Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotJA View Post
    I'd be overjoyed if they placed Conan back in 616's prehistory and revisited the old continuity. If I recall, back when Marvel's black and white CONAN THE SAVAGE magazine was cancelled in the 1990s, there were a number of scripts which never saw the light of day. Now that Conan's back at Marvel, perhaps now would be a great opportunity to resurrect those story ideas? One would have seen Conan encounter the Hyborian Age version of Black Panther, that would be cool.

And now Marvel can reprint those WHAT IF stories were Conan met Thor, Captain America, and Wolverine.
    I doubt they'd be allowed to do so. I'd be even more surprised if they'd be willing to do so. It just leads to trouble down the line when you can't reprint Avengers #1479 because Conan was in that and you no longer have that license.

Extraordinary Member

Not expecting a revisit of the Savage Sword of Conan format, as the magazine format is pretty close to dead.

Would like to see a King Conan (or Conan the King) comic along with Conan The Barbarian title.

Have fond memories of Marc Silvestri on that title.

I'd love to see two titles emerge out of this. One an ongoing (maybe by Aaron) that tells one "continuing" story and a second an anthology by a variety of creators telling shorter done in one stories or single issue length stories to get a variety of writers and artists in on the game. I doubt the second will happen as anthologies are a tough sell in this marketplace, but for me Conan always worked better in the short story format than in longer form stories.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I've not read a Marvel comic in like forever. If they bring this back with great creators, I'll take a crack at it.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

So they are bringing in Conan the Barbarian? Sounds interesting.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Will Marvel be getting Red Sonja back as well?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Will Marvel be getting Red Sonja back as well?
    Not likely as Red Sonja LLC is a different company than Paradox (the current owner of the REH estate).

Of course Marvel won't be the only company publishing Conan in the upcoming years, as in France, the rights are in public domain (since 2006 70 years after REH's death) and according to Bleeding Cool, Glenat (who produced some amazing Elric adaptations for the French market later done in English translation by Titan)) is going to produce French language comic adaptations of the Howard stories beginning in 2018 with Black Colossus. The preview art on these looks amazing, unfortunately they won't be available in the American market, so I may have to prevail on some folks I know with access to the French market to land copies of these.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 01-17-2018 at 09:17 PM.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Not likely as Red Sonja LLC is a different company than Paradox (the current owner of the REH estate).

Of course Marvel won't be the only company publishing Conan in the upcoming years, as in France, the rights are in public domain (since 2006 70 years after REH's death) and according to Bleeding Cool, Glenat (who produced some amazing Elric adaptations for the French market later done in English translation by Titan)) is going to produce French language comic adaptations of the Howard stories beginning in 2018 with Black Colossus. The preview art on these looks amazing, unfortunately they won't be available in the American market, so I may have to prevail on some folks I know with access to the French market to land copies of these.

-M
    I was thinking she was a separate company but wasn't sure. Thank you.

Astonishing Member

What are people thoughts about Conan continuity?
    Should the stories start with a new continuity or be a continuation of the previous Marvel stories of Conan?
    I am hoping to that the previous stories of Conan remain in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    What are people thoughts about Conan continuity?
    Should the stories start with a new continuity or be a continuation of the previous Marvel stories of Conan?
    I am hoping to that the previous stories of Conan remain in continuity.
    My attitude reverts back to Howard's. He always saw the Conan stories as yarns told 'round the campfire, that can be told in any order and details may vary in the telling, which is how he spoke of them to his fellow writers in his correspondence circle. While he was flattered by fan efforts to establish a life continuity for his creation, such things were secondary to just telling a good story. So, as in all things Conan for me, I turn to Howard to point the way and could care less about continuity as long as the new stuff tells good stories or are good adaptations of existing Howard stories.

-M

I agree with MRP, in fact I'd advocate for mini-series over an ongoing series. Or an ongoing with basically stand-alone stories, similar to the Legends of the Dark Knight series back in the 90s.

Although, a complete reboot would allow for new adaptations of Howard stories. I mean, we already have three different versions of The Tower of the Elephant, but I could certainly do with a well-done fourth.

But, for some reason, I just don't want the new comics to be part of the Marvel Universe.

I wouldn't Marvel doing new takes on the Howard books in mini-series form and come up a new ongoing with new stories. Maybe it could take place after all these stories are over.

BTW, how about doing a comic taking place where the last Marvel story ended?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    My attitude reverts back to Howard's. He always saw the Conan stories as yarns told 'round the campfire, that can be told in any order and details may vary in the telling, which is how he spoke of them to his fellow writers in his correspondence circle. While he was flattered by fan efforts to establish a life continuity for his creation, such things were secondary to just telling a good story. So, as in all things Conan for me, I turn to Howard to point the way and could care less about continuity as long as the new stuff tells good stories or are good adaptations of existing Howard stories.

-M
    Conan stories can be as you told.
    In fact one of the best characters at Marvel to tell new and good stories without the previous continuity is Conan because the stories are set in the past.
    I prefer if the previous stories were in continuity but the continuity being forgotten and just brand new good stories being made without regards of previous Marvel stories of Conan is all right with me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    I agree with MRP, in fact I'd advocate for mini-series over an ongoing series. Or an ongoing with basically stand-alone stories, similar to the Legends of the Dark Knight series back in the 90s.

Although, a complete reboot would allow for new adaptations of Howard stories. I mean, we already have three different versions of The Tower of the Elephant, but I could certainly do with a well-done fourth.

But, for some reason, I just don't want the new comics to be part of the Marvel Universe.
    Na ongoing with stand alone stories would be cool.
    New adaptations of Howard stories would be interesting as well.
    Humm,it seems that be it with the previous continuity being in the stories or a complete reboot the new stories of Conan are in both cases something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I wouldn't Marvel doing new takes on the Howard books in mini-series form and come up a new ongoing with new stories. Maybe it could take place after all these stories are over.

BTW, how about doing a comic taking place where the last Marvel story ended?
    Have that not be done with the stories of King Conan ?
    King Conan stories were the stories that were the last chronological published by Marvel,so would that not limit the stories possibilites to much?

i guess marvel is deliberately keeping this under wraps, but I'm surprised no new announcements have been made.

they need to reintroduce Conan in a big way with top notch artists and a separate Max-themed title which is more mature.

this is too bad. dark horse comics i feel did a much better job than marvel ever did. long live reh's original first "super hero" /at least in my eyes as a young boy/.