Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, apparently, starting winter 2018, something big will begun for D.C. minority heroes : https://www.cbr.com/other-history-of...e-john-ridley/

I find the premise really interesting, and I hope that the casting will be slightly larger than what has been announced, but still there will be at least Supergirl, John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Katana and Rene Montoya and the possibility to see the History of D.C. through their eyes will be a great opportunity.
    Yeah, this could be awesome. Interesting though, how they say it will debut in Winter 2018, and we already know the releases through March. Wonder how that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Neat premise and (obviously) amazing writer, but I don't care for the character selection at all.
    You never know. Ridley's a good writer, so he might come up with a take on a character that is amazing to you. Maybe we'll all be wondering why no one writes John Stewart as good as Ridley. We just have to see. Out of curiosity though, who would be you're dream line-up for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, this could be awesome. Interesting though, how they say it will debut in Winter 2018, and we already know the releases through March. Wonder how that will work.
    See: towards end of calendar year 2018 (like maybe December).

Unless for some reason DC is defining seasons by the Southern half of the hemisphere, where I believe it's currently "summer".

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised Ridley is using Supergirl, beyond her popularity, since the only real connection she has to being a minority is that her story has similarities to the immigrant experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And, she's a female, not jut another white Anglo-Saxon male character.
    And there aren't too many Kryptonians on Earth, so Supergirl is definitely a minority, that just happens to resemble someone from Northern Europe. If she looked like someone from Central Africa
    or Eastern Asia it wouldn't make her more of a minority in the context of where she is from. In fact she is more of a minority than characters like Rene Montoya or Vixen or Katana.

Really hope Blue Beetle and Vibe are included.

This story would be a good opportunity to promote lesser known or new character. I’m really interested in one of the Immortal Men called Ghostfist. He was the hero of Harlem in the 1920s. I love the noir Shadow-like characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    . . . I’m really interested in one of the Immortal Men called Ghostfist. He was the hero of Harlem in the 1920s. I love the noir Shadow-like characters.

Dang, that does sound interesting.

(May have to look more into that title now. But why does it have to involve James Tynion IV?!?)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Out of curiosity though, who would be you're dream line-up for this project?
    Off the top of my head and keeping it to six, since that's how many have been announced:

Cassandra Cain, Fire, Simon Baz, Kenan Kong, Jakeem Thunder and Renee Montoya. With that group, you have an equal gender split, a variety of ethnic backgrounds, a character who gives a POV from outside of America, a mix of larger, more popular characters and smaller ones, along with some young characters mixed in with the adults. Plus, you know, I love em all.

Concerning Kenan, I think he's a little bit too young to be in an anthology about the D.C. Universe history. Older characters probably would be better suited for that, depending on how far back they want to go with it.

I'm curious if Ridley picked the characters he's using or if DC mandated any, though I'm more willing to bet it's the former.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Concerning Kenan, I think he's a little bit too young to be in an anthology about the D.C. Universe history. Older characters probably would be better suited for that, depending on how far back they want to go with it.
    Half the characters I picked were adults, while the other half were teens. This was deliberate in order to show different POVs, figuring the adults could be the witnesses to older events and the teens to newer ones. That said, I am recalling now that Kenan wasn't even familiar with cape stuff at the start of his book so he might not actually work.

Off the top of my head and keeping it to six, since that's how many have been announced:

Cassandra Cain, Fire, Simon Baz, Kenan Kong, Jakeem Thunder and Renee Montoya. With that group, you have an equal gender split, a variety of ethnic backgrounds, a character who gives a POV from outside of America, a mix of larger, more popular characters and smaller ones, along with some young characters mixed in with the adults. Plus, you know, I love em all.
    Supergirl definitely gives a point of view from outside of America. And from a female point of view. Plus if they want to sell the book they need to throw in some popular characters, people the casual reader would know
    about and what to buy the book because that character is in it. I can't really see anyone but hardcore DC readers wanting to buy the book because those characters are in it. I think Renee Montoya is probably about
    the only one people who never read comic books has heard about, because she was in the cartoons and on a few episodes of Gotham. You say Simon Baz or Kenan Kong to someone and all you would get is a blank
    stare, maybe they'd think you meant King Kong.

I can see Renee giving the perspective of growing up in Gotham as Batman debuts. That's pretty obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious if Ridley picked the characters he's using or if DC mandated any, though I'm more willing to bet it's the former.
    I'm more than sure Ridley picked the characters. I don't think this is something that DC mandated for.

I would love to see him bring the first John Henry character into regular DC continuity. That was one of the most power parts of New Frontier. Yes, the 1960s was a time of space exploration but it was also a time of the Civil Rights movement and some of the darkest moments in recent American history.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I would love to see him bring the first John Henry character into regular DC continuity. That was one of the most power parts of New Frontier. Yes, the 1960s was a time of space exploration but it was also a time of the Civil Rights movement and some of the darkest moments in recent American history.

I'm kind of surprised Ridley isn't using Steel, but John Henry might still be in it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    See: towards end of calendar year 2018 (like maybe December).

Unless for some reason DC is defining seasons by the Southern half of the hemisphere, where I believe it's currently "summer".
    I reread the article and I'm not seeing it for whatever reason. Where did it say end of calendar year? Seem weird they'd be announcing it now if it was.

I'm guessing Simon and Kenan are a little too new. There aren't many events of the DC universe they could have witnessed. Still, it would be cool if they could be included.