Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Given that the Avengers event involves the Scarlet Witch, I'm assuming the Crimson Witch is supposed to be some kind of ancestor? Not really sure where this is going yet, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Issue #1 of Conan the Barbarian and two of the True Believer reprints (CtB #1 and 4) came out this week. I really enjoyed the first issue, and the serialized novel chapter in the back matter. I have a few quibbles, but overall a strong debut.

-M
    Agreed. I really dug this issue. Just a damn solid read and clearly a lot of love went into it.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    1st issue was great which was really surprising. I personally am not a huge aaron fan and given how I feel about how his run on Thor handled my favorite Marvel character I was less than excited to see him take the reigns on Conan. However he really seemed to get the character pretty well, not perfect but given that it's Marvel handling it there will certainly be changes from Howard's material. Even though I did enjoy the 1st issue I am still being cautious in my optimism because given that Aaron is handling the main Conan book , I would be shocked if at some point he doesn't have Crom show up as a Villain or something like that. I just really hope Marvel tries to stay true to the character and avoids interjecting 2019 politics and attitudes into the Conan books. The cross over with the avengers and how they will portray him in that is concerning to me especially given who is writing that event.

Concerns aside the art was great and this was a solid, fun first issue, cant' wait for #2 as well as Savage Sword and the Belit book. I do appreciate that they seem to be giving Conan a big push that might make the books successful in the long term.
    I could care less about the Avengers x-over, as I won't be reading it, and unless it bleeds into the main book (or Savage Sword) somehow, it won't affect my enjoyment of the Conan books for good or ill.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Issue #1 of Conan the Barbarian and two of the True Believer reprints (CtB #1 and 4) came out this week. I really enjoyed the first issue, and the serialized novel chapter in the back matter. I have a few quibbles, but overall a strong debut.

-M
    Very surprised at how much i enjoyed this. I was a bit worried but Aaron seems to get Conan and Asrar delivered on the art big time. GREAT issue.

The first issue was good shockingly. I wish the new Conan novella wasn't being published in the comic. It would be nice not to have to buy the comic to read it. I expect Aaron to ignore key aspect of the character soon. Maybe turn him into a socerer or turn him into a idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    The first issue was good shockingly. I wish the new Conan novella wasn't being published in the comic. It would be nice not to have to buy the comic to read it. I expect Aaron to ignore key aspect of the character soon. Maybe turn him into a socerer or turn him into a idiot.
    completely agree, was shocked how much I enjoyed the first issue. The Novella was a pleasant surprise and was really well done for the little we got. My faith in Aaron is low though,I will say He and asrar do sound like they genuinely love the character so hopefully they avoid major changes in his character. But given how he writes Thor as an incompetent,foolish lumbering, jackass I wouldn't be surprised if Conan is dumbed down in a similar manner. Also Given how he sees Odin in the Thor books I fully expect Crom to become a villain at some point during the series. I just hope we don't get an amazing arc or two, followed by Conan being replaced by a woman who literally takes on the name Conan, somehow has all his skills, uses all his weapons and defeats all of his enemies with ease while everyone in the hyborbian age comments that she is greatest Conan of them all.
    Last edited by regg215; 01-02-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

completely agree, was shocked how much I enjoyed the first issue. The Novella was a pleasant surprise and was really well done for the little we got. My faith in Aaron is low though,I will say He and asrar do sound like they genuinely love the character so hopefully they avoid major changes in his character. But given how he writes Thor as an incompetent,foolish lumbering, jackass I wouldn't be surprised if Conan is dumbed down in a similar manner. Also Given how he sees Odin in the Thor books I fully expect Crom to become a villain at some point during the series. I just hope we don't get an amazing arc or two, followed by Conan being replaced by a woman who literally takes on the name Conan, somehow has all his skills, uses all his weapons and defeats all of his enemies with ease while everyone in the hyborbian age comments that she is greatest Conan of them all.

I honestly expected Conan to pray to Crom in the issue. I have no faith in Aaron. I would expect him to ruin Red Nails if he copied it from Robert E. Howard's original copy of the story.
    Last edited by nnelg; 01-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.

BANNED

But given how he writes Thor as an incompetent,foolish lumbering, jackass I wouldn't be surprised if Conan is dumbed down in a similar manner. Also Given how he sees Odin in the Thor books I fully expect Crom to become a villain at some point during the series. I just hope we don't get an amazing arc or two, followed by Conan being replaced by a woman who literally takes on the name Conan, somehow has all his skills, uses all his weapons and defeats all of his enemies with ease while everyone in the hyborbian age comments that she is greatest Conan of them all.
    Ha ha ha

Decent first issue. Doesn't really touch the Busiek run over at Dark Horse, but still decent. I'll be on board.

Astonishing Member

Thought this was a pretty decent first issue. The art was a big selling point and it delivered. I also appreciate the fact that Marvel have acknowledged the previous stories by having this series resume with legacy numbering. I'll imagine the other two series will have it as well.

The back up excerpt wasn't bad either. But it would have been better if it had been adapted into comic form. Readers get more bang for their buck and, by the time the first trade is collected for the main feature, they'd be able to do a separate trade for the backup. Just a minor nitpick though.

Looking forward to tasting what the others have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Ha ha ha

Decent first issue. Doesn't really touch the Busiek run over at Dark Horse, but still decent. I'll be on board.
    Comparing Busiek's work and Aaron's is like comparing a good steak and a shit sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Thought this was a pretty decent first issue. The art was a big selling point and it delivered. I also appreciate the fact that Marvel have acknowledged the previous stories by having this series resume with legacy numbering. I'll imagine the other two series will have it as well.

The back up excerpt wasn't bad either. But it would have been better if it had been adapted into comic form. Readers get more bang for their buck and, by the time the first trade is collected for the main feature, they'd be able to do a separate trade for the backup. Just a minor nitpick though.

Looking forward to tasting what the others have to offer.
    The back up is the new Conan novella split up in to 12 chapters. Instead of publishing it for Kindle they have it gated behind the comic purchase. I just wanted the novella.

Astonishing Member

Saw Jason wrote this, skipped it

Liked the first ish but I share many of the concerns already expressed in the thread as well.

We'll see. All I'm really hoping for is a solid year or so before Marvel screws it up somehow.
    Batman - Daredevil

Spectacular Member

How about instead of crying about erros or fails that COULD happen we just enjoy it will it is really good? Because the first issue was really really good and if you think about the last time Aaron had a 12 part story with different eras of the protagonist in mind it will continue do be really good.

Haha, given Marvel‘s current policy might interfere with Conan and his change into a female or transgender person might be possible, I stll think Serd is right. Issue 1 was great, I really felt taken back to those great entertaining times of pure sword and sorcery adventure.
    Asrar was made for Conan! Keep steady and please ignore all the doomsday predictions and let Conan stay true to his roots.