Default Trinity #17 preview “No Home for you Here” part one!

Batman and Superman embarked on a quest to help Wonder Woman rediscover Themyscira, but finding Diana’s lost homeland proves more difficult than these three heroes expected. While on their journey, a distress call from a nearby ship turns out to be more than meets the eye, and the Trinity find themselves marooned on the dread island of Skartaris. To make their way back home, our heroes will have to overcome Deimos, who will stop at nothing to seal off Skartaris from the rest of world forever!

Written by: James Robinson
    Art by: Patrick Zircher
    Cover by: Patrick Zircher
    Variant cover by: Bill Sienkiewicz

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm not really interested in the world of Diana, but that's a pretty minor quibble. I'm behind on the issues but this looks like a decent reason to catch up.

See, this I still don't get. Why does the mere presence of magic make Superman weak and scared? The preview is good otherwise but this still bothers me. The in general-ness of the weakness is lame. Cast a spell that specifically is made to remove powers? Okay. I don't want him immune, I'd have no problem with that and it'd make sense (but that's unlikely to be the case here as Wonder Woman's powers are fine entering the vortex). But just invoking the word magic and suddenly Superman can't do anything is just a poor crutch to me. When it comes to Superman's vulnerability to it, there's never any context as to the spells being used. Its treated like a general field unto itself that Superman can't get in general proximity of, and not only does that make no sense, it's also what Kryptonite is for.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

A writer who is working with Superman is always objectively right when they think "lets have him punch dinosaurs for an issue." There is never a situation where that notion is a mistake, and if by some ungodly dark talent James Robinson is the guy to make that somehow suck? Well, it's not for me to judge a man's soul.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    See, this I still don't get. Why does the mere presence of magic make Superman weak and scared? The preview is good otherwise but this still bothers me. The in general-ness of the weakness is lame. Cast a spell that specifically is made to remove powers? Okay. I don't want him immune, I'd have no problem with that and it'd make sense (but that's unlikely to be the case here as Wonder Woman's powers are fine entering the vortex). But just invoking the word magic and suddenly Superman can't do anything is just a poor crutch to me. When it comes to Superman's vulnerability to it, there's never any context as to the spells being used. Its treated like a general field unto itself that Superman can't get in general proximity of, and not only does that make no sense, it's also what Kryptonite is for.
    I didn't get the sense of fear here.

Superman was just beginning to feel the magic in the storm he was trying to hold back and was trying to warn Diana because he didn't think he could keep holding it because it was beginning to effect him.

I was just being a bit colorful there with the scared comment based on his "Woah Nelly!" face there (RIP Keith Jackson). But it does look like he's weakening immediately. He's got a tenuous grasp on the ship all of the sudden and he's concerned he can't hold it (at least that's likely what he was saying before he cuts off). I just don't see the correlation in magical portal = power loss. Guy who MADE said portal then directing a spell at Superman designed to weaken him, that stuff I'd have no problem with. I don't want to make it seem like I just get mad whenever Superman has a problem.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Looks interesting!

Funny, I don't see this (so far) as Superman scared and weak - he can feel it in the air and is telling Diana that the magic nature might mean he can't fight the storm as well as he normally could. The next panel might say differently, but so far it looks like a "Superman affected by magic as anyone would be" and not specifically a weakness.

However, if Diana's next line after "I couldn't tell by looking at him, but.." is "I knew he was scared" or something.... then yep - totally with you.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Love Zircher's art here, a monthly schedule suits his work output perfectly. I've missed Zircher drawing Superman and him drawing all the Trinity together is stunning. But I remember not being too impressed by Robinson's Superman run so I probably won't pick Trinity up again despite Zircher's art. Haven't done so since the first arc.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

I was just being a bit colorful there with the scared comment based on his "Woah Nelly!" face there (RIP Keith Jackson). But it does look like he's weakening immediately. He's got a tenuous grasp on the ship all of the sudden and he's concerned he can't hold it (at least that's likely what he was saying before he cuts off). I just don't see the correlation in magical portal = power loss. Guy who MADE said portal then directing a spell at Superman designed to weaken him, that stuff I'd have no problem with. I don't want to make it seem like I just get mad whenever Superman has a problem.
    I saw it as the force pulling things into the portal was magical in nature, so Superman is struggling to fight against that force and push the ship and himself out. Just my interpretation though, hope it helps.