Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Conan: Returning to Marvel

“From Barry Windsor-Smith to John Buscema to Neal Adams, a legendary lineup of amazing artists brought Conan to life in the pages of Marvel comics,” said C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. “It’s a legacy we’re now going to live up to with the talent we have lined up for the Cimmerian barbarian’s homecoming in early 2019. We’re excited!”

Source: https://news.marvel.com/comics/82990...eturns-marvel/

Man, Dark Horse is fucked now. Dunno how to feel about this...

What else does Dark Horse publish? I know Marvel already took Star Wars off them too but they still have a bunch of other licenses don't they?

And I see it says 2019, so DH do have a year to clear out their inventory. That's more than Archie got when they lost the Sonic rights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What else does Dark Horse publish? I know Marvel already took Star Wars off them too but they still have a bunch of other licenses don't they?

And I see it says 2019, so DH do have a year to clear out their inventory. That's more than Archie got when they lost the Sonic rights.
    They took Star Wars, and with Disney buying Fox, it's entirely possible they'll nab Aliens, Predator, maybe Avatar (when the absolute Madman James finishes 2). Dark Horse will be left with Hellboy and whatever video-game they snag for a mini.AFAIK, Halo, Mass Effect, Witcher, all have stopped. With Conan gone, things ain't looking that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    They took Star Wars, and with Disney buying Fox, it's entirely possible they'll nab Aliens, Predator, maybe Avatar (when the absolute Madman James finishes 2). Dark Horse will be left with Hellboy and whatever video-game they snag for a mini.AFAIK, Halo, Mass Effect, Witcher, all have stopped. With Conan gone, things ain't looking that good.
    Dark Horse should partner with Universal and take their Dark Universe plans and establish them as comics.

Wolfman, Van Helsing, Dracula, The Creature, The Thing, Monster Squad, The Invisible Man, Jekyl and Hyde, The Mummy, The Monster (Frankenstien), etc.

Those would be awesome.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Completely unexpected.

Sure feel bad for Dark Horse, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Dark Horse should partner with Universal and take their Dark Universe plans and establish them as comics.

Wolfman, Van Helsing, Dracula, The Creature, The Thing, Monster Squad, The Invisible Man, Jekyl and Hyde, The Mummy, The Monster (Frankenstien), etc.

Those would be awesome.
    Dark Universe has been scrapped though, and considering these are all public domain characters, there's really no need for a partnership. I guess Dark Horse could try something like it, but the loss of Star Wars, now Conan and probably Alien/Predator is too much.

1515781201977.jpg

Ultimate Member

I hope that they get the rights to Red Sonja as well.

There's no excuse. Marvel should hire Christopher Priest to be the main Conan writer. He did a well-received run back in the 1980s.

Marvel corporate should also look into buying the Conan character this time around. They really should have bought the character decades ago.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-12-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member

At least this means we can expect:

- Reprints of the original Conan comics without the horrible computer colors Dark Horse used in their reprints. (Modern-style coloring on old comics is always bad, but luckily Marvel rarely does it now, except for Simonson's Thor, where I believe Simonson - wrongly - wanted it that way.)

- A reprint of Claremont and Byrne's Marvel Team-Up story where Mary Jane turns into Red Sonja and teams up with Spider-Man to battle Kulan Gath.

This feels like the first true "LEGACY" themed move Marvel has done: Conan and the Hyborian Age are a BIG part of the Marvel Universe's history. Just to name a few, Mary Jane is a descendant of Red Sonya, Selene was alive during the reign of Kulan Gath, Atlantis sunk, the serpent's crown and so on.
    This is big and I'm overjoyed.

BANNED

I am quite looking forward to Conan the Barbarian coming back to Marvel Comics. I have always loved the character. I just hope that they do not tone him down, take away all the violence and nudity and pure badassery that comes with Conan and his world/universe. That being said, I cannot help but wonder two things.

1) Will Conan the Barbarian fight and/or team-up with other Marvel characters?

2) Does Marvel/Disney have intentions on eventually making a R-rated Conan The Barbarian film that's faithful to the source material?

Now, I have to ask, who would you like to see Conan the Barbarian team-up with?

I'd personally like to see him team-up with:

1) Hulk/Banner
    2) Skaar
    3) Thor
    4) Wolverine
    5) Captain America

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post

Those would be awesome.
    I might actually read those.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What else does Dark Horse publish?
    A lot. Just check their solicits. It's not like Conan was carrying them anyway.

Unexpected. Just hope in the third number Marvel don't replace him with a black girl.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Serious question, does anyone still read Conan? It has always felt like a remnant of a bygone era to me. Even the original prose stories are quite old-fashioned and have many of the problematic issues that many pulp era books share.