Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Other history of the D.C.

So, apparently, starting winter 2018, something big will begun for D.C. minority heroes : https://www.cbr.com/other-history-of...e-john-ridley/

I find the premise really interesting, and I hope that the casting will be slightly larger than what has been announced, but still there will be at least Supergirl, John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Katana and Rene Montoya and the possibility to see the History of D.C. through their eyes will be a great opportunity.

Oh wow!!! The premise of this is amazing!

This is a good look. I love that they're shining a light where it rarely, if ever, has been shined before.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Sounds really interesting, excited to hear more about this.

BANNED

Neat premise and (obviously) amazing writer, but I don't care for the character selection at all.
    Last edited by Assam; 01-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Neat premise and (obviously) amazing writer, but I don't care for the character selection at all.
    Don't worry Assam, I'm sure than Cassandra Cain will be featured too.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Don't worry Assam, I'm sure than Cassandra Cain will be featured too.
    1. I doubt that.
    2. I do love other DC characters. Literally hundreds of them in fact. It just so happens that among the announced characters, Renee is the only one I do.

At first I thought it would be an event but then I saw it says "miniseries". Will check it out.

I just find it funny that we know more about this then whatever Ridley is doing for Marvel .

But the premise does sound pretty interesting, especially seeing the history of the DCU unfold through the eyes of those characters and what exactly their perspective will be. I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out and to see those characters getting some love .

I'm also curious to see how this might play out with the timeline shenanigans once Doomsday Clock is finished.

I hope Black Lightning, Blue Beetle and Simon Baz are also included in the line-up! The character selection is not surprising since those are DC's biggest minority heroes, well except for Extraño but I do love that he was included.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Sounds good. I'm glad that John Stewart is going to be included. Does anyone know whether this book is going to be canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Sounds good. I'm glad that John Stewart is going to be included. Does anyone know whether this book is going to be canon?
    I don't think it would be set around the history of the DCU if it wasn't.

Which makes me curious to see if it's tied to Doomsday Clock at all.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I hope Black Lightning, Blue Beetle and Simon Baz are also included in the line-up! The character selection is not surprising since those are DC's biggest minority heroes, well except for Extraño but I do love that he was included.
    Well they did say it's going to feature lesser known characters as well and not just DC's biggest minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it would be set around the history of the DCU if it wasn't.

Which makes me curious to see if it's tied to Doomsday Clock at all.
    Yea, that makes sense, Frontier.

That would be interesting if it was somehow tied to Doomsday Clock.

I'm actually kind of surprised Ridley is using Supergirl, beyond her popularity, since the only real connection she has to being a minority is that her story has similarities to the immigrant experience.

Astonishing Member

"DC’s press release says the series will “analyze iconic DC moments and chart sociopolitical gains through the perspectives of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups,” and focus “on the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.”

Interesting that of the list Supergirl was included. She's not a person of color (even if she isn't technically human). She doesn't really follow the stereotypical mold that it sort of sounds like the others are doing. I guess they'll be playing up the whole immigrant/refugee status thing with her for the story presumably or just her adoption/foster parents. I suppose it could also play up the way in her own book that her speaking English is joked about by her classmates since it's her second language. Hmmm...

I do like the slow push DC seems to be having with Extrano (largely thanks to Steve Orlando). First orlando brought him back for Apollo and Mdnighter, then the Love is Love special, then quickly in JLA and now this.

The framing of the characters and their points of view is almost like Marvels or DC Universe Legacies with jumping viewpoints from the heroes, but not of just their heroics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised Ridley is using Supergirl, beyond her popularity, since the only real connection she has to being a minority is that her story has similarities to the immigrant experience.
    And, she's a female, not jut another white Anglo-Saxon male character.

I wonder if this may be like the 2010-2011 Len Wein-written DC Universe: Legacies but looking at things through other's eyes?