Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Are you saying that because of the delays or has there been news of Doom Patrol being over?
    It took forever for #11 to come out and there's been no mention of more issues. Maybe they'll announce #12 in the next few months, but right now we have no reason to think the series is still going.

So do we think Russell hasn't being given a bigger book ("bigger" meaning a superhero book) because he doesn't want one? Like maybe he's waiting for the right book...I would think he's been offered something at this point. He's doing a Judge Dredd book for IDW too right now.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Honestly I always thought Wally Gator was the gay one-

Jump to 0:23 https://youtu.be/yJ12t7fdsYM?t=23

And Snagglepuss was just overly theatrical.
    Then again...

If they looked more like their HB designs, I might check it out.
    In the end it's probably a good thing that they don't. The premise is so far removed from the original cartoon, it might be upsetting for some people to pick it up expecting a family friendly romp and getting all this stuff about McCarthy hearings and gay issues.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    So do we think Russell hasn't being given a bigger book ("bigger" meaning a superhero book) because he doesn't want one? Like maybe he's waiting for the right book...I would think he's been offered something at this point. He's doing a Judge Dredd book for IDW too right now.
    Could be, not everyone thinks that writing Batman or the Avengers is the high point of success. He could be holding out for some lesser known property that might be more interesting to him.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Honestly I always thought Wally Gator was the gay one-

Jump to 0:23 https://youtu.be/yJ12t7fdsYM?t=23

And Snagglepuss was just overly theatrical.
    Then again...
    As most was the case for most H-B characters of that time, Snagglepuss and Wally Gator were modeled after famous comedians (Bert Lahr and Ed Wynn, respectively).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I am so glad there are others reading this comic.
    I guess I'm going to have to go back and try the Flintstones, again. Really, really had adverse reaction to the first issue. Have the first issues been collected yet?
    I'm amazed to know I'm not alone as someone entertained by Exit Stage Left. Good to know. Glad to know. See y'all next issue.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I am so glad there are others reading this comic.
    I guess I'm going to have to go back and try the Flintstones, again. Really, really had adverse reaction to the first issue. Have the first issues been collected yet?
    I'm amazed to know I'm not alone as someone entertained by Exit Stage Left. Good to know. Glad to know. See y'all next issue.
    I think there are two collections that contain Russell's full Flintstones run. If you only gave it one issue, I'd highly recommending giving it another try. It's pretty great and that's from someone that LOVES ESL: Snagglepuss.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thanks, Batman J.
    Let mention again how much I love my public library.
    I have volumes one AND two of The Flintstones currently on hold.
    Will pick them up next week, and get back to you all. Until then,
    exit: stage left.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    As most was the case for most H-B characters of that time, Snagglepuss and Wally Gator were modeled after famous comedians (Bert Lahr and Ed Wynn, respectively).
    Yeah and Yogi was based on Art Carney, Doggie Daddy on Jimmy Durante, Snooper after Ed Gardner, Morocco Mole impersonating Peter Lorre, Top Cat on Phil Silvers, Fancy-Fancy on Cary Grant, Mr. Jinks a parody of Marlon Brando, Lippy the Lion and Peter Potamus patterned on Joe E. Brown, Hokey Wolf also Phil Silvers, Ding-A-Ling on Buddy Hackett, ...etc. etc...

So what's your point? Why'd you quote me?

Last edited by Güicho; 05-09-2018 at 08:15 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Yeah and Yogi was based on Art Carney, Doggie Daddy on Jimmy Durante, Snooper after Ed Gardner, Morocco Mole impersonating Peter Lorre, Top Cat on Phil Silvers, Fancy-Fancy on Cary Grant, Mr. Jinks a parody of Marlon Brando, Lippy the Lion and Peter Potamus patterned on Joe E. Brown, Hokey Wolf also Phil Silvers, Ding-A-Ling on Buddy Hackett, ...etc. etc...

So what's your point? Why'd you quote me?

Just adding a fact some of the younger people here might not know about?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I really need to check that book out. I wasn't paying much attention to DC during the Nu52 so I completely missed it. If it's half as good as Snagglepuss and Flinstones though, I'll have a new favorite Nu52 title.
    Read Prez. As expected, it was by far the best Nu52 book I've read to date and serves as further proof to me that Russell is one of the single greatest minds in comics today. Unfortunately, it's plainly obvious why the book didn't last. Between the lack of cape stuff, DC's relatively conservative readership, DC's poor sales across the board at the time, likely not much advertising (if I'm wrong there, tell me otherwise) and, let's be frank, lots of idiots out there being unable to understand the book, it seems like it was doomed from the start.

Still, I really hope DC eventually lets Russell come back to finish his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Read Prez. As expected, it was by far the best Nu52 book I've read to date and serves as further proof to me that Russell is one of the single greatest minds in comics today. Unfortunately, it's plainly obvious why the book didn't last. Between the lack of cape stuff, DC's relatively conservative readership, DC's poor sales across the board at the time, likely not much advertising (if I'm wrong there, tell me otherwise) and, let's be frank, lots of idiots out there being unable to understand the book, it seems like it was doomed from the start.

Still, I really hope DC eventually lets Russell come back to finish his story.
    You're one of THOSE people. The ones who make recommendations that inevitably cost me money.

BANNED

The ending to the series was just as brilliant and unexpected as I'd have hoped. It's a crime that this book has gotten zero attention while far lesser books have eaten up the comic media's attention...but on the bright side, Russell's next book was just announced: https://twitter.com/rpace/status/1004778916639174656

Does his cousin Snaggletooth from the Quick Draw McGraw show, ever appear?

I wouldn't have believed it, but in a way, yes.

this was extraordinary.