Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Unless there's an explanation given in the title that's been missed, #2 gives this theory credence.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Bodiless View Post
    SPOILERS, A LITTLE BIT

1. Diana's obviously acting out of character throughout the entire issue. It's also out of character for Tom King - a man who agonised for hours over one line of dialogue from Superman - not to research her sufficiently.
    2. She tells Bruce that the Gentle Man has informed her that he wants to take up their offer for a day off. How did he get her the message, if the portal can't be opened from his side?
    3. As his scenes with Selina illustrate, the Gentle Man has clearly got some ulterior motive for his little day off.
    4. Diana uses the Bat-signal to contact Bruce, when - as he points out - she could have used the League comms, or indeed any other method of communication available to the two of them.

What's the obvious answer to all of this? It's not Wonder Woman. It's a trick - shapeshifter, whatever - but it's not really Diana.

This makes sense and is also something that would make me significantly less annoyed. I'll still be annoyed that the image of Diana was yet again used as an object of temptation, but at least it wouldn't be actually "her." However, the question remains why it took Bruce 10 years to notice unless 10 years hadn't actually passed in that realm either. That theory also saves Bruce from appearing as a jackass since he may be only leaning for a kiss to distract it. This also explains why it wants Bruce to give up. I'm liking this theory more and more. Please let it be true.
    Last edited by rosawater; 01-17-2018 at 06:39 PM.

BANNED

The Gentle Man's ulterior motive is to see his wife, he's meant to be the symbol of "faith" to the committed Selina, teaching her to trust in her finance. I think some people are really reaching here. It's just lousy characterization of Diana on King's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Unless there's an explanation given in the title that's been missed, #2 gives this theory credence.
    Well a demon or shapeshifter etc would be better I guess but then...why would demon or said shapeshifter even want to use Wonder Woman? What does that say? Again why not if King been planning this engagement arc why couldn't this have been Talia or even Zatanna as him and Zee do have a real history? Why use Diana's image as the seductress? Makes no sense to me. And then if it is not Diana, then their friendship...is not a pillar of the DCU? He and the demon is?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Well a demon or shapeshifter etc would be better I guess but then...why would demon or said shapeshifter even want to use Wonder Woman? What does that say? Again why not if King been planning this engagement arc why couldn't this have been Talia or even Zatanna as him and Zee do have a real history? Why use Diana's image as the seductress? Makes no sense to me. And then if it is not Diana, then their friendship...is not a pillar of the DCU? He and the demon is?
    With the negative feedback about WW's depiction in the story, the next chapter will be modified before release just to reveal that she wasn't the real Diana and save King's ass. jk

P.S Clear your inbox.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-18-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    With the negative feedback about WW's depiction in the story, the next chapter will be modified before release just to reveal that she wasn't the real Diana and save King's ass.

P.S Clear your inbox.
    Oops thanks. Yep. Done. Cleared.

And I want that thing Bruce spent all that time with team up in a book with him! Batman and Shapeshifter: The Brave and the Brazen.
    Last edited by hellacre; 01-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The Gentle Man's ulterior motive is to see his wife, he's meant to be the symbol of "faith" to the committed Selina, teaching her to trust in her finance. I think some people are really reaching here. It's just lousy characterization of Diana on King's part.
    If that is so, why is he wasting his one day off hanging around with Selina instead of getting back with his wife immediately...

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    To be fair, this is a Batman book. Not a WW book. Every character that appears should be nothing but a plot point lol They should appear in service to HIS story.

If she was written as a plot device in her own book, or in JL, then sure, I'd agree. But it's a Batman book, so I'm not sure why it matters so much.
    Wow, you're sure letting the writers off the hook.

I think all the characters in a story should be characters, with their own motives and personalities. You may provide more focus and detail for one over another, but that doesn't mean that everybody put the main character is an automaton that doesn't really need to make sense. I don't think that's good writing.

And I particularly think that's true in shared-universe serial fiction, when you're using a major character as a significant guest star. Some people will be attracted to the comic because they know and like that character, and if you write her poorly or out-of-character or just as a "plot point," they're going to be disappointed and might not come back the next time you do it. (That's just the pragmatic, financial reason for treating a character with respect. The artistic reasons are more important to me.)

Otherwise, why use Wonder Woman? Invent a new, temporary character to fill the role - since after all, she's "just a plot point lol," it shouldn't matter who she is.

If you're going to use Wonder Woman, write her like Wonder Woman.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Incredible Member

I'm not surprised by this mess, and at least in the issue of action comics Diana waited the 1000 years and didn't know that they would make it back to their time and therefore pretty sure Lois had long since died. Here she wanted to jump him even knowing that time works different even though it was ten years to them.

Between this, the batman brave and the bold issue coming up with a guest appearance from wonder woman to basically flirt in the issue (and provide information on mystic celt gods apparently) all under the batman editorial and while she was under the superman editorial she was given to Tomasi to use while he filled out the order 66 to the superman wonder woman book, I can officially support the calls for wonder woman to get her books its own editor.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    I can officially support the calls for wonder woman to get her books its own editor.
    She had her own editors for like 2 months: Jim Chadwick and Jessica Chen, until Rucka came on board with the freedom to choose the editors to work with.

Incredible Member

This is just another example of King not giving a **** about understanding characters and just making nonsensical **** up. Plot holes, poor characterization, shitty dialogue. Standard King. How people think he’s a good writer is beyond me.

Celestial Centurion Caelestial5595's Avatar

Eh. Apathy towards DC and their shenanigans does wonders for one's sanity. This kinda nonsense just reinforces it. Classic Running-The-Asylum syndrome.

True. But man, with this situation, the way the present is set up as opposed to the past, there were so many things that protected against this crap happening again. That they bypassed all that (engagement, Steve's return) to do it again still managed to amazed even me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Celestial Centurion Caelestial5595's Avatar

Like I said, Knight. Running-The-Asylum syndrome. Classic case of what happens when you put a fanboy on a title who can't be objective.

BANNED

Batman#40 preview

http://wegotthiscovered.com/comicboo...ite-batman-40/

spoilers:
    Even though rational heads prevail and they big up their own love interests, they come dangerously closer to lip-locking than Clark and Diana ever did in the Action issue
    end of spoilers