Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Reader View Post
    Charles Soule and Gail Simone writing wise and Mike Deodato or Greg Land art wise would be the only ones I'd trust on Marvel's current talent roster to get the book anywhere near right
    lot of time for these guys

For all its criticism I like lands art more often than not

Charles Soule and Gail Simone writing wise and Mike Deodato or Greg Land art wise would be the only ones I'd trust on Marvel's current talent roster to get the book anywhere near right
    I like Charles work so he would be cool, but Gail Simone is my favorite comic book writer so she is my #1 pick for sure. Her Red Sonja is divine!

The same could be said about many Marvel characters, but Marvel has did their best to flush readership trust down the toilet, so it's no surprise that many people, myself included, would be leery that new Marvel Conan book wouldn't do the character proper justice, I remember in 2016 they promised a characters return to greatness only to be greeted with this bullshit.
    Well.. I, as a fan of Cap, actually liked the HydraCap story and what it tried to represent... I guess I also prefer to be optimistic rather then permanently pessimistic, but thats just me!

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    - A reprint of Claremont and Byrne's Marvel Team-Up story where Mary Jane turns into Red Sonja and teams up with Spider-Man to battle Kulan Gath.
    The rights to Red Sonja is included in the deal?

Intereting development. I don’t know where a character like Conan would fit into the Marvel universe. Marvel didn’t really do much with Angela when she joined the mix. They made a concerted effort, but couldn’t really make it work. Makes me wonder if maybe they’ll try something different with Conan. I’ve enjoyed his crossover series with Red Sonja. If Marvel and find the right writer and artist, I think this has potential.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    The rights to Red Sonja is included in the deal?
    I doubt it. I think they still belong to Dynamite, who are currently publishing a (Rather good!) ongoing for her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Actually, on this point, which run would fans highlight as quintessential Conan comics and why?
    I have read more Conan,the Barbarian and it was not a comic book that i would be able to collect month in and out because of budget issues and distribuition issues (it was much more easier to find new x-men comics that Conan comics way back), having said that i remember liking a lot the Conan stories illustrated by John Buscema.
    Then there was Savage Sword of Conan that was a mature comic book that i even read less that Conan the Barbarian,but the ones i read were good if you dont mind comic book stories in Black and White.
    About stories details i am sorry but i can not remember much because it have been several years since i read the Marvel Conan comic books.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 01-13-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Jason Aaron can be so cool as writer of these new Conan books.

I found this in his instagram (He's a big fan of the Cimmerian)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3NMK1BT-A/
    Agreed.
    Talking about writers he seems like a good choice,Gerry Conway and Mark Waid are other writers i would like to write Conan comic books.

Serious question, does anyone still read Conan? It has always felt like a remnant of a bygone era to me. Even the original prose stories are quite old-fashioned and have many of the problematic issues that many pulp era books share.
    Remnant of a bygone era? That just means it has a lot in common with many of the comics Marvel makes. And maybe after the current Axel years Marvel needs to get a little problematic
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-13-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Remnant of a bygone era? That just means it has a lot in common with many of the comics Marvel makes. And maybe after the current Axel years Marvel needs to get a little problematic
    Problematic in the fact that there are similarities in the mythology to the Thule Society nonsense. Something most try and sweep under the carpet but knowing quite a bit about the latter makes the former feel very uncomfortable reading. Nobody wants to be that problematic.

BANNED

Problematic in the fact that there are similarities in the mythology to the Thule Society nonsense. Something most try and sweep under the carpet but knowing quite a bit about the latter makes the former feel very uncomfortable reading. Nobody wants to be that problematic.
    You're comparing Conan to Nazi occultism? That's a stretch. I bet you desperately want to claim that anyone who reads Conan today is also a Nazi sympathiser, that's the logical conclusion of your baseless insinuations. Best leave politics out of this and let people enjoy fun adventure stories like Conan. Assuming of course that Marvel isn't stupid enough to ruin Conan as a character over some misguided political agenda.

Incredible Member

No one has ever tied Conan into any type of nazi beliefs, Conan was supposed to be a proto Irishman, which makes sense as Robert E. Howard was an Irishmen himself

Howard actually wanted to do historical novels but he felt it'd take too much research, so he just built his own world, which has become a staple of fantasy fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Yeah, he will be the right choice for a Conan book after the likes of John and Sal Buscema and Barry Windsor-Smith.
    Never followed Conan, but I certainly would for Ribic

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Agreed.
    Talking about writers he seems like a good choice,Gerry Conway and Mark Waid are other writers i would like to write Conan comic books.
    Conway would be interesting especially after his awesome Carnage run. Didn't he quit/get fired recently though?

The same could be said about many Marvel characters, but Marvel has did their best to flush readership trust down the toilet, so it's no surprise that many people, myself included, would be leery that new Marvel Conan book wouldn't do the character proper justice, I remember in 2016 they promised a characters return to greatness only to be greeted with this bullshit.
    Loved Secret Empire and both Cap books that led up to this. Spencer's whole point seemed to be "enough of this hero vs hero crap. Fix it now before it's too late". Seemed directly pointed at Marvel. I think they are about to right the ship.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    Loved Secret Empire and both Cap books that led up to this. Spencer's whole point seemed to be "enough of this hero vs hero crap. Fix it now before it's too late". Seemed directly pointed at Marvel. I think they are about to right the ship.
    The hero vs. hero crap was done already, Bendis and Spencer brought it back for Civil War 2 and Secret Empire