Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Princess Leia in Episode IX

Spoilers for those who haven't seen TLJ. (But if you haven't seen it why are you here? Go and see it).

After the sad passing away of Carrie Fisher it was always clear that The Last Jedi would be her last role as Princess/General Leia. The film ends with her alive. The last of the trio from the original trilogy. An odd situation when others are dead but the respective actors can return.

But the film hints that there could be a larger role for Leia in the next film. Each film till now had a larger focus on one character. Say The Force Awakens was of Han Solo. The Last Jedi could be said of Luke Skywalker. The next film might have been like that for Leia. Kylo's not killing her could have seen a big payoff.

But now it looks like the plans would be altered. What do the fans want? What do the fans think is best way to respect her?

Personally, i think it is best to recast her role. To say something like she died in between the films would be of a bad taste in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Spoilers for those who haven't seen TLJ. (But if you haven't seen it why are you here? Go and see it).

After the sad passing away of Carrie Fisher it was always clear that The Last Jedi would be her last role as Princess/General Leia. The film ends with her alive. The last of the trio from the original trilogy. An odd situation when others are dead but the respective actors can return.

But the film hints that there could be a larger role for Leia in the next film. Each film till now had a larger focus on one character. Say The Force Awakens was of Han Solo. The Last Jedi could be said of Luke Skywalker. The next film might have been like that for Leia. Kylo's not killing her could have seen a big payoff.

But now it looks like the plans would be altered. What do the fans want? What do the fans think is best way to respect her?

Personally, i think it is best to recast her role. To say something like she died in between the films would be of a bad taste in my opinion.
    As I understand it, that was indeed the intent.

Disney/LucasFilm have gone on record that they will not recast Leia, either with a different actress or doing the CGI recreation like they did in Rogue One. So, the character will have to be written out. While I kinda wish that they would've gone with the recreation idea, under the circumstances, I think that having her pass away between the movies is the best call.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

I don't want her to die between films. I would be alright with a Tarkin situation but I don't want it to have excessive use cause it may look weirder cause she has only "recently" died. Perhaps she is used sparingly and with a voice double if she has to be in this movie. Regardless I feel her role will be severely diminished due to Carrie Fisher's unfortunate passing. I'm sure she'll be mentioned and seen in Episode 9 but I can't imagine her playing much a role due to Carrie actually being dead, or what the estate finds appropriate usage of her likeness.

In a simple world she may not be used at all.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

They could just do it "Trail of the Pink Panther" style and edit together a bunch of unused footage and stand ins.

I guess they could focus more on Ghost Luke or Poe since (from what I read online) Leia helped raise him in the books? Make the film more about her legacy than on whatever role she was meant to actually play in the film itself. I'd also like to see them give her actual daughter (Billie Lourd) a larger part in the story. It was intriguing to see her side with Poe during the mutiny.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I don't want Leia to die between films either. It's just not a satisfactory end for the character and I like the idea that Carrie lives on through Leia.

My idea is they have a scene in the beginning where Rey, Poe and Finn are preparing for a mission. Leia sends a voice-only message from the command center telling them goodbye and good luck (from edited together from archive footage) and Rey says a farewell message. I'd do at least one year time jump and in that time, Leia has been sort of the mom/general to Rey, Poe and Finn and mentoring/parenting them to be the next generation of Rebels. This scene would be both a send-off for Carrie and a hand-off to the new generation.

To have Leia play a big role in 9 was actually intended as the OP says.

Directly from Kathleen Kennedy:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/14/kath...-fisher-death/

I think that while they could've written out Leia in the film when the Raddus's bridge is destroyed and replaced her entirely with Holdo for the rest of the film, it would've meant losing much of her performance (including her scene with Mark), probably a lot of reshoots....etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    They could just do it "Trail of the Pink Panther" style and edit together a bunch of unused footage and stand ins.

I guess they could focus more on Ghost Luke or Poe since (from what I read online) Leia helped raise him in the books? Make the film more about her legacy than on whatever role she was meant to actually play in the film itself. I'd also like to see them give her actual daughter (Billie Lourd) a larger part in the story. It was intriguing to see her side with Poe during the mutiny.
    She didn't.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

While Leia certainly worked with Poe's mother, yeah, I don't recall any helping in raising. He had an "uncle" of sorts with L'ulo L'ampar (one of those green Cantina alien guys who kind of look like the Trade Federation guys) who appears in the comics, though (and apparentally was one of the two A-wings that brought down the Executor's shield dome in ROTJ).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think we'll see Poe step into the role of leader of the Resistance while there will be several mentions of Leia doing something with the Republic's government offscreen. In such a scenario, we will see Poe take a journey from hotshot pilot to a capable general (we saw him moving in that direction in Episode VIII, IMO).
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I think we'll see Poe step into the role of leader of the Resistance while there will be several mentions of Leia doing something with the Republic's government offscreen. In such a scenario, we will see Poe take a journey from hotshot pilot to a capable general (we saw him moving in that direction in Episode VIII, IMO).
    Will Poe wear Lando's cape from RETURN OF THE JEDI?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I still would do it in a scene reminiscent of the destruction of Alderaan. A key location is destroyed, we know Leia is there, we just don't see anyone perish. Just the location. And we know Leia is gone. Just like Bail Organa.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I still would do it in a scene reminiscent of the destruction of Alderaan. A key location is destroyed, we know Leia is there, we just don't see anyone perish. Just the location. And we know Leia is gone. Just like Bail Organa.
    That might work.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    While Leia certainly worked with Poe's mother, yeah, I don't recall any helping in raising.
    See I didn't read the books but someone was defending the "slapping" scene by explaining Leia basically watched Poe grow up. That there was a lot of familiarity there. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing a Rebel leader would do to another Rebel officer otherwise. But I guess according to you guys that's not the case? It was rather cringy imo.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I'd say use any unused footage available that you can use to end her story. If there's any that works. If not, have her die peacefully off screen between films, and maybe open with her funeral.

You can't recast that role. That would be worse than GCI Leia the whole movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'd say use any unused footage available that you can use to end her story. If there's any that works. If not, have her die peacefully off screen between films, and maybe open with her funeral.

You can't recast that role. That would be worse than GCI Leia the whole movie.

But why?

CGI Leia would be disrespectful. But recasting is not. There is precedence. After the unfortunate death of Richard Harris, Michael Gambon stepped in as Dumbledore. What she could not complete, someone else could step in to complete. Its like saying don't worry Carrie. We will see to it that your hard work is not wasted. We will carry your story to the finish line.