, it would just be another Atomic Blonde.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think the main thing going for a Black Widow movie is it has the MCU label attached to it. Otherwise all things being equal, it would just be another Atomic Blonde.
    The thing with Black Widow is that Marvel can make it whatever they want it to be. It can be a high-octane Captain America-style, a Guadians Of The Galaxy comedy, or a thriller-suspense that they have not made before.

If you're looking for a type of movie that hasn't been done before with other characters, you're not going to ever find one.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Wouldn't it be simpler to just go watch Red Sparrow?
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is why this film got off the ground lol

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As others have said, it depends on the treatment. One of the things the MCU has managed to do right across all of their phases has been providing room for diverse kinds of films, from comedies like GotG, to smash'em-ups like The Avengers films, to political thrillers like CA:TWS. There's room for a dark, mean espionage film, and BW is as good as anybody else they've got to carry it.
    The only real "diverse" film out of marvel was Winter Soldier. The other movies were definitely in tone with the Marvel formula. I doubt we'll get an Atomic Blonde, Jason Bourne, or even a Daniel Craig Bond type film from Marvel. I just don't think it'll stand on it's own. They already basically gave up with Thor Ragnarok. I'm praying for Black Panther to break this trend.

Hadn't though much about it but that's true as opposed to DC's Batman tone for everybody.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it was the Black Widow versus a mad scientist who wanted to destroy and remake the world or the secret KGB wanting her back or some sort of pure spy story except with the Widow and an appropriately powerful spy villain who wears a mask and calls himself by some code name just to deal with the fact it's a superhero setting.

I'm semi-joking because I know that won't sell to the superhero audience although it would be a nice change of pace. Then again, it could work if done right. Guardians of the Galaxy is as much Star Wars as superhero. You can mix genres.

"No, Ms. Romanoff, I don't except you to talk. I expect you to die."

Natasha: "Thanos, what's with the hat and cloak?"

Thanos: "Dammit. How did you know it was me?"
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-12-2018 at 08:16 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    The only real "diverse" film out of marvel was Winter Soldier. The other movies were definitely in tone with the Marvel formula. I doubt we'll get an Atomic Blonde, Jason Bourne, or even a Daniel Craig Bond type film from Marvel. I just don't think it'll stand on it's own. They already basically gave up with Thor Ragnarok. I'm praying for Black Panther to break this trend.
    Iron Man = Formula Superhero
    Captain America = Period Piece/Investigative Thriller
    Thor = Shakespearean Drama (until the travesty of Ragnarok)
    Guardians = Straight Up Comedy
    Ant Man = Heist Film
    Doctor Strange = Magical Fantasy
    Spider-man = Coming of Age Teen Film

Each solo franchise has had its own tone, it's own sub genre that it plays to. They are each very diverse films. It's part of what keeps them fresh. They aren't simply remaking the same movie with different costumes, even if many of the characterizations are similar.

Mighty Member

Default Black Widow Film ?

All of these movies depend on more than the fan base. Well said. I see a potentially good Cold War era origin film that could like WW 's World War 1 setting draw people in if done well. However, once you do that where do you go from there. The fact that BW has like CA existed in different time frames and has been mixed in with spy's and Superheroes it would be difficult to keep up a coherent narrative across 3 films which seems to be the norm for these Marvel movies. Not impossible since she started in Iron Man and the Avengers but not a guarantee. Especially since you would be trying to build an independent narrative for BW herself. Actually both TV versions of the Nikita character or the Amerikans or Fringe or Homeland would be examples of what could be done but would be a real stretch to get there.

what made widow interesting in comics, is her cold war spin. since MCU operates differently, this seems like a far fetched option.
    and i donīt get this make a woman comic book movie mindset.
    i want character movies.
    i could think of plenty of more interesting female marvel charcters in an instance.
    widow is star booked with scarjo, which is just a gimmick
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

They could make something good but I'm just not a fan of Scarlett as Black Widow. If it was Eva Green, I would be doing flips to see this.

i'd check it out.

that said in the comics i always liked daredevil and widow together for some reason, kind of sad i'll most likely never see them share the screen in the MCU.

Honestly, I would've been excited for one a few years ago. Marvel waited too long to even consider a BW movie, they should've struck while the iron was hot. If they do a BW movie I hope it would be like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Honestly, I would've been excited for one a few years ago. Marvel waited too long to even consider a BW movie, they should've struck while the iron was hot. If they do a BW movie I hope it would be like this...

You realise that's supposed to be a parody of Hollywood cliches, right?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Nope. I never thought Black Widow needed her own movie. She's a good supporting character and works best in that compacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is why this film got off the ground lol
    LOL...me neither.

Iron Man = Formula Superhero
    Captain America = Period Piece/Investigative Thriller
    Thor = Shakespearean Drama (until the travesty of Ragnarok)
    Guardians = Straight Up Comedy
    Ant Man = Heist Film
    Doctor Strange = Magical Fantasy
    Spider-man = Coming of Age Teen Film

Each solo franchise has had its own tone, it's own sub genre that it plays to. They are each very diverse films. It's part of what keeps them fresh. They aren't simply remaking the same movie with different costumes, even if many of the characterizations are similar.
    Agreed.

It's pretty telling because all the comic book fans were going "That's a Black Widow movie" when they saw the trailer for Red Sparrow. If at the end of Red Sparow, you had Jennifer Lawrence don a black leather outfit with her mid-rif showing and was given the codename of Yelena Belova, I don't think a single comic book fan would bat an eye. It looks exactly like what a Black Widow movie might look like.

So basically, if at the end of the movie there was a Marvel Studios logo, it would basically confirm that Marvel Studios has been doing a pretty good job of making movies with different tone. If you took out the costume and the association with ants, I'm pretty sure the Ant-Man movie would be seen as a pretty cool sci-fi heist movie. Since it's called Ant-Man, all the comic book readers basically dismiss it as another superhero movie. Nope...it is actually a pretty well done, entertaining movie about a former criminal resorting to old habits in order to steal some ****.

There are many aspects of the Marvel Studios movies that I do not like. Like I said in the past...every time I think about Thor: Ragnarok, I get angry. The movie did not turn out like the way I was hoping it would, because it should always have been a drama. It should have been better than what it was. While there is no way to argue that it was a failure in any way, my problem is that it wasn't. People ate it up.

That is one of the reasons I fear that a Black Widow may become a farce and that does not interest me.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/