View Poll Results: Is a superhero film saturation point near?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • There isn't a saturation point

9 16.67%
  • If there's a saturation point, it's nowhere near

20 37.04%
  • Not yet, but not far away

12 22.22%
  • Any second now

2 3.70%
  • It's already happened

7 12.96%
  • Other opinion...

4 7.41%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Is the superhero cinema saturation point nigh?

A recent CBR column discusses how durable the superhero is on Cinema. Your thoughts?

BANNED

Check the presales for Black Panther.

I don't agree with the likes of Jodie Foster. I respect Jodie Foster a lot but sometimes intelligent people can make foolish statements. Even if people make artsy films they desire to make money. No one spends money to make films without expecting some money.

Its not that original films aren't being made. Its just that people aren't going to see it. At least not much as the people at Hollywood want to. Nice Guys is a prime example. It was awesome. But how many people went to see it? Its more frustrating when the same people criticizing the lack of originality don't go to see those original films which come out.

How many superhero films come out each year? 2017 had six. And how many hollywood films came out in the same year? Around 200 to 300 i guess. That's a small fraction of the total. Its not that a film like Taxi Driver had a 100 million dollar budget at that time. Such films come out each year even now and both type of films can co-exist. Its just that people see what they want. Its fine to dislike something but to call someone less intelligent just because they like a kind of film which you don't like is totally wrong.

I don't see a saturation point in near time. But they do need to make unique and good films. If the films fail to entertain they would loose out. But going the way of the Western is not something i can see. Something like MCU manages to resonate with audiences all around the world. It came at the perfect time when there is a saturation of things like the internet or smartphones and the world is becoming much smaller. Superheroes resonate with people across all cultures in way few other genres do. Superheroes both DC, Marvel and others have tonnes of material to take inspiration from. If the superhero genre fails i don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-13-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    ...I don't see a saturation point in near time. But they do need to make unique and good films. If the films fail to entertain they would loose out.
    I double agree here. If studios get lazy or complacent, they could damage the brands that are most viable for films. Batman was practically rendered radioactive for a while.

But going the way of the Western is not something i can see. Something like MCU manages to resonate with audiences all around the world. It came at the perfect time when there is a saturation of things like the internet or smartphones and the world is becoming much smaller. Superheroes resonate with people across all cultures in way few other genres do. Superheroes both DC, Marvel and others have tonnes of material to take inspiration from. If the superhero genre fails i don't see it happening anytime soon.
    That raises a point, there was a time when the Western resonated with audiences all around the world. How many forms of the story can be told before it gets stale?

Mighty Member

No and it is likely the number of SH movies coming out will go down with Fox going out of the business. Marvel doesn't have to make movies to hold onto the rights.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I double agree here. If studios get lazy or complacent, they could damage the brands that are most viable for films. Batman was practically rendered radioactive for a while.
    A relatively short "while." Not a decade passed between the disaster that was BATMAN AND ROBIN and the glorious rebirth heralded by BATMAN BEGINS. Only eleven years separated B&R from the high water mark of THE DARK KNIGHT.

In contrast, it took much longer for the SUPERMAN film franchise to recover from SUPERMAN IV.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    A relatively short "while." Not a decade passed between the disaster that was BATMAN AND ROBIN and the glorious rebirth heralded by BATMAN BEGINS. Only eleven years separated B&R from the high water mark of THE DARK KNIGHT.

In contrast, it took much longer for the SUPERMAN film franchise to recover from SUPERMAN IV.
    Not sure I can entirely agree with this. The recovery time for Superman had a lot more to do with not knowing what to do with him than bad feelings from the last movie. There were too many ideas about black suits, Nicholas Cage, and completely different origins that started development, but thankfully never finished development.

I also think that, while it's too soon to be sure, the Batfleck version might end up regarded as radioactive itself.

BANNED

I think saturation point was reached a few years back.

Which is not the same at all superhero movies now being doomed or less popular or something like that.

Astonishing Member

People've been waiting breathlessly for some kind of Great Superhero Movie Crash for almost ten years now.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    People've been waiting breathlessly for some kind of Great Superhero Movie Crash for almost ten years now.
    Mostly because it'll validate their elitist belief that comic books aren't "respectable" storytelling.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

I also think that, while it's too soon to be sure, the Batfleck version might end up regarded as radioactive itself.
    Affleck's portrayal of Batman onscreen generally seems well-received, unless you're referring to the cloud hanging over Affleck's personal reputation in recent months after revelations about Affleck's conduct in his extracurricular activities.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The only companies experiencing a superhero cinema saturation point are Fox and DC.

It just goes to show you that quality dictates longevity.

Extraordinary Member

How many superhero films come out each year? 2017 had six.
    I think 7 altogether if you count power rangers or lego batman.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    The only companies experiencing a superhero cinema saturation point are Fox and DC.

It just goes to show you that quality dictates longevity.
    All trends wane. Arguably, some of The Western's examples best came in and after its twilight.

How many superhero films come out each year? 2017 had six. And how many hollywood films came out in the same year? Around 200 to 300 i guess. That's a small fraction of the total. Its not that a film like Taxi Driver had a 100 million dollar budget at that time. Such films come out each year even now and both type of films can co-exist. Its just that people see what they want. Its fine to dislike something but to call someone less intelligent just because they like a kind of film which you don't like is totally wrong.

I don't see a saturation point in near time. But they do need to make unique and good films. If the films fail to entertain they would loose out. But going the way of the Western is not something i can see. Something like MCU manages to resonate with audiences all around the world. It came at the perfect time when there is a saturation of things like the internet or smartphones and the world is becoming much smaller. Superheroes resonate with people across all cultures in way few other genres do. Superheroes both DC, Marvel and others have tonnes of material to take inspiration from. If the superhero genre fails i don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Based on the films listed on Box Office Mojo, there were 724 films that came out in 2017. Seven were superhero movies if you count Power Rangers. In 2016 there were 736 movies, and also seven superhero movies.
    In 2015 there were 705 movies, three of which were superhero movies. You get the idea. Now look at the top box office. Of the top 10 movies in 2017, five were superhero movies, with Logan at 11. For 2016 there
    were four in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

But its not like superhero movies were dead between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins. Between them there was Spawn, Steel, Blade, X-Men, Blade II, Spider-Man, Daredevil, X2: X-Men United, Hulk, Hellboy,
    The Punisher, Spider-Man II, Catwoman, Blade: Trinity and Elektra.