Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I'm not sure that Jean acquired Betsy's telepathic power added to her own or just acquired Betsy's specialized telepathic abilities--shadow form and being able to create a physical manifestation of her psychic power, in Jean's case the raptor rather than Betsy's psychic knife.

The power switch was most explicitly mentioned in X-Men Black Sun. Jean says she lost her telekinetic power to Betsy and gained Betsy's specialized telepathic abilities including her psychic affinity for shadows.

However, later the power switch would be ignored and effectively retconned anyways. In some X-Men and early X-Treme issues, Claremont refers to Betsy's telekinetic ability as her nascent power as if it was her own emerging power. At first she has heavy lifting TK, but not the fine motor control that Jean was known for. Jean's telekinesis naturally returns in New X-Men #114. During Reload, Rachel somehow had the shadow astral form that Jean had received from Betsy.

After Betsy dies, she is later recreated/reborn by Jamie. Now her TK is even stronger and she has fine motor control as well. After being put briefly in her original body in the Sisterhood story, Betsy regained her telepathic abilities. Then some writers weakened her TK or tried to act like she could only use TP or TK at a time. Now she is a very powerful TP and TK but heavily relies on psychic weapons.

Does anyone say that Betsy's TK feats from Revolution and X-Treme don't count because originally her TK came from Jean? Does anyone say that Rachel had Betsy's TP added to her own during Reload because she had the specialized abilities that Jean acquired from Betsy during this time? Since Rachel had the Phoenix-Eye-Tattoo and fiery effects during Reload does that mean that her powers were boosted by the Phoenix Force?

It seems to me that whatever happened between Jean, Betsy, and the Shadow King---it shut down Jean's TK and caused Betsy to learn how to use TK and Jean how to perform the specialized abilities that Betsy could do. Later, Jean's TK returned and Betsy's TP returned. There was never a story where Jean got her TK back from Betsy or Betsy getting TP back from Jean. It was never explained how Rachel got the shadow form. However, when she lost the Blue Phoenix echo, the shadow and Phoenix Eye Tattoo left with it.
    Thanks for this! I knew this was stated about Revolution Jean in canon as well. Here is the scan of that:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/NxJN7QKbplM...jICFr8rQ=s1600

That said, I still want to point out how even with the power of Psylocke added to her own telepathy, Emma still displayed higher power levels. I showed that with Emma having a much more powerful mindblast (Emma could affect the physical realm with her mindblasts by destroying buildings and manifesting physical attacks strong enough to knock Monet, who has a high level of invulnerability, unconscious...not to mention Emma could literally tears brains apart with her mindblasts while the sum psychic energy of Revolution Jean, who had Betsy's TP added to her own, could only scratch the brains of her vicitims).

On top of this, Jean, with the power of Besty added to her own, could not break through the TP blocking tech in a Russian government building while Emma was literally ripping through DOZENS of TP blocking tech designed by the Dark Beast. On top of it all, I think its pretty obvious that the Dark Beast would be able to develop better psi-blocking tech than the Russian government.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-14-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post

That telepathic bolt of Emmas blew up Frost Industries
    Maybe, maybe not.

That explosion could be Phoenix reacting to Emma's attack.

I'm cool with it either way.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jean Grey is a sorry telepath unless she has Cerebro boosting her powers, or the Phoenix Force, or Psylocke's TP powers added to her own. Left to her own power unaided, Jean is far Far FAR below Emma.

Astonishing Member

That is something that has been left behind. As in, you can find in early Claremont Xavier destroying a Sentinel with a mind blast, and in the Stan Lee run Xaviers mind bolts were like energy beams that affected matter, he could use them to avoid getting hit by a steel beam thrown at him on his wheelchair.

Later a kind of consensus stopped giving telepaths the ability to affect matter in order to make them less overpowered.

I think the problem of this thread is people trying to make sense of contradictory continuity often taken from bad runs by writers who ignore continuity. Like Bendis.
    In the Bendis run you have the cockoos using telepathy in diamond form, and one of them threw a bowl on teen I demand head with telekinesis. I think that is just Bendis being Bendis, not the girls getting new powers.

In Hickmans New Avengers when the servants of Thznos attack the Jean Grey school, it was defended by Wolverine, Rachel, Iceman and Storm.
    They confirm Iceman is the only Omega mutant of that group, iirc they refer to Iceman as Omega mutate and the only serious threat, to Storm as elemental and to Wolverine as eternal man.

In the 90s Jean was clearly an Alpha level mutant, and her "offspring" with Scott like xman/stryfe/cable were the omega ones, though Cable was very merged by the virus.

In a way Jean has gotten much stronger while being dead thanks to Morrison, and the ones who got most hurt by that were her offspring, like Rachel or Xman. Now the plot of Sinister trying to create a super baby no longer makes sense.
    If Jean is so strong he should simply have used M Pryor to kill Apocalypse.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    That is something that has been left behind. As in, you can find in early Claremont Xavier destroying a Sentinel with a mind blast, and in the Stan Lee run Xaviers mind bolts were like energy beams that affected matter, he could use them to avoid getting hit by a steel beam thrown at him on his wheelchair.

Later a kind of consensus stopped giving telepaths the ability to affect matter in order to make them less overpowered.

I think the problem of this thread is people trying to make sense of contradictory continuity often taken from bad runs by writers who ignore continuity. Like Bendis.
    In the Bendis run you have the cockoos using telepathy in diamond form, and one of them threw a bowl on teen I demand head with telekinesis. I think that is just Bendis being Bendis, not the girls getting new powers.

In Hickmans New Avengers when the servants of Thznos attack the Jean Grey school, it was defended by Wolverine, Rachel, Iceman and Storm.
    They confirm Iceman is the only Omega mutant of that group, iirc they refer to Iceman as Omega mutate and the only serious threat, to Storm as elemental and to Wolverine as eternal man.

In the 90s Jean was clearly an Alpha level mutant, and her "offspring" with Scott like xman/stryfe/cable were the omega ones, though Cable was very merged by the virus.

In a way Jean has gotten much stronger while being dead thanks to Morrison, and the ones who got most hurt by that were her offspring, like Rachel or Xman. Now the plot of Sinister trying to create a super baby no longer makes sense.
    1) In the 90s, though, Emma was able to hit Monet physically with her psychic powers by channeling all of the ambient psionic energy in the area into a psionic "lightning" bolt. The attack was so strong that Monet was knocked unconscious by the force of it. Keep in mind that Monet is EXTREMELY hard to hurt on the account of her being nigh-invulnerable. So, Emma was still able to harness her power for physical effects. Jean, with the power of Psylocke's TP added to her own, was defeated by an animated metal chair.

2) In the 2000s, Jean's powers were boosted either with the addition of Psylocke's powers to her own (Revolution Jean) or by the Phoenix Force possession (most of the Morrison run).

3) If Jean has gotten stronger while being dead its because she is in the White Hot Room and is connected to the PF in there. It also looks like she is going to retain at least a portion of her Phoenix powers when she comes back judging from all the fiery Phoenixy-stuff she's been manifesting in the preview artwork.

4) Even if you take into account Revolution Jean (who had Betsy's TP powers added to her own), 80s/90s Emma was still more impressive.

5) Taking everything into account, it seems very fanboyish to say that Jean Grey without the PF or Cerebro or some other external enhancer is equal to or more powerful than Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jean Grey is a sorry telepath unless she has Cerebro boosting her powers, or the Phoenix Force, or Psylocke's TP powers added to her own. Left to her own power unaided, Jean is far Far FAR below Emma.
    Well, that's not true at all, sorry.

Anyway, while Jean is a strong telepath, her tk abilities have always been at the forefront of her powers in combat (partially because Xavier was afraid of her fully accessing her powers). Thus, we have become more accustomed to her using her power that way. Meanwhile, Emma Frost has been shown mostly as having primarily telepathic abilities, which is why we have become more accustomed to her using telepathy. It's one of the reasons she was given the "diamond" form. She needed something more.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post

British Betsy's psycho-blast could also effect the physical world.

For the most part, Jean didn't need for her telepathic blasts to effect the physical world, because she was also telekinetic.

I would argue that Mr. Sinister should have been interested in Jean to begin with. It didn't make sense for them to have Jean's children be extra-super-powerful and for Scott's genes to supercharge their Grey DNA since Jean was the first super powered telepath/telekinetic to begin with as Phoenix. She was the first psychic X-Man to be said to have unlimited and god-like potential. The retcon didn't change the fact it was established that Moira and Xavier always knew Jean had the type of potential that was displayed by Phoenix. Even in X-Factor, Apocalypse said Jean had a spark in her that could grow to consume all (in Fall of the Mutants) and later mentioned her potential in his Apocalypse Files.

Fabian Nicieza established Jean as an omega mutant in X-Men Forever vol 1 mini and Morrison continued the idea. However, it stems from what was said about Jean's potential during the original Phoenix years and even during X-Factor. During the original X-Men years a robot described Jean as having infinite psychic powers. Her growing powers and potential has long been a part of the character.
    Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 01-14-2018 at 04:05 PM.

BANNED

British Betsy's psycho-blast could also effect the physical world.

For the most part, Jean didn't need for her telepathic blasts to effect the physical world, because she was also telekinetic.

I would argue that Mr. Sinister should have been interested in Jean to begin with. It didn't make sense for them to have Jean's children be extra-super-powerful and for Scott's genes to supercharge their Grey DNA since Jean was the first super powered telepath/telekinetic to begin with as Phoenix. She was the first psychic X-Man to be said to have unlimited and god-like potential. The retcon didn't change the fact it was established that Moira and Xavier always knew Jean had the type of potential that was displayed by Phoenix. Even in X-Factor, Apocalypse said Jean had a spark in her that could grow to consume all (in Fall of the Mutants) and later mentioned her potential in his Apocalypse Files.

Fabian Nicieza established Jean as an omega mutant in X-Men Forever vol 1 mini and Morrison continued the idea. However, it stems from what was said about Jean's potential during the original Phoenix years and even during X-Factor. During the original X-Men years a robot described Jean as having infinite psychic powers. Her growing powers and potential has long been a part of the character.
    The retcon changed everything though. It was no longer about Jean's internal power, but more that she was a suitable host for the Phoenix Force which could consume all.

Originally, the whole Phoenix story was Jean's unlocked full potential. Then, that changed to the Phoenix Force being something that was a non-sentient force of nature that only Jean and her children would be able to tap into. It was their right to tap into this force much akin to King Arthur's right to wield Excalibur. However, that was only the case for a hot minute until Marvel decided to make the Phoenix Force a sentient cosmic abstract entity that only Jean and her children could wield. (Making it a living cosmic abstract entity was the best route for Marvel to take, actually. I mean, how in the world is a mere telepath/telekinetic going to eat a star? Reading minds and moving objects with your thoughts has nothing to do with devouring stars.) Then Excalibur established that there were other characters besides Jean and her progeny who could wield the PF. After this, Morrison came along in New X-Men and increased the number of Phoenix hosts even further. Finally, AvX just practically said, "Forget it, anybody can wield the PF." I think Marvel established that anyone could wield it so that the PF could be used in various stories in the larger MU instead of just restricting it to the X-world and a couple of X-characters.

So, what I am saying is that spark in Jean that Poccy and the others were talking about was all tied to the whole PF thing and her being a genetic fit to wield it. She has never been able to devour a star or wreck a solar system without the PF or even come close to that. Prior to AvX, Jean Grey was scary, but not because of her own innate power levels in the way that many of her fans would like to take it to prop her up, but because she was one of the few beings in all of creation who could serve as host to this entity and her personality was overwhelmed by it the last time when it took her form, personality, and memories.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-14-2018 at 04:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    Well, that's not true at all, sorry.

Anyway, while Jean is a strong telepath, her tk abilities have always been at the forefront of her powers in combat (partially because Xavier was afraid of her fully accessing her powers). Thus, we have become more accustomed to her using her power that way. Meanwhile, Emma Frost has been shown mostly as having primarily telepathic abilities, which is why we have become more accustomed to her using telepathy. It's one of the reasons she was given the "diamond" form. She needed something more.
    It is true what I have said. The only thing people can pull up for Jean to try and prove she is stronger than Emma are feats she either pulled with the Phoenix Force or with Cerebro. Even if you take Jean with Betsy's powers added to hers, Emma tops those feats.

Furthermore, 90s Jean is the best version to go with since she had neither the PF nor Betsy's powers added to her own. Her limits were very well defined in that decade and Emma has feats well beyond those limits BIG TIME.

BANNED

The retcon changed everything though. It was no longer about Jean's internal power, but more that she was a suitable host for the Phoenix Force which could consume all.

Originally, the whole Phoenix story was Jean's unlocked full potential. Then, that changed to the Phoenix Force being something that was a non-sentient force of nature that only Jean and her children would be able to tap into. It was their right to tap into this force much akin to King Arthur's right to wield Excalibur. However, that was only the case for a hot minute until Marvel decided to make the Phoenix Force a sentient cosmic abstract entity that only Jean and her children could wield. (Making it a living cosmic abstract entity was the best route for Marvel to take, actually. I mean, how in the world is a mere telepath/telekinetic going to eat a star? Reading minds and moving objects with your thoughts has nothing to do with devouring stars.) Then Excalibur established that there were other characters besides Jean and her progeny who could wield the PF. After this, Morrison came along in New X-Men and increased the number of Phoenix hosts even further. Finally, AvX just practically said, "Forget it, anybody can wield the PF." I think Marvel established that anyone could wield it so that the PF could be used in various stories in the larger MU instead of just restricting it to the X-world and a couple of X-characters.

So, what I am saying is that spark in Jean that Poccy and the others were talking about was all tied to the whole PF thing and her being a genetic fit to wield it. She has never been able to devour a star or wreck a solar system without the PF or even come close to that. Prior to AvX, Jean Grey was scary, but not because of her own innate power levels in the way that many of her fans would like to take it to prop her up, but because she was one of the few beings in all of creation who could serve as host to this entity and her personality was overwhelmed by it the last time when it took her form, personality, and memories.
    This is also what Morrison was going with. That whole notion about Jean Grey=the Phoenix Force with her own natural powers is something that was done away with as soon as they made the Phoenix Force a non-sentient force of nature she and her kids could tap into to. And was further done away with when they made the PF a sentient cosmic abstract entity. Morrison was playing up on Jean being one of the few people in existence who could wield the PF. Its wishful thinking on the part of the Jean fanbase to try and go by the original presentation of the very first Phoenix story where it was about Jean's own natural power and the Phoenix Force entity did not exist. That hasn't been the case for over nearly 40 years regardless of how they may feel.

If you read through the Morrison run, you will note that Jean always refers to the Phoenix Force as "Phoenix burns away this" and "Phoenix eats stars and planets". Jean never says, "I eat stars and planets," but its "Phoenix" who does those things.

Heck, she didn't tell Emma, "Its just you and me now," she said, "Its you and me and the Phoenix."

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/6Rmi1UMjPPu...b1hyonPR=s1600

This means the Phoenix Force is a separate entity from Jean Grey as was the case because of the retcon. Prior to the retcon, the PF did not exist because it it was all Jean originally.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-14-2018 at 04:52 PM.

During the green mini dress Marvel Girl years, Jean's telepathic feats includes psi-blasting Juggernaut through his helmet hard enough that he thought it was Xavier, reading the minds of the last people who were in a room to discover Havok had been kidnapped, psi-blasting Mesmero, telepathically contacting Beast 3,000 miles away without Cerebro, reading a robot's mind, psi-blasting Hulk and knocking him out, being a psychic funnel for Xavier during the Z'Nox storyline, and accessing a comatose Xavier's mind.

Before she became Phoenix, Jean absorbed flight knowledge from Dr. Corbeau and psi-blasted and knocked out Cyclops.

During the Gold Team years, Jean transferred her mind and tk powers into Emma's body, telepathically shut down MeMe's mind, hit Betsy hard enough to knock her out of the astral plane, and trained Cable in Astral combat against the Phalanx. She suppressed Wolverine's pain after Magneto ripped out his metal. She did some psychometric housecleaning after they fought Bastion in OZT. Jean also astral projected into parallel universes around OZT.

And she searched the world with her telepathy without cerebro, before she started to manifest the Phoenix raptor again. You can't ignore it just because it was right before she manifested a raptor.

I know you don't count Revolution because of the power switch, but she did have powerful psi-blasts that effected the physical world, created very powerful psychic illusions, used a psychic wave to cause everyone in a building to evacuate, and in Black Sun created psychic tendrils and psi-blasted a bunch of alien/demon creatures. She was also able to suppress or boost other mutant's powers.

In Eve of Destruction she created powerful illusions that fooled Magneto. She also mind-controlled Frenzy. In Search for Cyclops, she pulled Apocalypse out of Scott.

Although, Jean began accessing her Phoenix potential in New 120, she didn't use the Phoenix for every feat she did. There were no fire effects when Jean steered 75 people with her mind in Imperial.

Only at the end of her psychic press conference were there some flickers in her hair. Even in New 121, while her hair took the shape of the Phoenix, she didn't manifest a proper phoenix effect.

Her splitting Xavier's consciousness into every mutant mind was impressive even with cerebro and the Phoenix. The Phoenix helped her catch Xavier after he died, but didn't seem to help her hold him in her mind. She struggled a bit until she split him with cerebro. After that she manifested the raptor against Cassandra.

Jean didn't manifest fire effects when she used psychometry and empathy on a dead dog to discover what happened to it and feel its pain in an Unlimited issue. However, she did manifest the fire effects when she made the abusers feel the dog's pain.

Jean may have been accessing her Phoenix potential in New X-Men, but she wasn't reborn as the fully cosmic powered Phoenix until New 148/150. Remember at the start of New 148 she mentions that she could not find the Phoenix anywhere. So she wasn't constantly connected to it throughout New X-Men. She had to die to be fully reborn as Phoenix.

In Endsong, Jean psi-blasted a Phoenix-possessed Emma and ripped the Phoenix out of Emma.
    Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 01-14-2018 at 05:11 PM.

BANNED

During the green mini dress Marvel Girl years, Jean's telepathic feats includes psi-blasting Juggernaut through his helmet hard enough that he thought it was Xavier, reading the minds of the last people who were in a room to discover Havok had been kidnapped, psi-blasting Mesmero, telepathically contacting Beast 3,000 miles away without Cerebro, reading a robot's mind, psi-blasting Hulk and knocking him out, being a psychic funnel for Xavier during the Z'Nox storyline, and accessing a comatose Xavier's mind.

Before she became Phoenix, Jean absorbed flight knowledge from Dr. Corbeau and psi-blasted and knocked out Cyclops.

During the Gold Team years, Jean transferred her mind and tk powers into Emma's body, telepathically shut down MeMe's mind, hit Betsy hard enough to knock her out of the astral plane, and trained Cable in Astral combat against the Phalanx. She suppressed Wolverine's pain after Magneto ripped out his metal.

And she searched the world with her telepathy without cerebro, before she started to manifest the Phoenix raptor again. You can't ignore it just because it was right before she manifested a raptor.

I know you don't count Revolution because of the power switch, but she did have powerful psi-blasts that effected the physical world, created very powerful psychic illusions, used a psychic wave to cause everyone in a building to evacuate, and in Black Sun created psychic tendrils and psi-blasted a bunch of alien/demon creatures. She was also able to suppress or boost other mutant's powers.

Although, Jean began accessing her Phoenix potential in New 120, she didn't use the Phoenix for every feat she did. There were no fire effects when Jean steered 75 people with her mind in Imperial.

Only at the end of her psychic press conference were there some flickers in her hair. Even in New 121, while her hair took the shape of the Phoenix, she didn't manifest a proper phoenix effect.

Her splitting Xavier's consciousness into every mutant mind was impressive even with cerebro and the Phoenix.

Jean may have been accessing her Phoenix potential in New X-Men, but she wasn't reborn as the fully cosmic powered Phoenix until New 148/150. Remember at the start of New 148 she mentions that she could not find the Phoenix anywhere. So she wasn't constantly connected to it throughout New X-Men. She had to die to be fully reborn as Phoenix.
    1) Hulk's mental defenses have grown since then so that Jean would not be able to do squat with a mindblast. During the Onslaught Saga, while Onslaught did manage to get control of Hulk at one point, after Storm and Cable freed him of that influence, Onslaught tried again to take over Hulk, but Hulk was able to force him out of his head. Jean's TP power was nothing compared to Onslaught's even before he had full access to Xavier's telepathy let alone when he later added the power of X-Man and Franklin Richards to his own.

2) Absorbing knowledge from Corbeau and psi-blasting out Cyclops is not an impressive feat to even be mentioned in a comparison to Emma Frost's though. I have shown Emma topping feats from Jean even when Jean had Betsy's powers added to her own. I have shown Jean losing BADLY to Exodus repeatedly while Emma was able to successfully counter him twice. I have shown Emma throwing more powerful mindblasts than Jean and breaking through psi-blocking tech that would have been far beyond the psi-blockers that stopped Jean even while Betsy's TP was added to her own.

3) In Black Sun, some of those demons beat Jean's psychic powers down (and again, this is with Betsy's TP powers added to her own):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/H0eZbwaGO4O...5VfCkzHg=s1600

Notice how when she established a link with them, they took control of her psi-link from her. I have never seen anybody do something like this to Emma and these were not demons on the level of say, Belasco. She lacked both the power and will to break free of those demons after they turned her mental trap back upon her.

4) While you talk about Jean steering 75 people with her mind, it was established in the 90s that Emma could mind control an entire town/city's population. That's far more than 75 people.

5) I agree, her splitting Xavier's psyche like that was impressive, and you forgot to mention, however, that she was also very ill when she pulled it off! However, again it doesn't count because she was boosted by both Cerebro, which enhances the power of a psi 10 fold, AND the Phoenix Force.

6) I can agree that she could not access the full power of the PF until she died and came back in the sun like that after Logan killed her. Still, however, the PF was boosting her power to a degree earlier. There is a market difference in the power she displayed post New X-Men 120 and the power levels she had in the 1990 decade prior to when she had Betsy's TP powers added to her own.
    Last edited by rutog98; 01-14-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Jean without Cerebra and without the PF is a telepath much more powerful than Emma, they have given you dozens of scenes and scans, and you simply ignore them, or you say that it is PIS, or that it is re-powered by PF, when we all see that it is not .

Emma is not even in the top five, the most powerful telepaths anyway.

The only ones who believe that Emma is a telepath superior to Jean, are Emma fans, and of the closed ones, because there are Emma fans more aware that they accept that Jean is more powerful.

::::::::::

I insist CURRENTLY Teen Jean took control of Emma that she had about Tyke in XMBluen, and Jean telepathically overcame Emma.

Thank you enjoy these images of Blue, where marvel comics is telling you that the Baby version of Jean without the PF is even more powerful than Old Emma.

Rachel scanned every mind on Earth without the Phoenix and without Cerebro, while levitating 30,000 feet above the Earth...

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

That explosion could be Phoenix reacting to Emma's attack.

I'm cool with it either way.
    On the next page Jean says "it will take more then a collapsing building to do me in" meaning it was Emma and not Jean. Additionally the narrator says the white queen strikes with devestating effect. It was attributed to Emma's psi bolt by Jeans own admission and the narrator

Emma is included in that list

Last edited by ExodusCloak; 01-14-2018 at 06:07 PM.