Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I'm excited. I wish it had come sooner
    This

Love the character, thinks SJ does a good job, love spyfi

can't wait

Mighty Member

Wouldn't watch it for the same reasons I wouldn't read a BW monthly. The entire genre doesn't appeal to me. The ONLY reason BW is seen so much in MCU is SJ. Her history as an Avenger has always been peripheral and for a good reason.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Yes! I love spy films. Salt with Angelina Jolie never took off, Red Sparrow at it's core smells a lot in places what a Black Widow film might contain.
    Also, the Omnibus fan in me likes the possibility of getting a Black Widow Omni out of this if it happens!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Grace makes some good points for why you should temper your expectations, namely, that the script writer Jac Schaeffer is a writer of comedies with female leads with little experience and that recent spy movies with female leads don't do well in the domestic market. And comedies are some of Scarlett Johansson's worst films she has done.

Invincible Member

Well, to be fair, before Winter Soldier the Russo Bros were best known for comedies.

Im not terribly excited, but I'll definitely go see it.

Im pretty ambivalent about the Widow in both comics and film. I dont dislike her or anything, but Im not really a fan.

I also wonder how deep they'll be willing to go. The best parts of Nat's history and character (IMO) are the darker elements, and I just dont see Disney going there.

But who knows. I didn't care for Captain America until Chris Evans, so maybe a Widow film could turn me around on the character. And just for the sake of Widow's fans (and the lack of female superhero movies in general) I'll be glad if this happens.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BW is someone who relies on her skillset (and gadgets!) to get things done, so a super spy caper movie co-starring Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Sharon Carter could be a lot of fun. But keep powerhouses like Iron Man, Hulk, Thor away because we don't want BW overshadowed in her own movie.

I can't say for sure, but if I had to lean one way over the other, it would be: not.

1. Red Sparrow is coming out this year. That's basically a standalone Black Widow movie.

2. I have a feeling the wrong director would be given the task of bringing Black Widow solo to screen. Not only that, I think the wrong tone would be taken, as well.

3. I think they'll mess up Black Widow's look to try and be more "visually interesting". I would like to see Black Widow look more like she did in Winter Soldier. My feeling is, they'll go with an Age of Ultron-esque look.

4. I think it will feel half-hearted. It almost feels as though this movie is being made because it "has to be made", rather than someone thinking "Man...I have this great story to tell about Black Widow and I have been dying to tell it."
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

I'll check it out.

Actually I had been hoping that they'd do a Black Widow/Hawkeye/Nick Fury team-up movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I hope that there are superhumans in it. I'm talking about Unicorn, Ursa Major, Darkstar, etc. but I assume it will be a formulaic black widow vs black widow picture. maybe they could swipe Bucky's story; where he winds up in the Russian prison and has to fight his way out.
    Ya I was thinking something along those lines, though instead of a prison he wants to find more about the winter soldier program or something

I'd been wanting to see a Black Widow movie made for some time (I was one of those people shaking their heads at Captain Marvel getting a solo movie, but no Widow film planned).

I still want it to get made and see it, but I do have to admit that I've lost some enthusiasm over time. There's other stuff that is much higher on my "need to see" and "want to be made" lists these days.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Not particular excited to be honest. I find ScarJo a bit dull as Black Widow. I'll watch the solo movie if characters like Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Hawkeye, Sharon Carter or Winter Soldier pop up in supporting roles.

Sure, just make it like the first M:I movie but with cooler tech, and a few powered enemies.

Also, I'd like to see Hill, Fury, and Agent 13 as costars. Maybe some Agents of SHIELD cameos or nods because I imagine the show will have wrapped by then.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Maybe. I do like James Bond type of flicks -- more in the Roger Moore vein -- lots of action -- not just espionage. I loved Natasha's scenes in Iron Man 2. I want to see more of that -- and see her using widow's bite blasters -- finally!

It really depends how they do it. I don't relish a psychological Bourne style thriller about her Red Room years, but a pedal to the metal Bond or Mission Impossible style caper with Marvel elements and a good sense of humour would certainly have me interested. On the other hand, the last superhero movie to do the Bond style I like, travelogue action-romance, was The Wolverine and although I really liked it many regard it as a misstep. Maybe what I would like may be a little old-fashioned.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-12-2018 at 08:35 AM.