Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

How likely is it that we'll see Conan join the Epic collection line?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...n-comics-2019/

In a recent podcast, Ralph Macchio said Marvel will be launching three ongoing Conan titles in 2019, each focused on a different era of Conan's career.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post

In a recent podcast, Ralph Macchio said Marvel will be launching three ongoing Conan titles in 2019, each focused on a different era of Conan's career.

-M
    Just when i thought i was buying to many comic books, it seems with that news that in 2019 i will be collecting even more.
    But this makes sense,when Marvel started publishing Conan stories way back there were three Conan ongoing comic books.
    Anyways this will be just make the Conan stories to be more diverse,if there was just only one new Conan ongoing comic book it would be a case that if i did not liked the creative team or stories i would not collect it, with three ongoings more options to collect great Conan stories.
    Besides the new ongoing comic books i am hoping to know how will Marvel reprint the older Marvel stories of Conan as the Savage Sword of Conan because i can´t find the Dark Horse Comics TPB´S at a reasonable prices or even to be available for sale.

BANNED

-M
    Screw that. I don't want to have to follow three separate Conan comics, so there being three means I'll end up getting none. Stupid greedy Marvel.

While I am interested in this project I can’t help wonder at the craziness of the fact that Conan can still be considered a licensed property in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Just when i thought i was buying to many comic books, it seems with that news that in 2019 i will be collecting even more.
    But this makes sense,when Marvel started publishing Conan stories way back there were three Conan ongoing comic books.
    Anyways this will be just make the Conan stories to be more diverse,if there was just only one new Conan ongoing comic book it would be a case that if i did not liked the creative team or stories i would not collect it, with three ongoings more options to collect great Conan stories.
    Besides the new ongoing comic books i am hoping to know how will Marvel reprint the older Marvel stories of Conan as the Savage Sword of Conan because i can´t find the Dark Horse Comics TPB´S at a reasonable prices or even to be available for sale.

Aaron has been linked to the Conan books. And Macchio mentioned conversation about having Roy Thomas return. If so, I hope that Marvel revived the Thomas/Grindberg Conan project that was in the works that Dark horse canned. Grindberg's art previews of Conan looked amazing.

My best guess (and it's pure speculation and wishful thinking not fact based) is that the three might look like this:

Conan the Barbarian-flagship book by Aaron set at peak of Conan's career
    Conan the King-set in Conan's time as king of Aquilonia, with more political intrigue a la Sword of the Phoenix cum Game of Thrones style plotting and adventure
    Savage Sword of Conan telling 6 issue arcs of Conan stories from throughout his career by rotating creative teams, maybe leading off with a Roy Thomas story (sadly in comic format not magazine sized as the mag format is pretty much dead right now)

If that were the case, I would be on board. Of course I am still hoping Marvel/Disney works out a deal with Glenat to do the American distribution/English translation of those Glenat Conan comics form France a sthey look amazing but won't otherwise see American distribution because of our copyright laws.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Screw that. I don't want to have to follow three separate Conan comics, so there being three means I'll end up getting none. Stupid greedy Marvel.
    Um, or you could just get one book.

Just because there's three titles it doesn't mean they'll be interconnected to the point where you have to get all three to get the whole story.

I don't see myself getting all three titles myself - at least not on a monthly basis - but I'm certainly interested in following at least one regularly and seeing as it's a fairly big deal for Marvel to get the Conan licence back, it's not surprising that they'd want to have a few titles out there.

I also hope that this will mean they can start doing Conan Epic collections.

BANNED

Kurt Busiek's Conan run over at Dark Horse will be hard to top, but Jason Aaron just might be the guy to do it.

I do hope they get good artists for this. Esad Ribic perhaps?

I hope all new stories are created and it's not simply new adaptations of the old Howard novels/novellas. Push it in new directions, create all new characters, good bad and neutral.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope all new stories are created and it's not simply new adaptations of the old Howard novels/novellas. Push it in new directions, create all new characters, good bad and neutral.
    I suppose that depends on what they're allowed to do with it by the people that own Conan.

Mighty Member

Aaron has been linked to the Conan books. And Macchio mentioned conversation about having Roy Thomas return. If so, I hope that Marvel revived the Thomas/Grindberg Conan project that was in the works that Dark horse canned. Grindberg's art previews of Conan looked amazing.

My best guess (and it's pure speculation and wishful thinking not fact based) is that the three might look like this:

Conan the King-set in Conan's time as king of Aquilonia, with more political intrigue a la Sword of the Phoenix cum Game of Thrones style plotting and adventure
    Savage Sword of Conan telling 6 issue arcs of Conan stories from throughout his career by rotating creative teams, maybe leading off with a Roy Thomas story (sadly in comic format not magazine sized as the mag format is pretty much dead right now)

If that were the case, I would be on board. Of course I am still hoping Marvel/Disney works out a deal with Glenat to do the American distribution/English translation of those Glenat Conan comics form France a sthey look amazing but won't otherwise see American distribution because of our copyright laws.

-M
    I think it's a given that one of the books will star King Conan and be marketed as being kin to Game of Thrones. While it's not the most original idea, I'm super into the idea of large scale, nation against nation stories. It's not something that got explored much in the novels and I love the idea of developing the nations beyond generalities. I would like the leaders of other nations to become long term characters. And while it's the most predictable story it would be almost un-Conan if one of the stories didn't involve Conan bedding a supple, lithe young princess, leading to war. Throw in an evil wizard and bam, King Conan Vol. 1.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

It says each book will focus on a different aspect of Conan's life. I'm sure in grand Marvel tradition they will do a crossover, perhaps with some foe that spans his whole life. However, if you want young Conan, Conan in Prime or an older say King Conan you could pick the era you like best or has the creative team you prefer.

Marvel has various Spider-man books, you don't have to get them all.
    Marvel has various X-Men books, you don't have to get them all.
    etc, etc, etc.

Since when did choices and options become a bad thing? Odd.

Your reaction is full of hyperbole.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Marvel published multiple Conan title almost the entire time they had the license. The original title started in 1970. Then the B&W magazine Savage Tales premiered in 1971 before being replaced by Savage Sword of Conan in 1974. King Conan/Conan the King, featuring an older Conan ruling a kingdom and raising his son started in 1980. From 1980-1989, there were 3 Conan titles being published. King ended in 1989, but there was a main Conan title and B&W magazine published until 1996 when Marvel dropped the license. Marvel also published Annuals, various graphic novels, and even a Handbook while they had the license.

In addition to this, Dark Horse published multiple concurrent titles when they had the license. DH had a main series from 2003-2017, King Conan ran from 2011-2016, and various mini/one shots/crossovers from 2004-2018.

It seems strange to have multiple titles as a dealbreaker, when this has been the norm for Conan comics since the 70s.

conan has been forever my favorite 'non super hero' character of all time.
    i have collected all the marvel books, dh books, weird tales magazines, and about anything else you can think of regarding conan.
    i am glad he is getting a fresh start at marvel, but it is going to be hard to top the recent early issues of dh; they did a really great job in my opinion.
    as a "son of crom" i cannot wait for conan to come back, if they made another black and white magazine i would jump for joy, but i will settle for any conan now and forever.

Astonishing Member

-M
    My guess to how will be the new comics is similiar to that as well.
    I think they will make the Conan comics a were in the 70s,If it is Roy Thomas writing one of the comics books that would be awesome,and Aaron is another good choice to be witing Conan as well.
    The French stories of Conan do look interesting indeed,but i am equally looking forward new Conan stories by Marvel as well.