Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Knockagh View Post
    I’m gutted. This is suicide for Conan. Utterly bonkers. Which of the three titles is running with this?
    Avengers No Road Home. Not one of the Conan solo books like you apparently thought.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Avengers No Road Home. Not one of the Conan solo books like you apparently thought.
    Thank goodness for that. Avengers can do what they like. Never collected them, not my thing at all. Still a stupid idea. My subscription to all 3 Conan’s remain intact!
    I am sorry that the chronological Conan story told by dark horse won’t be finished. I’ve adored that series and looked forward to a complete collection following his life.

Conan's world should be a separate planet. No need to conflate it with "Earth" of any kind.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Conan's world should be a separate planet. No need to conflate it with "Earth" of any kind.
    Hhmmm not sure Robert Howard would agree with that.... but if you mean not the marvel earth in the last 3 millennium then I get what your saying and agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    You do realize that Conan's hyborian age has been the official past of the Marvel Universe for most of said universe existence, right? Atlantis sinking into the ocean comes from just before that time period, for example. Selene (the oldest living mutant, far older than Apocalypse) does to. Kulan Gath faced Spider Man and the Avengers/X-Men more than once. Red Sonja is an ancestor of Mary Jane and Conan met the Avengers before as well.

I really don't understand how Conan returning to Marvel could be considered a change (and a bad one besides). It's things returing to how they used to be, actually.

if and when marvel loses the Conan license (again), it's risky to embed too much "real" Marvel history with Conan-universe events and settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    You do realize that Conan's hyborian age has been the official past of the Marvel Universe for most of said universe existence, right? Atlantis sinking into the ocean comes from just before that time period, for example. Selene (the oldest living mutant, far older than Apocalypse) does to. Kulan Gath faced Spider Man and the Avengers/X-Men more than once. Red Sonja is an ancestor of Mary Jane and Conan met the Avengers before as well.

I really don't understand how Conan returning to Marvel could be considered a change (and a bad one besides). It's things returing to how they used to be, actually.
    That history was always not quite right and it has been ignored for a long while. I don’t expect it to be revived.

Amazing Member

Anyone buying into any of the variant covers?

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That history was always not quite right and it has been ignored for a long while. I don’t expect it to be revived.
    In your own (very questionable imo) opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post

All of that was stupid before too.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully this mean Groo is coming back too.

Mighty Member

Cool! I'd like for the interactions to remain on the Marvel comics side continuity, but either way works for me. There's tons of ways for it to work. Conan interacts with wild sorcerers all the time, so Scarlet Witch fits in perfectly in a long line of beautiful and deadly magicians Conan has interacted with. Ideally the Conan books won't reference it, the Avengers books will, and that way I get the best of both worlds.

I think this was inevitable and I was fully expecting this. It would be really odd for Marvel to get the licence, hype it up, put top creators on the books and then not try to maximize his exposure. I think there's a pretty low ceiling for how high the Conan books will sell so something like this that fits and makes sense and gets more eyes on the book is a good idea imo.

So, Marvel gave Diamond's request the finger and released the March solicits today, and "Age of Conan" turns out to be a 5-part miniseries "Age of Conan: Bęlit", telling the backstory of the Queen of the Black Coast. I'm familiar with neither writer nor artist. This one I think I'll wait for a collected edition, because as much as I love Conan, three titles per month is pushing it. Plus, there's also the French adaptations coming out these days, and they're not inexpensive either.

Issue #1 of Conan the Barbarian and two of the True Believer reprints (CtB #1 and 4) came out this week. I really enjoyed the first issue, and the serialized novel chapter in the back matter. I have a few quibbles, but overall a strong debut.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

1st issue was great which was really surprising. I personally am not a huge aaron fan and given how I feel about how his run on Thor handled my favorite Marvel character I was less than excited to see him take the reigns on Conan. However he really seemed to get the character pretty well, not perfect but given that it's Marvel handling it there will certainly be changes from Howard's material. Even though I did enjoy the 1st issue I am still being cautious in my optimism because given that Aaron is handling the main Conan book , I would be shocked if at some point he doesn't have Crom show up as a Villain or something like that. I just really hope Marvel tries to stay true to the character and avoids interjecting 2019 politics and attitudes into the Conan books. The cross over with the avengers and how they will portray him in that is concerning to me especially given who is writing that event.

Concerns aside the art was great and this was a solid, fun first issue, cant' wait for #2 as well as Savage Sword and the Belit book. I do appreciate that they seem to be giving Conan a big push that might make the books successful in the long term.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard