Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 103
  1. #46
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oy vey, I'm just a dumb goy.
    Haha.

    But, really, why aren't Jews ever included when talking about minorities in America? It's an especially odd perculiarity considering the medium and genre we're dealing with here.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

  2. #47
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    This is great and all but is this the only effort DC Comics is gonna show these characters in 2018 b/c if so this is the bare minimum of what should be done with these characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Haha.

    But, really, why aren't Jews ever included when talking about minorities in America? It's an especially odd perculiarity considering the medium and genre we're dealing with here.
    B/c when talking about minorities people usually are only discussing racial minorities not religious minorities.

    And before someone says that Jewish people are racial minorities as well, not in the United States they're not, in the United States, you're steretypical jewish person looks white, and most likely ticks the box that says "white (non-hispanic)"

    Saying all of that tho if they included Supergirl of all people into the story, they could have afforded to add some Jewish heroes, I mean seriously Supergirl ...I scoff.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  3. #48
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Where the Jews at in this? What, just me?
    Well, Hal might show up in the John sections .

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Hal might show up in the John sections .
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.

  5. #50
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    This is great and all but is this the only effort DC Comics is gonna show these characters in 2018 b/c if so this is the bare minimum of what should be done with these characters.



    B/c when talking about minorities people usually are only discussing racial minorities not religious minorities.

    And before someone says that Jewish people are racial minorities as well, not in the United States they're not, in the United States, you're steretypical jewish person looks white, and most likely ticks the box that says "white (non-hispanic)"

    Saying all of that tho if they included Supergirl of all people into the story, they could have afforded to add some Jewish heroes, I mean seriously Supergirl ...I scoff.
    Why Supergirl scoff? Supergirl is one of the most alien characters in DC comics. And one of the few well known female characters. And if we are talking about minority religions, how many people on Earth worship Rao?
    Jews far outnumber those people.

  6. #51
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    33,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.
    Well, there's also Harley .

    Though more seriously, Kate Kane/Batwoman is also Jewish.

  7. #52
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.
    There is a group of them but we have not seen them since their mini series.

    Relative Heroes about a family of kids and one of the kids is black-so you get the rare black Jew in comics.



    Where the Jews at in this? What, just me?
    They don't get mentioned because depending on who you talk to, they are viewed as the enemies of minorities. As the perception of they control everything and oppress minorities especially blacks.

    And the blacks should get over slavery, Jim Crow and segregation while Jews can be forever bitter about what Hitler did to them. I can give you worst reasons but the above is these are the main ones I hear.


    I would say you can include a Jewish hero in this because you can tell the story of a Jewish hero who hid his religion. Not just in Germany during WW 2 but even in America. Which would make a good story mind you.

    However it would get ignored because the complainers have to attack whatever story includes the 5 POC and John Ridley first. Because they have to attack those guys more than bother to read the book first.

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.
    I know my favorite Jewish heroes from DC are Albert Rothstein and Gim Allon.

  9. #54
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.
    Harley is Jewish. It could be argued that she’s more prominent than Hal.

    Ragman is also Jewish.

  10. #55
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How long have you been following comic books?
    Typically, solicitations for comic books are announced about three months in advance. That's not because comic book companies are being nice.
    First, they have to let comic book shops and other businesses that place advance orders for comic books have time to get a feel for how many copies they should order and notify Diamond (or other companies that may be like them). That information from distributors like Diamond will allow DC and other publishers to gage how many copies they should initially print. When you're talking the major companies like DC, there are many people/areas involved in production of a comic book.
    It would normally take more than a week or two to create and produce a single issue of a comic book to then ship out to all the companies/locations that distribute it. And, right now, we have, what, less than a full 11 weeks until the last Wednesday in March 2018?
    Is that realistic?
    There is absolutely no need to be so condescending. The simple fact is you don't any more than I do about this situation. They said Winter 2018 and as I said initially, that's strange. It's strange if it means March and it's strange if it means December (and winter 2018 does not imply December 2018). We'll see what happens and let's leave it at that.

  11. #56
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Is Hal DC's only Jewish character? He's certainly their most prominent, but he can't be the only one.
    The Io9 comment section for the article about this miniseries were naming a few.

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Why Supergirl scoff? Supergirl is one of the most alien characters in DC comics. And one of the few well known female characters. And if we are talking about minority religions, how many people on Earth worship Rao?
    Jews far outnumber those people.
    Does DC comics have alien characters who doesn't look white or how about an alien character who can't make themselves look human, to me they would be more deserving of that spot than Supergirl.

    Also Supergirl being well known is irrelevant b/c most minority heroes aren't well known and if that status mattered for this book then DC should have included Cyborg and if he is in the book, then he should have been mentioned but obviously him being well known does not matter so neither does Supergirl.

    Her being female is also a non-factor Vixen's female too and so is Renee.

    Her religion while real in the comics is fake, and would be an allegory for Jewish or even Muslim individuals but why do an allegory for religious discrimination or struggle when you can have a Jewish character or a Muslim character like Simon.

    Same thing if we use Supergirl as an immigrant allegory, why use her when there are probably minority characters DC has more than likely kept on the shelf that can give that story.

    So I scoff b/c she sticks out like a sore thumb, if DC Comics doesn't have a non-humanoid alien character then I guess that's why she's here.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

    ~~

    Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.


    ~~

    Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,423

    Default

    So I mean curious if it's through the filter of DC events (Crisises, Zero Hour, etc. - whatever is still in continuity) that've impacted minorities on DC Earth versus real-world events mirrored on DC Earth that changed things for minorities. I'm hoping it's creatively done with the former and not the latter. I like when the DCU remembers that it's a world with magic, myth, metahumans, etc. and how that would change the sociopolitical aspects of that world.

    E.G. Supergirl's story being about xenophobia and speciesism towards extraterrestrials in the DCU. Kara may be able to "pass" as human, but she's not and she has to own that when other aliens probably have a harder time living their lives in Metropolis or National City.

    Regardless I'm here for Montoya, Vixen, and especially Extraño - I've enjoyed how're they're reclaiming him.

  13. #58
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Does DC comics have alien characters who doesn't look white or how about an alien character who can't make themselves look human, to me they would be more deserving of that spot than Supergirl.

    Also Supergirl being well known is irrelevant b/c most minority heroes aren't well known and if that status mattered for this book then DC should have included Cyborg and if he is in the book, then he should have been mentioned but obviously him being well known does not matter so neither does Supergirl.
    It matters in that the book will pick up more sales if there is a familiar character in it that people will buy because they want to read about a character they like. And I think Supergirl is more popular than Cyborg.
    Her being female is also a non-factor Vixen's female too and so is Renee.
    Is she any less female than they are? Why is their being female more important than Kara being female?

    Same thing if we use Supergirl as an immigrant allegory, why use her when there are probably minority characters DC has more than likely kept on the shelf that can give that story.
    Why not? What is there about their story that is any more significant than her story?

    So I scoff b/c she sticks out like a sore thumb, if DC Comics doesn't have a non-humanoid alien character then I guess that's why she's here.
    Your argument basically boils down to because she looks like a Northern European, she doesn't belong, ignoring everything else about her. Not to be rude, but have you ever even read a Supergirl comic book?
    Because she is more of an outsider than just about every other character mentioned. She is having a much rougher time in school than Ben Rubel, for example. The other kids say things like "Listen to the accent,
    you can barely understand what she's saying". Do people have trouble understanding what Vixen or Renee are saying?

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    It's kind of telling how people choose to ignore Supergirl's background because she happens to look like the majority population in the US. Proves the only aspect people really care about when it comes to diversity is the physical appearance. Diversity is supposed to cover any type of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, cultural background, political or religious ideology, yet if the character happens to be white and straight, they don't get a seat at the table.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-14-2018 at 04:21 AM.

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Regardless I'm here for Montoya, Vixen, and especially Extraño - I've enjoyed how're they're reclaiming him.
    Likewise. I know some of the older material with LGBTQ characters was cringe-worthy, but I'd much rather have DC and Marvel modernize these characters, or better, do so while acknowledging their history as part of a journey, than bury them.

    This Week's Comics: Farmhand #4, Iceman #2, X-23 #5, Animosity #16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •