Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Seems most of the complaining is coming from posters jumping through hoops to explain why she should be here to be the white savior this story needs to make it “appealing” to a section of the masses ala X-Men( pretty white people being oppressed is far easier to take then the real world reminder). Writers and artist using the medium to express their political beliefs is as old as the medium but it’s only now that a contingent of fans are upset about it get weirdly phalic about it
    Yeah, I don't think you're using that description correctly in this instance.

I'm not "upset" about politics in comics, I'm pointing out there have been many times writers have written these heroes completely out of character to suit their own political narrative. The cover Crazy Diamond was referring to where Superman is printing a poster that says "Superman says you can slap a Jap" is a good example.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-16-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Super neat premise. I'm just shocked to see Extrano being used again. lol

It'll be interesting to see how the unique places in life these characters come from, some being more successful than others, some being more objectified, etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    For those reading her book might notice her "growing" interest in Ben (I wish I was Static) Rubel. It's been implied he doesn't live with his parents and came from somewhere else.

So don't be shocked if IR relationships is explored by John-who is married to a nonblack woman.

Well tell that to the retailers and entitlement fans who have given Marvel HELL about the looks of certain characters.

If this project was done at Marvel-this thread would not be this civil.

It's not that whites can be or should be exclude from this-it's what story can you tell that won't get buried and ignored because certain segments of fandom will only go off on the POC lead parts.

Black folks adopt white kids too.

There were white schools that had not trouble allowing every race into the schools except black (we had a bunch here in Texas).

Throw Clark Kent into a family of Black Panther activists. How would he come out?

You can get just as many stories out of that as you can with POC, LGBT & women leads.
    Supergirl dealing with bigotry due to being in an interracial relationship would be different, and worth examining. I did not even think of that.

Writers just have to be careful not to make the straight white male a white savior when constructing stories centered around racism & discrimination.

Too bad Val Zod is not in use.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm looking forward to this.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Since Val-Zod is on Earth-2, and therefore was pretty much absent for the events said to be explored in this, I don't think he'd have anything to say or contribute in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    So adding to some of the weirdness about the promotion of this project, the press release said John Ridley was going to talk about this project on a panel during DC in DC. The panel happened on Saturday and when Ridley was asked about the project, he refused to talk about it. I guess they were some crossed wires on that front.
    I hope that doesn't speak to whatever is going on with him and DC...

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope that doesn't speak to whatever is going on with him and DC...
    My guess is that it was an error in the press release and that he can't really talk about it at this point.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    My guess is that it was an error in the press release and that he can't really talk about it at this point.
    That is entirely possible. I remember Genevieve Valentine, who has done a lot of movie and TV criticism, saying that DC's policies about leaks and control of announcements are more draconic than those of most production companies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Or the push back has already started.

Yeah, I don't think you're using that description correctly in this instance.
    Hatred for X-Men is expected because they have powers. Some like Rogue can kill a person by touch. That is understandable. No one wants to hear bout them being oppressed when look at some of those powers.

Prodigy is dangers by himself. How many secrets could he get out of the White House just by going on a White House tour?

Yet despite that Prodigy is hated for his skin color ALONE by some. Synch was single out by racists in Generation X twice. Those mutants can protect themselves-normal POC, LGBT & women can't.

If the X-Men are that dangerous-racism towards others should not exist in Marvel. Yet like we have seen in other shows about aliens-folks still seem to hate POC, LGBT & women. Unless it's a CW show.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Super neat premise. I'm just shocked to see Extrano being used again. lol
    Extrano was rebooted for the Apollo & Midnighter series last year, so he's not quite as terrible as he used to be. I'm glad something is picking up on that development as well.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Extrano was rebooted for the Apollo & Midnighter series last year, so he's not quite as terrible as he used to be. I'm glad something is picking up on that development as well.
    Actually, he's pretty awesome in that series.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Hatred for X-Men is expected because they have powers. Some like Rogue can kill a person by touch. That is understandable. No one wants to hear bout them being oppressed when look at some of those powers.
    Who says anything about oppression? I said the phrase "white savior" was used incorrectly. White savior is someone who goes to a foreign land full of non-white people, appropriates their culture, learns their ways and saves them from something they can't save themselves from. Supergirl's adopted land has a majority population that looks like her and plenty of heroes of every color that protect it day after day. She can't be a "white savior". I've said my piece about the argument that "the pretty white girl shouldn't be included in this story". Look at her as the "outsider" if you insist.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Actually, he's pretty awesome in that series.
    In the Apollo & Midnighter? That's what I was saying, yeah. he's not as stereotypical as he was in New Guardians.

Another interview has surfaced. Not a lot of new information, but it says a lot of changes were made during the last 2 1/2 years.
    https://ew.com/books/john-ridley-the...e-dc-universe/

Black Lightning interior art:
    OHLightingInterior.jpg