Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Latest from Bleeding Cool is that there will be a Conan omnibus of the original Marvel series in 2019.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...-omnibus-2019/

Pre-ordered the omnibus. Most expensive comic acquisition I've ever made, which makes me a bit nervous, but the temptation was too great. And I still have some time to put money aside till January.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Pre-ordered the omnibus. Most expensive comic acquisition I've ever made, which makes me a bit nervous, but the temptation was too great. And I still have some time to put money aside till January.
    Get it from Instocktrades.com the week it comes out and it'll be $50usd which should just get you free shipping.
    Placing $10 from each months paycheck aside till then shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: I now see you are in Germany. IST doesn't ship free international. Maybe Speedy Hen or someone will still have a good deal though.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    What are people thoughts about Conan continuity?
    Should the stories start with a new continuity or be a continuation of the previous Marvel stories of Conan?
    I am hoping to that the previous stories of Conan remain in continuity.
    I think Dark Horse did a pretty great job of adapting Howard's chronology, specially in the early years with Busiek, Mignola and Truman. - Thomas' run as forgettable and Wood's run was a low mark unfortunately.

Ive been wondering if Van Lente's and Bunn's runs are worth reading, I dropped and lapsed while they were published - can anyone share opinions about those runs?

Re what I want of this relaunch, I'd like to read something new yet character consistent for this new run for Conan at Marvel.

I have never read the original comics Marvel published so I would prefer original stories set in the period after Howard's "early years" up until he becomes King of Aquilonia.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...n-comics-2019/

In a recent podcast, Ralph Macchio said Marvel will be launching three ongoing Conan titles in 2019, each focused on a different era of Conan's career.

-M
    Oh man! Its like they did with Star Wars all over again!

I'll wait and see what each book is about and take it from there, if they retell the Howard chronology I'll ignore it and look for the original stories I posted I want earlier.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

I'll repeat what I posted on a different message board, "DAMNIT! I was three volumes away from completing the Savage Sword collection by Dark Horse...and now it's going back to Marvel."

Now -- we have an omnibus on the way...which I may not get. (One of the few who didn't have a vile hatred to the recolored "Chronicles" sets.)
    I do see either Savage Sword or King Conan getting an Epic line someday...who knows what kind of extras they'll put in there.
    It'll be bombarded on Marvel Unlimited...

Oh well...I have time to save for a double-dip fund.

Thankfully I have all the actual original issues of Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan from 1970 to 1981 (I have all of the original Roy Thomas run). Count me in the group that can't stand the terribly done recoloring.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    Thankfully I have all the actual original issues of Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan from 1970 to 1981 (I have all of the original Roy Thomas run). Count me in the group that can't stand the terribly done recoloring.
    I have those as well. SSOC is one of my most treasured collections.

Astonishing Member

I hear ya.
    I bought recently the two first Amazing Spider-Man Omnibuses and they were as well by far my most expensive comic acquisitions.But the contente of the Omnibuses makes it up for the price imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt of Rivia View Post
    I think Dark Horse did a pretty great job of adapting Howard's chronology, specially in the early years with Busiek, Mignola and Truman. - Thomas' run as forgettable and Wood's run was a low mark unfortunately.

Ive been wondering if Van Lente's and Bunn's runs are worth reading, I dropped and lapsed while they were published - can anyone share opinions about those runs?

Re what I want of this relaunch, I'd like to read something new yet character consistent for this new run for Conan at Marvel.

I have never read the original comics Marvel published so I would prefer original stories set in the period after Howard's "early years" up until he becomes King of Aquilonia.
    I did not read many Conan stories by Marvel,but the few stories i read from the Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan comics were quite cool.Thus why i will be collecting the new prints of those classic stories.

I'll probably pass on the omnibus (I already have complete runs of the original CTB series, Savage Tales, SSOC, King Conan, Conan the Adventurer, Conan the Savage, and Conan, I do need a couple of the Conan OGNs Marvel did and a few of the minis they did after the Conan 9 issue ongoing was cancelled, and have most of the early DH stuff up through Cimmerian) and sold off the DH collections I had (except for the 2 volume HC Barry Windsor Smith Archives), but I am glad they are doing them. If they follow up the omni with Epic editions in SC I may bite though, I just don't like the omnibus format for reading, I have a few and they are unwieldy to read. I will wait to see how they are colored though. I didn't hate the DH recoloring, but I preferred the original colors especially the early issues done by BWS himself.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Age of Conan and Savage Sword of Conan announced.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...-sword-age-of/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Great news! Sign this barbarian up for all 3!
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Astonishing Member

Looking forward to know the creative teams of the other two new Conan comic books.

Age of Conan sounds like it might be more of a spin-off title, being set in the Hyborean Age while not actually starring Conan. Could be the book to adapt (and finish) Wolves Beyond the Border, as well as telling stories around the events described in REH's Hyborean Age essay.

Savage Sword better be the b&w magazine format title it's supposed to be, of I'll cry bloody murder. But if it will be that, it's the book I'm looking forward to the most. And I'd probably go bonkers with excitement if they got Mark Schultz to do some work for it.

Age of Conan sounds like it might be more of a spin-off title, being set in the Hyborean Age while not actually starring Conan. Could be the book to adapt (and finish) Wolves Beyond the Border, as well as telling stories around the events described in REH's Hyborean Age essay.

Savage Sword better be the b&w magazine format title it's supposed to be, of I'll cry bloody murder. But if it will be that, it's the book I'm looking forward to the most. And I'd probably go bonkers with excitement if they got Mark Schultz to do some work for it.
    As much as I would like to see SSOC be a b&w magazine format, I just don't see that format succeeding in today's market. For one, there's no magazine stands for it to stand out in away form the regular comics and there is no longer the restrictions of the Comics Code to escape from that made the magazine format a necessity. So the elements that made it necessary and successful are no longer present to give an impetus towards that format, and the current display market (i.e. comic shops & digital) are ill-suited to handle a book in that format. Even Dark Horse's attempt at Savage Sword was not a magazine but a prestige format book (and Dynamite's Savage Tales was in comic format). I remember several of the local shops bemoaning the magazine format first issues that Rucka did with Black Magick and that Brubaker did with some of the Criminal specials talking about how it didn't fit in their display racks and had a higher percentage of damaged copies because it didn't fit as well into the boxes Diamond used to ship books, and that not many customers wanted that format so it wasn't worth having all the extra hassle to carry it. Personally I love the larger format that gives the art room to breathe, but I am welll aware I am in the minority on this. I would be very happy to be wrong, but I will be very surprised if this is in magazine format.

What I'd expect a new Savage Sword to be is a book that is a semi-anthology with creative teams rotating in and out by arc telling stories from different era of Conan's career.

Not sure what Age of Conan will be, but perhaps telling other stories of the Hyborian Age, maybe doing things like telling stories of Belit before she met Conan, or telling tales of Valeria when she wasn't adventuring with Conan, stories about Thoth Amon, etc. or it could be something completely different. We'll have to wait and see.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato