Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I don't like the idea of the Martian people having any role in the DCU. ... One Martian, J'onn, learning about Earth.
    Wait, so you're not interested at all in Mars having a secret ancient history in the DCU, and would prefer "Martian" to just be a joke name for an alien from a very different planet altogether?

3. Secret Identities
    John Jones. Johann Johnson. Gold Hunter. Bronze Wraith. Hank Henshaw. Hino Rei. Bloodwynd. Stalker. Sramian Snitch. Carl Lumbly. Phil Morris. David Harewood.

Who is your Martian Manhunter when he's not in a cape?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Wait, so you're not interested at all in Mars having a secret ancient history in the DCU, and would prefer "Martian" to just be a joke name for an alien from a very different planet altogether?
    After Thanagarians, Kryptonians, Dominators and every other race out there messing with Earth, Martians offer nothing new.

Extraordinary Member

1. Powers
    I'd given him Telepathy and Telekinesis, and explain his other powers as being a result of those two powers used in a creative manner.

2. Mars

This is controvrsial, but I think I'm have Mars be a living world. I feel like versatility could be a huge strength for J'onn, but having him be the sole survivor of a Genocide contrains him too much for that to be effective.

I'm also open to the idea of J'onn having powers other Martians don't

3. Secret Identity

John Jones as a primary secret ID, with others used as well. I'd probably avoid having him assume Female identities though

Astonishing Member

I’m guessing nobody liked the current Manhunter mini-series.

I liked some of the ideas presented:
    • J’Onn’s memories are false and green Martians never existed.
    • J’Onn is a weapon created by the white Martians.

Why do I like this? It explains his mish-mash of power while giving him a blank slate. Tabula Rasa is exactly what J’Onn could use.

Earth is now the only home he’s ever known. Earthlings are the only people he’s ever known. He is now more connected to this world. Now that he knows the truth, he can begin a journey of self-discovery...and perhaps realize the weapon can reprogram himself(?).

What if his powers do not work the way he thought they did? What if he can change his abilities? He can eliminate the fire weakness at the cost of other abilities. The change would be difficult, painful and probably irreversible.

What do you think?

Since he may have originated as a Silver Age Spectre, I don't mind J'Onn having 'Ghost Powers'. I would prefer to define them as mental abilities: telepathic invisibility, telekinetic intangibility and etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    After Thanagarians, Kryptonians, Dominators and every other race out there messing with Earth, Martians offer nothing new.
    I soooooorta agree with you.

I'm bored to death with anthropomorphic aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Don't forget the weakness to fire.
    I’ve always hated the fact that J’onn has heat vision when his weakness is fire. Not to mention that it’s just like a pointless addition to his already ridiculous amount of powers.

While I thought his last mini series was interesting I still prefer the classic origin and background for J’onn and the Martian race. But I would make J’onn special among the green Martians. I’d say that all the green Martians have telepathy and shape shifting ability but J’onn is the only one with the super strength and flight. The White Martians could have some super strength and shape shifting ability but their telepathy isn’t as strong. Basically they went with brute strength while the greens went with mental strength.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-12-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I soooooorta agree with you.

I'm bored to death with anthropomorphic aliens.
    Are there any DC aliens that resemble Lieutenant Yaphit? (The Orville TV series)

For powerset:
    The heat vision doesn't make sense, so toss that.

Keep super strength, speed, durability, etc. Maybe, base level, not the same as Superman, Wonder Woman, etc, but nothing to sneeze at either.
    Multiple telekinetic powers. This is his bread and butter. Combined with his physical stats, would put him on level with the other heavy hitters, if not surpass them, but his innate compassion and empath abilities keep him from going all out except in the rarest of circumstances against high level foes.

As for Mars and White Martians; I liked what Young Justice did there. That the White Martians are minority, but can come from a Green Martian family. And can be more prone to violence (hence the stigma against them) but M'gann is an exception amongst White Martians. And her being the niece to J'onn at least gives him a "family" of his own. At least the start of one.

Not a fan of the CW thing they have going with her, needless to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Are there any DC aliens that resemble Lieutenant Yaphit? (The Orville TV series)
    I thiiiiiink Durlans are gelatinous in their natural state, and choose humanoid shapes in order to interact with humanoid species.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    As for Mars and White Martians; I liked what Young Justice did there. That the White Martians are minority, but can come from a Green Martian family. And can be more prone to violence (hence the stigma against them) but M'gann is an exception amongst White Martians. And her being the niece to J'onn at least gives him a "family" of his own. At least the start of one.

I think the CW Miss Martian is pretty awesome. One of the coolest female character in all of the CW. I think they do a better job with her than they do with Martian Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Eh the CW shows are fun but soapy as hell.

BANNED

There is a miss martiam,so the word martian imo needs to stay.i would drop the word manhunter before I would drop the word martian.

Green Martians should be more peaceful and be more about connecting to others (telepathy) and their environment (self TK,which explains all his complete bodily control powers).the white martians are way more aggressive and hunters,so I would limit those powers and amp up the physical "other" powers Jonn has(but doesn't need to be awesome imo),like strength,speed, durability, heightened senses.

So pretty much split the powers based on race and call it a day I guess.

The martian Jonn jonnz.
    John Jones
    Detective

Megan and jonn on the YJ show had the same powers,but Megan was a TK user while Jonn seemed more physical,could be the difference between male and female.

Maybe Jonn can be the guy who is all about meditation and centering himself to help focus his powers,while Megan is just raw as hell and untrained,but full of power

Wow.

This thread has made me appreciate the CW Supergirl show a lot more. It looks like the last place I can see anything resembling Jonn. One of the most annoying holdovers of 52 is the crappy treatment of Jonn

Incredible Member

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.c...-thoughts.html

reposting more so I don't have to refer to it.

it's honestly not that hard to tell a jon jonz story.

I wrote this originally before the arrrowverse put it in, and quite frankly he's one of the main draws for me on that show.

but he's still jobbing because his name is not the title character.

but I do have a question.

why is the least jobby version of martian manhunter is in lego (specifically Lego DC Super Heroes: Justice League - Attack of the Legion of Doom! (2015))?

that version was a beast.