Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Another interview has surfaced. Not a lot of new information, but it says a lot of changes were made during the last 2 1/2 years.
    https://ew.com/books/john-ridley-the...e-dc-universe/

Black Lightning interior art:
    Attachment 102402
    I'm pretty excited for this next week, already preordered on comixology and this art is even more exciting to see.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Why is it anywhere I go online that talks about Mal and Karen, wants Karen to dump. And consider Mal dead weight and bringing her down?

I know Karen is now more popular than him because of cartoons, but everywhere I see don’t want Mal anywhere near her.

Astonishing Member

I'm excited for it because of some long overdue focus on Lightning, Mal, Bumblebee, and several others. I'm mostly curious about how it's going to play out and what the contents actually are. I do hope it's prestige good.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

this book is interesting because it's clearly not the current continuity given the focus on Thunder and 70s Black Lightning but with DC time and continuity in flux, I'm both scared and intrigued to see if they're gonna swerve to make this canon; whether in the book or after the fact. regardless, I've been waiting for whatever this ends up being for ages!
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-18-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Why is it anywhere I go online that talks about Mal and Karen, wants Karen to dump. And consider Mal dead weight and bringing her down?

I know Karen is now more popular than him because of cartoons, but everywhere I see don’t want Mal anywhere near her.
    Where are you seeing this?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this book is interesting because it's clearly not the current continuity
    I believe current continuity is not currently in continuity.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I believe current continuity is not currently in continuity.
    I mean technically it's all in continuity and none of it is in continuity; it's schrodinger's continuity.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    this book is interesting because it's clearly not the current continuity given the focus on Thunder and 70s Black Lightning but with DC time and continuity in flux, I'm both scared and intrigued to see if they're gonna swerve to make this canon; whether in the book or after the fact. regardless, I've been waiting for whatever this ends up being for ages!
    I share the same concern. I’m going to enjoy this book for what it is no matter what. 70’s Black Lightning. But if this is DC saying they’re going to age this character into obscurity going forward, then I know when to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I share the same concern. I’m going to enjoy this book for what it is no matter what. 70’s Black Lightning. But if this is DC saying they’re going to age this character into obscurity going forward, then I know when to walk away.
    This is from the interview:

Ridley approached each installment by first placing the characters in the context of real-world, but less widely known, events.

“If you don’t know who Latasha Harlins or Vincent Chin were, or what Executive Order 9066 was, you’re going to get a lesson,” says Ridley [...]. “It was very important for me to [put] these stories on a real timeline. Why [also] did the Justice League not to do anything in the Iranian hostage crisis? What was it like to watch Arthur Ashe win Wimbledon? It’s one thing to be able to [generically] save a planet. It’s another thing to watch an uprising in Los Angeles where the city is torn apart.”
    It might end up in continuity - or whatever continuity will mean-, but it definitely isn't here to set the modern take of Black Lightning (or the others) back into the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Considering Jefferson didn't really show his age in Post-Crisis, I wonder if they're going to age everyone more in real time here.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I just think they shouldn't be a package deal. She's a strong character on her own with plenty of potential for a solo series. She could be DC's Iron Man.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering Jefferson didn't really show his age in Post-Crisis, I wonder if they're going to age everyone more in real time here.
    I mean its a black label series, at that point when I hear that I equate it to non-canon/elseworld unless told otherwise.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I just think they shouldn't be a package deal. She's a strong character on her own with plenty of potential for a solo series. She could be DC's Iron Man.
    Sue Richards was able to have a mini to herself without Reed or her kids.

Mary Jane has had minis and books focus on her and not Peter.

Lois has had an ongoing and mini devoted to HER not Superman.

Why should Malcolm deserve to be tossed to the side? Because that is probably the cat calls Will Evans is hearing-because the fake woke society that is probably pushing that wants Malcolm out of the picture and painted as a "bad husband" like the guy from Wakanda. And REALLY be painted as a "bad father" for agenda purposes.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Sue Richards was able to have a mini to herself without Reed or her kids.

Mary Jane has had minis and books focus on her and not Peter.

Lois has had an ongoing and mini devoted to HER not Superman.

Why should Malcolm deserve to be tossed to the side? Because that is probably the cat calls Will Evans is hearing-because the fake woke society that is probably pushing that wants Malcolm out of the picture and painted as a "bad husband" like the guy from Wakanda. And REALLY be painted as a "bad father" for agenda purposes.

They shouldn't be a package deal doesn't mean they should break up, it means Karen should get more Karen centric storylines not Karen + Mal centered storylines.

Mary Jane has minis but does she ever have storylines on the same level as Peter?

Karen is just a stronger character than Mal, her traits make for a better series.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

So this is out and I thought it was kinda bad?

First of all it had lots of text and, I think, zero sequences. Mostly static pictures and bunch of text around them. Sure, comic book with static pages can work, sometimes, but this wasn't it for me. Next, I understand that this is coming from Black Lightning's perspective, but I really "loved" how he threw Superman under the bus. BL's relationship with Johns had an arc so I'm kinda ok of with how it played out. And Black Lighting obviously ends up being fine with Batman. You know, because he is Batman. But Superman? **** that guy.