Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Brian Bendis on Superman

It was just announced that Bendis is now DC exclusive.

He's a big name writer that could potentially get nearly any book he wants. How would you feel about him getting either Action or Superman, from either Jurgens or Tomasi/Gleason?

BANNED

We can expect a lot of talking per issue

Depends.

Does he genuinely love or even like Superman, even if only in his own unique way?

Has he ever, even informally, expressed a fondness for Superman?

Because if not, why would he suddenly "get" the character now?

So it depends ...

He's a big name, on a big exclusive deal.

He'll be on a Bat book. I'd almost guarantee it.

I'm not super familiar with his work to the point I'm saying that out of disappointment or even relief or anything, just the reality of how DC operates when it comes to its big names.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-07-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

He'd be perfect for a series that focuses more on the Daily Planet.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Eh, Ultimate Spider-Man was great, Daredevil was great, and Avengers was fun... until he left street level. His Sentry was awful. I'd try him but not expect much, although he has never spoken about Superman before.

Maybe it helps that he's good friends with Loeb

I'm not interested in a big name signing on to do a Superman title for 12 months and then skedaddling. I mean, it's great like giving a diabetic one shot of fast-acting insulin, but eh. But maybe something good will come out of this.

It would depend, honestly.

Bendis doesnt do cosmic well, which means I dont want to see him tackle the kind of big Silver Age/Morrison style stories I prefer in my Superman.

And odds are if Bendis knows anything about the character in the first place (Ive never heard him mention Superman before) he favors a more Clark-centric, post-Crisis approach than I do. But so does Tomasi and I've enjoyed his run, so that's not a deal breaker.

I think there's two ways Bendis could tackle Superman that I would be okay with; as either a "family book" like Tomasi is writing where there is big crazy sci-fi but it's not a focus, or if Bendis wrote the social crusader aspect of Superman and had him tackling corrupt politicians and businessmen. Akin to the Golden Age but with all the trappings of the modern day.

Actually, the idea of Bendis writing an out-of-continuity Golden Age Superman, with those power limits, is actually pretty interesting. I think he could actually do good work with a project like that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I feel like he could write a great Lois Lane. And at this point, I would be interested in anyone taking over action or superman just for some new blood on the title.

If Bendis writing LOIS LANE is what it would take for her to finally get her own ongoing title, then I say welcome aboard!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Wow...Was not expecting Bendis to jump ship.

It depends on what type of book. As others said, he'd be great on a Daily Planet or Lois Lane book.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

When is Stan Lee going to work for DC?

- I want a Lois Lane book.

- Next in line is Superwoman. Can Superwoman be revived now? Steel and Natasha were in Superwoman. A

-Superfamily book may get a chance.

-I am hearing that his street level stuff is good. So, Daily Planet appears to be a good option.

I don't think DC is interested in Lois Lane or Daily Planet. Unless he wants that i don't see much chance here. But Superwoman can get a lease of life if DC wishes so. Superfamily appears a pipedream.

Action or Superman appear to be on a plan for now. If he wants to work in those titles it won't be soon. Personally i am really loving the directions there and wish it to continue. Give him a fill in issue or two. Then fans may be able to gauge if he is a good fit for Superman.

I am behind in Supergirl. So, i don't know if it is doing good or not. Its sales has improved quite a bit but fans say that's due to the covers. He might be good here.

I don't think anyone wishes to see him on Supersons or New Superman.

Though i maybe kidding myself. DC puts him on Batman related books. Not Batman. Perhaps Detective or Nightwing or even a new Bat book.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.

When is Stan Lee going to work for DC?*
    He already did that
    latest-1.jpg