Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I cannot help some of the things people are going on about Conan under current Marvel is, no offense, just plain silly... I mean, do people really think Marvel are going to turn him into some sort of 'genderfluid Muslim'? Its just hyperbole that does neither side any good. I just don't see how he can be anything other then the bad ass Barbarian he has been since his creation. Anyway, all that said, I think this is an interesting move. I have been meaning to start reading about him, given my love of Red Sonja, so this may be a good jumping in point.
    The same could be said about many Marvel characters, but Marvel has did their best to flush readership trust down the toilet, so it's no surprise that many people, myself included, would be leery that new Marvel Conan book wouldn't do the character proper justice, I remember in 2016 they promised a characters return to greatness only to be greeted with this bullshit.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Dark Horse really put out some great stuff for all their licensed properties. I haven't followed them too closely (just reading some stuff now after a long time), but yeah, the mini schedule is a bit weird. Although I suppose it's better to publish a story worth telling, rather than just print whatever in order to fill each month's issue.

As for Terminator, Robocop and the like, I don't know. IDW I think published the latest stuff.
    That's a good point about not wanting to just shovel out issues each month. Movie-based comics before Dark Horse often did that; put out ongoing titles of dubious quality that went on as long as a certain property was hot, then end things abruptly when the public moved on. I own the original Marvel Robocop series, and there was at least one or two hanging storylines that were never resolved; the same thing happened with Now Comics' Terminator series. That being said, we live in different times, and movie-based comics outside of Dark Horse on the whole are generally given much better treatment than they were in the past. Marvel's current Star Wars titles are almost as good as the stuff put out by Dark Horse, and I think that they could do other franchises justice as well.

About Sonja, I didn't know that; I just figured that she would get pulled over with Conan due to being part of the Hyborian Age. Come to think of it, I wonder if Marvel will get Kull the Conqueror as well?

One other point of note is that Shuma Gorath's story is explicitly tied to Conan, and he's well-woven into the MU (he may yet appear in a future Dr. Strange film). This could be a good way to have Conan woven into the larger MU.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    One other point of note is that Shuma Gorath's story is explicitly tied to Conan
    If shuma's story is tied to conan's it would be no more after dark horse had the license and they have already rebooted the conan story and created a new universe.

Now if conan comes back to marvel and in 616 universe then they may connect it again or 616 conan could be reboot again or conan may have rebooted story in a alternate marvel universe.
    Last edited by mace11; 01-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Jason Aaron can be so cool as writer of these new Conan books.

I found this in his instagram (He's a big fan of the Cimmerian)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3NMK1BT-A/

BANNED

Marvel's current Star Wars titles are almost as good as the stuff put out by Dark Horse, and I think that they could do other franchises justice as well.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. Marvel's Star Wars verse has been mediocre IMHO. I don't even consider the NuCanon canon. The old EU is where it's at. The Vader comics are good, but that's it. The main book was so-so and the various minis just serviceable. I mean, where's my Fett book? Or my Empire book? What about KotOR? Plus, it doesn't help that most NuWars Chars are boring and bland as Hell.

One other point of note is that Shuma Gorath's story is explicitly tied to Conan, and he's well-woven into the MU (he may yet appear in a future Dr. Strange film). This could be a good way to have Conan woven into the larger MU.
    I doubt it, but it would be cool to have a Conan easter-egg/nod in a DS film with Shuma in it. But from what I hear, DS2 is likely to be Nightmare-centric, so Gorath would be in 3 if it ever happens.

BANNED

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Marvel's Star Wars verse has been mediocre IMHO. I don't even consider the NuCanon canon. The old EU is where it's at. The Vader comics are good, but that's it. The main book was so-so and the various minis just serviceable. I mean, where's my Fett book? Or my Empire book? What about KotOR? Plus, it doesn't help that most NuWars Chars are boring and bland as Hell.
    Tell me about it, Marvel's new Star Wars books have nothing on what Dark Horse accomplished. Lately I've been reading through Legacy, to wash the taste of TLJ out of my mouth, and I keep thinking that Legacy feels like a real Star Wars story - bold and creative while also honouring what has come before in the EU. This new Marvel Star Wars books have none of that, derivative and never pushing boundaries beyond the very limited scope of the Disney movies. Suffice to say, I'm apprehensive about how Marvel will handle Conan, if Star Wars is any indication.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Tell me about it, Marvel's new Star Wars books have nothing on what Dark Horse accomplished. Lately I've been reading through Legacy, to wash the taste of TLJ out of my mouth, and I keep thinking that Legacy feels like a real Star Wars story - bold and creative while also honouring what has come before in the EU. This new Marvel Star Wars books have none of that, derivative and never pushing boundaries beyond the very limited scope of the Disney movies. Suffice to say, I'm apprehensive about how Marvel will handle Conan, if Star Wars is any indication.
    Dark Horse's books just were more imaginative. Different eras, all new characters, expansion of the mythos. Marvel's stuff are just the OT going on wacky adventures with no real meaning. Sure, DH also had OT stories, but they were the minority compared to all the expansion. The EU was just generally a grand experiment that I enjoyed, based on what I read (still behind on some stuff).

As for Conan, I reckon it'll be a "safe" book. I'm not expecting much changes or some over the top brutallity. More like a return to the old Marvel series through some new lenses. We'll see anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    It could be still be another universe or a crossover into each others universes or just art showing that conan is back at marvel.
    Yes but the choice in and of itself tells us something I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Jason Aaron can be so cool as writer of these new Conan books.

I found this in his instagram (He's a big fan of the Cimmerian)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3NMK1BT-A/
    I think I would only be interested if a very high profile writer like this was on the book. I certainly have never bothered to read a single Conan comic in the past. I have read a smattering of the original short stories but by no means all of them. Can't say I was particularly impressed with them. I much prefer the horror of that period than adventure or sword and sorcery.

Actually, on this point, which run would fans highlight as quintessential Conan comics and why?

Especially given Dark Horse's almost passive agressive pricing policy on their digital books just before they lost the Star Wars licence I imagine bargains will be had.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-13-2018 at 03:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'll read this so long as the art is on point for me and it's in keeping with the flavour of the source material, I would have no interest if they rework or restyle the character much

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I've only read bits and pieces, so I didn't know that. I do personally think that Marvel is being less bold for fear of hurting the "brand," even though it was the experimentalism of the old EU which kept the Star Wars franchise alive at all for years.

I doubt it, but it would be cool to have a Conan easter-egg/nod in a DS film with Shuma in it. But from what I hear, DS2 is likely to be Nightmare-centric, so Gorath would be in 3 if it ever happens.
    I was thinking more along the lines of in a third movie. I assumed that the second film would focus on Baron Mordo.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Admittedly I haven't read nearly all of the Marvel stories of Conan, but from what I have read (mostly through Dark Horse collections, haha) I can't say the Marvel stuff really had the quality found in the DH books headed up by Allie, Busiek, and Truman. The faithfulness and reverence to the source material combined with excellent abilities to adapt stories and phenomenal art made those comics actually some of my all time favorites. And I know that being produced so many years later made many of those things available where they weren't before, but just the same I can't help but think the new Marvel Conan comics will feel a little more like Marvel where DH didn't have a house flavor that I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I cannot help some of the things people are going on about Conan under current Marvel is, no offense, just plain silly... I mean, do people really think Marvel are going to turn him into some sort of 'genderfluid Muslim'? Its just hyperbole that does neither side any good.
    I laughed at your example and then I saw it wasn't that far from the truth...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I'll read this so long as the art is on point for me and it's in keeping with the flavour of the source material, I would have no interest if they rework or restyle the character much
    Charles Soule and Gail Simone writing wise and Mike Deodato or Greg Land art wise would be the only ones I'd trust on Marvel's current talent roster to get the book anywhere near right

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    There's no excuse. Marvel should hire Christopher Priest to be the main Conan writer. He did a well-received run back in the 1980s.

Marvel corporate should also look into buying the Conan character this time around. They really should have bought the character decades ago.
    They couldn't. They lost the franchise around the same time they nearly went bust (hence the selling off of movie rights back then). They certainly can now, but it was a different story two decades ago.

Extraordinary Member

At least this means we can expect:

- Reprints of the original Conan comics without the horrible computer colors Dark Horse used in their reprints. (Modern-style coloring on old comics is always bad, but luckily Marvel rarely does it now, except for Simonson's Thor, where I believe Simonson - wrongly - wanted it that way.)

- A reprint of Claremont and Byrne's Marvel Team-Up story where Mary Jane turns into Red Sonja and teams up with Spider-Man to battle Kulan Gath.