Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The story is being told from the perspective of Jefferson Peirce and the ending is a direct rebuttal to how he thought at various times during the book. It's meant to be a different point of view, not necessarily the correct one.

John Stewart didn't try to kill himself again and again, but that's the gossip that Jefferson heard third-hand. Superman didn't avoid Suicide Slum because he doesn't care about poor neighborhoods, his efforts as Superman were symied by the 100's magic so he had to help them as Clark Kent instead, but our point of view character wouldn't know any of that, just as Batman didn't realize he only knew one black guy.

I look forward to Bumblebee's point of view.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The story is being told from the perspective of Jefferson Peirce and the ending is a direct rebuttal to how he thought at various times during the book. It's meant to be a different point of view, not necessarily the correct one.

John Stewart didn't try to kill himself again and again, but that's the gossip that Jefferson heard third-hand. Superman didn't avoid Suicide Slum because he doesn't care about poor neighborhoods, his efforts as Superman were symied by the 100's magic so he had to help them as Clark Kent instead, but our point of view character wouldn't know any of that, just as Batman didn't realize he only knew one black guy.

I look forward to Bumblebee's point of view.
    I love how all your explanations came down to "Jefferson wasn't privy to Clark's secret identity, what really happened to John or that Bruce doesn't socialize with black people."

I could just hear the record scratch at the end and it made me spit my coffee. Well-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I love how all your explanations came down to "Jefferson wasn't privy to Clark's secret identity, what really happened to John or that Bruce doesn't socialize with black people."

I could just hear the record scratch at the end and it made me spit my coffee. Well-done.
    My takeaway was just how desperate Batman was to save Lucius Fox.

Based on this comic, he would have at least known John Stewart before meeting Pierce but the premise of the Outsiders was that Bruce couldn't get help from the League so he had to resort to members who rejected the League and newbies.

So that means Bruce knows at least 3 black guys. So.....hoooray?

But seriously though, Jeff did kind of have a point about that.

But we are missing the forest for the trees here. To Jeff all these heroes were distant mythical figures whom he first regarded awe and skepticism which turned into jaded cynicism and then slowly began to realize that he had more in common with these heroes than he previously thought.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, he's definitely a multi-faceted character. I think he is very much above in the respects that count, just in a different way from how Luffy operates because they're different characters.
    There is just no radical element to the character.There is no impact to what he says or does other than when he is doing some fluff moment with regan.90% things clark does is socially acceptable.I just need more than that to call multi-faceted.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-04-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Based on this comic, he would have at least known John Stewart before meeting Pierce but the premise of the Outsiders was that Bruce couldn't get help from the League so he had to resort to members who rejected the League and newbies.

So that means Bruce knows at least 3 black guys. So.....hoooray?

But seriously though, Jeff did kind of have a point about that.

But we are missing the forest for the trees here. To Jeff all these heroes were distant mythical figures whom he first regarded awe and skepticism which turned into jaded cynicism and then slowly began to realize that he had more in common with these heroes than he previously thought.
    Jeff’s arc as I saw was that while his critiques weren’t entirely wrong, they weren’t the whole story either. Beneath the mythic exterior all the heroes were simply people trying to help as best they could.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is just no radical element to the character.There is no impact to what he says or does other than when he is doing some fluff moment with reagan.90% things clark does is socially acceptable.I just need more than that to call multi-faceted.
    He has enough different traits and views on things to count as multi-faceted in my opinion, and I think if being radical is the right thing to do, he still ends up doing it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    And this is why it is a bit hard for me to accept this whole thing as just BL's opinion. It does feel like a broader statement on Superman that is not challenged in this issue at all. Maybe Ridley will provide a different perspective on Superman in following issues, but if not then it will be just another case of DC being ok with negative Superman portrayals.

For example, you don't really follow the page with Reagan and Lets Make America Great Again slogan with a page telling how life was going great for Superman by accident. Why you'd do that if not to link Superman to Reagan and Trump?
    I didn't see that as necessarily equating Superman to Reagan or Trump (though from the narration, its clear that Pierce has some admiration for aspects of Reagan's ideology, such as self-reliance and strong values, so equating Superman to Reagan wouldn't be an entirely negative thing from his perspective).

Its more to do with a certain vision of America as a dominant powerful force for all that's "good and right" with the world, and how Superman and Supergirl reflected that. Which does make sense and falls in with certain interpretations of the character.

Superman represented a certain ideal of mainstream America which, as a black man living in a neglected neighbourhood, Pierce didn't 100% feel in sync with. Which is not to say that he was 100% out of sync with that vision of America either. He was close enough to it to be able to relate to Superman, but still enough of an outsider (pun intended!) to be able to effectively critique him.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Its more to do with a certain vision of America as a dominant powerful force for all that's "good and right" with the world, and how Superman and Supergirl reflected that. Which does make sense and falls in with certain interpretations of the character.
    Now I'm getting Frank Miller/Dark Knight Returns vibes...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jeff’s arc as I saw was that while his critiques weren’t entirely wrong, they weren’t the whole story either. Beneath the mythic exterior all the heroes were simply people trying to help as best they could.
    That's a better way of putting it.

After Death Metal, with the Omniverse and the restoration of histories, this book (and it's timing) seems even more significant. I think it was smart of DC to put this out now, using as a framework to help contextualize DC's history going forward for readers; now that these older events have been restored and may/will/can be referenced more directly.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    After Death Metal, with the Omniverse and the restoration of histories, this book (and it's timing) seems even more significant. I think it was smart of DC to put this out now, using as a framework to help contextualize DC's history going forward for readers; now that these older events have been restored and may/will/can be referenced more directly.
    Absolutely. The beauty of this new setup is that stories like this can now be freely referenced in current stories without having to worry about how it all fits together with everything else.

I would love to see Jefferson and John Stewart reference their initial relationship in the current comics

Nothing stopped them from referencing it before Death Metal.

I'm hoping this periodic thing with each set focusing on different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I don't think that's intentional as far as the actual story is concerned at the moment, but there's always that possibility.