Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If Bunn and Duggan were as good as the X-board collectively thinks they are, they'd be Grant Morrison-level names already. They're not. They're just 'safe hands', and maybe that's all the rest of you want. Someone who knows their mutant history and how characters have behaved, will dredge up familiar people and ideas, and give them just enough of a new paint job to disguise the fact that they're going through the same motions they've been going through for years without forward momentum. Me, I cannot stand that crap and am quite happy to have their attention focused solely on milquetoast 'flagship' books while leaving my darlings the hell alone.

Pak's no genius but at least he's got a voice. Ditto for Hopeless. My kingdom for more writers who leave their own impression on the X-books.

...this is what happens when it's Spurrier that brings you back into comics, isn't it. We never deserved him.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Duggan has been good. He fixed Deadpool after Daniel Way destroyed him. And I think he wrote a good Sabretooth for the 4 chapters he had him in 2016.

But I gotta say Brisson has been great. If not Bunn, give Sabretooth to him!!! Hell, he'd would probably write a MUCH better Domino than Hack too. Throw Hack back on Hulk where he belongs and get him off the X-Books.
    Yeah, Brisson’s short Cable stint has been awesome so far too. Aside from some confusion related to the timeline, as he seemed to mistakenly use real time instead Marvel sliding timescale. Some folks just can’t get past a clear mistake and allow themselves to relax and enjoy a fictional comic book unfortunately. But ignoring that little SNAFU it’s been a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    If Bunn and Duggan were as good as the X-board collectively thinks they are, they'd be Grant Morrison-level names already. They're not. They're just 'safe hands', and maybe that's all the rest of you want. Someone who knows their mutant history and how characters have behaved, will dredge up familiar people and ideas, and give them just enough of a new paint job to disguise the fact that they're going through the same motions they've been going through for years without forward momentum. Me, I cannot stand that crap and am quite happy to have their attention focused solely on milquetoast 'flagship' books while leaving my darlings the hell alone.

Pak's no genius but at least he's got a voice. Ditto for Hopeless. My kingdom for more writers who leave their own impression on the X-books.

...this is what happens when it's Spurrier that brings you back into comics, isn't it. We never deserved him.
    What is Pak’s voice exactly? So far he’s given us a really long arc that overstayed its welcome involving a nefarious plot to create a Hulk-Wolverine hybrid, with lots of out of character voices for his cast.

This Nuke arc is better, admittedly, but feels more in line with Bunn or Duggan’s “safe hands” work than Grant Morrison. Let’s get real here.

I agree that Spurrier was great. Loved, loved, loved his X-Force run. Just wish he’d been partnered with Jerome Opena and Molina, as better art would’ve made that an instant classic IMO on par with Remender’s ‘Dark Angel Saga’ in UXF Vol 1. Writing was top notch.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 01-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, Brisson’s short Cable stint has been awesome so far too. Aside from some confusion related to the timeline, as he seemed to mistakenly use real time instead Marvel sliding timescale. Some folks just can’t get past a clear mistake and allow themselves to relax and enjoy a fictional comic book unfortunately. But ignoring that little SNAFU it’s been a lot of fun.
    I usually hear good reviews for Brisson. I think the main critique I hear is people not being crazy about his Old Logan. But the way he wrote Sabretooth in just 4 Iron Fist chapters won me over. He did better with Creed in 5 chapters than Hack has in 16.

So that automatically puts him in my A-List. Any writer that does well on my favorites that constantly get crapped on, I enjoy.

What is Pak’s voice exactly? So far he’s given us a really long arc that overstayed its welcome involving a nefarious plot to create a Hulk-Wolverine hybrid, with lots of out of character voices for his cast.
    I agree with you. I am not familiar with OML, as I never cared about him. But Sabretooth & Domino's characterization sucks. Both of them just seemed like simplified parodies. A proper written Weapon X series was vol 2 by Frank Terri. Rather than the dumbed-down action comedy Hack seems to be going for. where Sabretooth & Domino are used for comedy relief, and little else.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-12-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post

This Nuke arc is better, admittedly, but feels more in line with Bunn or Duggan’s “safe hands” work than Grant Morrison. Let’s get real here.

I agree that Spurrier was great. Loved, loved, loved his X-Force run. Just wish he’d been partnered with Jerome Opena and Molina, as better art would’ve made that an instant classic IMO on par with Remender’s ‘Dark Angel Saga’ in UXF Vol 1. Writing was top notch.
    Voices are...hard for me to explain. Partly because what you describe as 'out of character dialogue' is a factor. Basically, when I read a Pak issue, I can tell it's a Pak issue from the tone, the specific dialogue choices, etc. But if you put a Bunn issue and a Duggan issue in front of me and duct-taped over the names? Hell, I couldn't tell which is which. They feel like the definition of work-for-hire and apart from anything else, that's something I have immense difficulty spending actual money on.

No, I don't think Pak is Grant Morrison. Hence why I said he's "no genius". But however the current arc works out, it doesn't feel like it's 100% something I've seen these exact characters do before. I'll take that over anything that's happened in Blue or Uncanny before it.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Ah. Well, to me Bunn’s Uncanny and Blue have been...okay. Same as Pak’s Weapon X, aside from creating the lamest thing ever in Weapon H. They’re kind of interchangeable in that regard in my eyes. Spurrier is money, though. Or at least his X-Force was. That’s all I’ve ever read that he’s done I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Would this team not way more cool if Sabretooth and Logan were replaced by Vanisher, Elixer and Laura?
    The only thing this would've accomplished is that the book would've been canceled by now... so maybe they should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Voices are...hard for me to explain. Partly because what you describe as 'out of character dialogue' is a factor. Basically, when I read a Pak issue, I can tell it's a Pak issue from the tone, the specific dialogue choices, etc. But if you put a Bunn issue and a Duggan issue in front of me and duct-taped over the names? Hell, I couldn't tell which is which. They feel like the definition of work-for-hire and apart from anything else, that's something I have immense difficulty spending actual money on.

No, I don't think Pak is Grant Morrison. Hence why I said he's "no genius". But however the current arc works out, it doesn't feel like it's 100% something I've seen these exact characters do before. I'll take that over anything that's happened in Blue or Uncanny before it.
    I really don't feel Pak's voice in this book, at least compared to, say, his Totally Awesome Hulk which feels more like it.

I can also usually feel Duggan and Bunn from their work, but your mileage may vary.

Fantastic Member

really hope one of these guys gets uncanny x-men...gotta figure it either brisson, rosenberg espically after the strong showing sales wise of phoenix, would love it to be duggan but after he struck out with guardians not likely...or they could switch x-men blue ....back to uncanny which would be great still hearing uncanny is coming at soem point in 2018