Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I'm not sure what else I can add, but I wanted to thank everyone for this creative experience.

I'd loved the sheer creativity of those involved.
    I also want to thank everyone. This have been creative and fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Pick a new Workshop ;-)
    They've seemed to disappear.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    I was also thinking about his sensory powers,and the fact that we took all of them away from him also.then I thought of the 1st officer on Star Trek Discovery.his species has a detection feeling on the back of their necks to let them know if someone means harm.the idea is actually perfect for the way I see green martians,they would also use/need this to protect themselves from white martians or any dangerous thing on Mars.what do you think of that? It's not a insanely powerful sensory ability,but Jonn really doesnt need one,he can be invisible, intangible,or Change the way he looks,which gives him the edge.
    ...but his senses are another story.you could always say he can shapeshift his eyes into a better suited set.
    I really like your ideas.

His passive empathic danger sense is clever; his ability to shape-shift his body to alter all his senses is brilliant. He have almost any supersensory perception he wants...but not all at one time; he must change form to gain that sense...and he would have a reason to think to do this. Like his tactile telepathy, it's powerful but not overpowered.

So a special Thank You to you for your contributions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I really like your ideas.

His passive empathic danger sense is clever; his ability to shape-shift his body to alter all his senses is brilliant. He have almost any supersensory perception he wants...but not all at one time; he must change form to gain that sense...and he would have a reason to think to do this. Like his tactile telepathy, it's powerful but not overpowered.

So a special Thank You to you for your contributions.

Thank you,I thought both were cool ideas.

Can you imagine a invisible and intangible green alien floating around almost like a ghost touching ppl without them even knowing it,learning all their secrets and "pushing" them in some way?

My eyes are good enough,focus,focus shapeshift into perfect vision.

I mean seriously we all know martians have been doing all kinds of things for decades now that this could fit into.i mean seriously they can change their blood type,you think they can't make their ears hear better.

BTW his "danger" sense doesnt have to be on his neck only,he can feel it everywhere,he has total command of his body,so why wouldn't hehave the feeling that something is coming like that.

See we gave him pretty much all his powers,but gave him common sense limits,not to knock him out of the top tier spot,but to give him a challenge.

Spectacular Member

He definitely has too many powers. One way to fix that would be to limit the amount of abilities at one time. Somewhat along the lines of Ultra-Boy.

If not that then I would still like him to be Superman powerful, with the strength, speed, martian vision, etc. Invisibility, intangibility, plasticity seem too much. I'd get rid of those. I like of him as more of a powerhouse than someone who should be on the Legions espionage squad. I would keep the shape changing so he could have a secret identity, and a limited form of telepathy, maybe being able to read mind of those close by only, no projecting thoughts.

Incredible Member

I'm going to compile my own ideas on my blog at some point.

mind if I put a link to this thread?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I really don't think the powers are the problem here. Superman, Dr. Manhattan, Shazam, Silver Surfer, Green Lantern, all have ridiculous abilities bordering on a diety and yet people find a reason to value their characters. It's all about story. A compelling story will grab people's attention. Quality + exposure = success. The trick is how to write a consistently good MM title and promote it correctly. Randomly chopping and retconing the character into something "new and fresh" isn't going to matter if the story isn't compelling and average readers aren't enticed by strong marketing to give it a chance. Again, look at The Vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    It's all about story.
    Martian Manhunter's immense godlike powerset would be fine if he were out having immense godlike adventures against immense godlike villains.

The problem is that he doesn't seem to have stories outside of his affiliation with the Justice League --where his abilities are overshadowed by other more prominent Leaguers.

BANNED

Actually it is about more than story,why, because any character can have a good story written with them,but it takes a good character with a "strong foundation" that keeps them wanting more.

Ppl will buy crap or ASSumed crap.the Titans and JL always get hate,but sell.when Scott lobdell started writing the new 52 kon-el ppl actually gave his issues praise,but as soon as he veeered to far from what Kon is,ppl were done.

Give jonn a good strong foundation,and any decent writer will bust out a good story that makes ppl appreciate it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    He definitely has too many powers. One way to fix that would be to limit the amount of abilities at one time. Somewhat along the lines of Ultra-Boy.

If not that then I would still like him to be Superman powerful, with the strength, speed, martian vision, etc. Invisibility, intangibility, plasticity seem too much. I'd get rid of those. I like of him as more of a powerhouse than someone who should be on the Legions espionage squad. I would keep the shape changing so he could have a secret identity, and a limited form of telepathy, maybe being able to read mind of those close by only, no projecting thoughts.
    Good news. We've addressed that.

The Martian Manhunter's old powers include:

Body
    Superhuman strength, speed, and durability
    Mass manipulation, including shapeshifting, invisibility, and intangibility
    Regenerative healing factor
    Super-breath

Mind
    Genius-level intellect
    Photographic memory
    Flight
    Telekinesis
    Telepathy

Both
    Martian nine senses
    Plasma beam projection

Unfortunately, we cannot alter the character's abilities too much...or we'd have a new character that we named Martian Manhunter.

We redefined his abilities as follows:

Self Matter Manipulation

J'Onn has total telekinetic control of this own molecules. This allows him:

• Superhuman strength and durability
    • Mass manipulation, including shapeshifting, invisibility, and intangibility
    • Regenerative healing factor
    • Flight

Tactile Telepathy

J'Onn retains his extensive but vague telepathic abilities...but they all have a range of touch now.

Martian Senses

J'Onn has a passive empathic danger sense that allows him to feel when someone intends him harm.

J'Onn can shapeshift his body to allow him to enhance or alter his senses. (Superman, who always has access to his super-hearing, telescopic and x-ray vision, can use his super-senses on a whim; J'Onn must morph into different forms to gain strengthened or new senses...and probably has a good reason why he wants to do that i.e. he's looking for something specific.)

Other

J'Onn still a genius with a great memory. We have not addressed his skill set yet.

He's only lost super-speed, super-breath and Plasma beam projection (Martian Heat Vision). I don't miss these powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I really don't think the powers are the problem here. Superman, Dr. Manhattan, Shazam, Silver Surfer, Green Lantern, all have ridiculous abilities bordering on a deity and yet people find a reason to value their characters. It's all about story. A compelling story will grab people's attention. Quality + exposure = success. The trick is how to write a consistently good MM title and promote it correctly. Randomly chopping and retconing the character into something "new and fresh" isn't going to matter if the story isn't compelling and average readers aren't enticed by strong marketing to give it a chance. Again, look at The Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Martian Manhunter's immense godlike power-set would be fine if he were out having immense godlike adventures against immense godlike villains.

The problem is that he doesn't seem to have stories outside of his affiliation with the Justice League --where his abilities are overshadowed by other more prominent Leaguers.
    Actually it is about more than story,why, because any character can have a good story written with them,but it takes a good character with a "strong foundation" that keeps them wanting more.

Ppl will buy crap or ASSumed crap.the Titans and JL always get hate,but sell.when Scott lobdell started writing the new 52 kon-el ppl actually gave his issues praise,but as soon as he veeered to far from what Kon is,ppl were done.

Give jonn a good strong foundation,and any decent writer will bust out a good story that makes ppl appreciate it
    If I want to read about a character with no powers, I have the entire Bat family. Powers, as much as appearance, define a character and can make or break any excitement about him/her. J'Onn's power-set and appearance left much to be desired.

Good stories can always be told...but good is in the opinion of the reader much like beauty and the beholder's eye. I'm sure writers don't intend to produce dreck but I've read too much of it anyway.

We hope that by giving J'Onn a strong foundation in abilities, he will gain a stronger rogue's gallery and more a presence in the DC universe. By that, I mean J'Onn shouldn't only exist in the pages of the Justice League.

BANNED

Good stories come from powers,struggling with something is how it works.if he can wipe someones mind on the other side of a room there is no struggle,if he has to touch them then there is.