Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, just SOME of them. Don't overgeneralize. No one is asking for an R-rated Spider-Man movie, or Captain America movie, or Dr. Strange movie, etc. But some characters have backstories/characteristics that lend themselves well to R-rated stuff. It's simple really.
    Because Spider-Man doesn't warrant an R rating. Neither does Dr Strange. A Captain America R rated film would have be to heavily reliant on war. Opening scene of Saving Private Ryan type violence.

Other characters, like Deadpool, Punisher, Wolverine... Black Widow included, can be successful, and have been successful in that R rated environment. And yes, I do believe Nat is one of those characters that can succeed with an R rating. It's not necessary. I don't think it's EVER 100% necessary, even for Deadpool, but it helps in some cases.

Ultimate Member

^That's what I was saying actually. Wolverine, Deadpool, The Punisher, Black Widow, etc. They're all characters who lend themselves well to R-rated material.

Also in regards to her age in the MCU, that's not a big deal. It'd be pathetically easy to potentially retcon that and make her older than previously though if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Deadpool was successful and the Netflix Marvel shows have been successful so now some fans think that an R-rating is the way to go for all their favorite silver age/bronze age superhero characters.
    No one is actually saying that at all.

Some of us are saying that Widow specifically could do very well with such a rating. Not the entirety of the Silver Age. I mean, really......

Oh, and Blade was proving that an R-rated superhero film could be successful long before Logan, Deadpool, or the Defenders. This isn't some new fad people are jumping on.

It won't happen though. Nat's a firmly established Avenger who has been the supporting character glue behind the Avengers since the beginning. Disney isn't going to take that, knowing how many young kids will want to see the film, and slap an R rating on it whether her character warrants it or not. If the movie happens, it'll be solidly PG-13. Probably on the dark side of PG-13 but it won't step over the "family friendly" line.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Others may disagree, but in all honestly, I think that the story itself isn't the reason for the R rating, but the language and violence.
    Who knows? Unless the details behind the rating process for the film is public knowledge all we have is conjecture. Its possible that Logan got the rating it did because of the language and violence, or its possible that the rating allowed them to go for that level of violence and language on top of everything else.

Either way the film was excellent, so I dont really care why it got made the way it did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

If Marvel was willing to shell out the money for SJ's salary, I think she could do well in a Netflix, low special effects miniseries. That being said, I am excited for this film, as I now have almost total confidence in the quality levels of the MCU (minus the occasional dud like Inhumans).
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, just SOME of them. Don't overgeneralize. No one is asking for an R-rated Spider-Man movie, or Captain America movie, or Dr. Strange movie, etc. But some characters have backstories/characteristics that lend themselves well to R-rated stuff. It's simple really.
    I was exaggerating. I know no one is asking for R-rated Spiderman, but I do think that some fans have seen how successful say Old Man Logan and the DD shows are and want to paint other mainstream characters with that brush. I think the "danger" is what we got in the 90's where everything was grim and gritty whether it made sense for the character or not.

An R-rated Son of Satan film would make perfect sense, but a Black Widow movie won't be made better just because there's a more blood and a few F-bombs.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No one is actually saying that at all.

Some of us are saying that Widow specifically could do very well with such a rating. Not the entirety of the Silver Age. I mean, really......

Oh, and Blade was proving that an R-rated superhero film could be successful long before Logan, Deadpool, or the Defenders. This isn't some new fad people are jumping on.

It won't happen though. Nat's a firmly established Avenger who has been the supporting character glue behind the Avengers since the beginning. Disney isn't going to take that, knowing how many young kids will want to see the film, and slap an R rating on it whether her character warrants it or not. If the movie happens, it'll be solidly PG-13. Probably on the dark side of PG-13 but it won't step over the "family friendly" line.
    I was exaggerating. But I do think some fans are overly enthused about R-rated superheroes and superhero films being taken "seriously". In theory you could make an R-rated Moon Knight film but why? What are you going to explore under such a rating that you couldn't in a PG-13 film?
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-15-2018 at 05:27 AM.