Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I cant speak for anyone else, but for me its less about nudity, violence, or language, and more about subject material.

If you want to explore the idea of the Red Room for example, and you want to do it right, the way such a thing would probably look in the real world.....that's some seriously screwed up stuff. The idea of the graduates being sterilized, which is pretty horrific, should be nothing more than the barest tip of the iceberg.

Little girls having their humanity ripped out of them and turned into living weapons and spies is something that deserves an R-rating.

We dont have many R-rated superhero films to use as a guideline. But if you look at Logan, its not the violence that justifies the rating (though it was a little more brutal than usual) it was the way they approached the story and the topics they explored. I'd expect the same kind of maturity from a properly done Widow film.
    I don't know about that. The comics that the movie was loosely based on where the original Old Man Logan story arc and X-23: Innocence Lost (Laura's origin story). OML was a lot more nihilistic and violence for its own sake. Laura's origins in the movie were actually significantly bowdlerized from the comic (if they adapt that comic into a movie, it needs to be R -- and I say that as someone who doesn't want R-rated superhero movies). While I'm sure that the tones influenced the R-rating, in all honestly, I think they could've taken out the F-bombs and blood and been able to tell the same story in a PG-13 film (baring James Mangold's observations that the studios would've demanded a more conventional superhero movies with the lower rating and possibly less focus on how violence affects those involved).

Others may disagree, but in all honestly, I think that the story itself isn't the reason for the R rating, but the language and violence.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

There's a colossal problem with the whole Red Room stuff (even beyond it not really fitting with the MCU's tone): it's just going to come off as a remake of Red Sparrow.
    They waited too long to go there.

I am more than excited for the possibility of a Black Widow film. Spy, espionage, cool gadgets... could she even get that belt they made her for Iron Man 2? The only thing I could do without/with very little reference is the Red Room stuff. We saw enough of it in Age of Ultron and it's been done to death by every spy movie/show (Red Sparrow, Salt, Alias, etc).

Incredible Member

But the Red Room stuff is like Natasha's thing. Her sins come back to haunt her. Tony Stark's technology, Captain America can't escape war and Hydra, Thor with Asgard and it's skeletons from the past, Hulk and monsters and trying not to be one himself. Everyone has a thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    But the Red Room stuff is like Natasha's thing.
    Well, she's going to have to get another thing because she waited too long and now its somebody else's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, she's going to have to get another thing because she waited too long and now its somebody else's thing.
    Audiences care about execution more than they do originality.

Ultimate Member

It's like a James Bond movie, except with even more superhero elements than usual, and a more likeable main character. What's not to like?
    Also, it's about damn time too.
    Yes, to all this.

I resented her appearance in the first Avengers because I wanted to see Janet or Wanda, actual super-powered women, who were Avengers eleven years before Natasha, get their due, but Scarlett has really sold it, and I loved her roles, particularly in the first Avengers movie (reverse-interrogating the god of lies!) and Winter Soldier.

I'm still salty that the Wasp took so long to get on screen, particularly since she was held back because of a delayed Ant-Man script that turned out to not even have her in it, but that's not the fault of anyone involved with the Black Widow, who has turned out to be awesome.

Unlike Hawkeye, who has been deadly dull, in every appearance, and whose actor is a gaffe machine who needs to be gagged before every release to keep him from saying something stupidly misogynistic, like that the Black Widow is a 'slut' for being shipped with (but not actually ever sleeping with) his character, Cap and Banner...

yeah, I definitely want to see this.

I wanna see how Black Widow and Hawkey became best friends, BW training etc.

I'm not saying I'm not going to watch it but my interest in the movie is low. Which has more to do with my hero movie seeing getting burned out.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I'm definitely excited for a Black Widow movie. I think it would be a great opportunity for Black Widow, Scarlett Johansson, and female heroes in general. We saw with Wonder Woman that it is possible for a female-centered superhero movie to be successful. I think Black Widow, who already has an established fan base and plenty of development over the course of multiple movies, could build on that success. Johansson seems on board with the idea. And I think if Marvel Studios could find the right director, it would be a great addition to the MCU.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'm definitely excited for a Black Widow movie. I think it would be a great opportunity for Black Widow, Scarlett Johansson, and female heroes in general. We saw with Wonder Woman that it is possible for a female-centered superhero movie to be successful.
    this is something that I will never understand.

movie with a nice plot and characters are the most important things in it, not gender.

at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yes, to all this.

I resented her appearance in the first Avengers because I wanted to see Janet or Wanda, actual super-powered women, who were Avengers eleven years before Natasha, get their due, but Scarlett has really sold it, and I loved her roles, particularly in the first Avengers movie (reverse-interrogating the god of lies!) and Winter Soldier.

I'm still salty that the Wasp took so long to get on screen, particularly since she was held back because of a delayed Ant-Man script that turned out to not even have her in it, but that's not the fault of anyone involved with the Black Widow, who has turned out to be awesome.

Unlike Hawkeye, who has been deadly dull, in every appearance, and whose actor is a gaffe machine who needs to be gagged before every release to keep him from saying something stupidly misogynistic, like that the Black Widow is a 'slut' for being shipped with (but not actually ever sleeping with) his character, Cap and Banner...
    The AoU press tour was a low point, and he definitely never should have said that, but at least he has learned. The Civil War press tour interviewers kept pitting Natasha and Wanda against each other and asking them men questions about who they'd pick and stuff like that. Stan and Mackie always answered Natasha and were open about how hot they thought she was, while Renner was the one just saying both were awesome and badass.

It does pain me to see what the MCU has done to Hawkeye, though, they completely ruined him. Natasha has definitely made out better, with more focus and screentime, though I do worry that the MCU doesn't know what to do with her on her own.

Mighty Member

Default Black Widow Movie : Yea or Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I am more than excited for the possibility of a Black Widow film. Spy, espionage, cool gadgets... could she even get that belt they made her for Iron Man 2? The only thing I could do without/with very little reference is the Red Room stuff. We saw enough of it in Age of Ultron and it's been done to death by every spy movie/show (Red Sparrow, Salt, Alias, etc).
    The trouble with concentrating on "the cool stuff" is that she was an assassin for the Soviets for years. Like Bucky ignoring that whitewashes one of the most interesting aspects of her history. Bucky may have seen some redemption in the eyes of the govt. in recent plotlines but if it has or has not appeared before this with BW it certainty needs to be part of the movie. Especially in this era of Putin. This after all is BW not The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.

Ultimate Member

The general audience tends to not care if it's truly "new" or not, as long as it's done well/interestingly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Deadpool was successful and the Netflix Marvel shows have been successful so now some fans think that an R-rating is the way to go for all their favorite silver age/bronze age superhero characters.
    No, just SOME of them. Don't overgeneralize. No one is asking for an R-rated Spider-Man movie, or Captain America movie, or Dr. Strange movie, etc. But some characters have backstories/characteristics that lend themselves well to R-rated stuff. It's simple really.