Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Who cares? Rich Johnston is a sensationalist and a drama queen whose words are worth very little to me. King does what King does, the only discussion of merit will be held after the fact.

Also what the hell, was that article proof-read at all? The title says Action Comics #571, when the issue in question is actually Action Comics #761, and it concludes by calling it Action Comics #671.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I certainly don't care. Honestly the only thing I'm going to care about is the ACTUAL STORY that is written IN the issue not something that someone THINKS is going to be the story based on, from what I can tell, a lot of speculation and second hand information. Very often I'll see something like this, watch a bunch of people get bent out of shape over it without having read the issue yet and then actually read the thing only to find out all that panic was for nothing.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Who cares? Rich Johnston is a sensationalist and a drama queen whose words are worth very little to me.
    Man needs to make a living. We click, he gets his bread and better.

But yes folks. It would be advisable to read the actual issue first and draw your own conclusions from it.

BANNED

If true what annoys me is that this upcoming issue is basically a ripoff and that too of a not so good story. I dont care about the shipping angle but King's run these last few months has been incredibly derivative, cliched and lacks any original ideas. Please get back to writing Batman stories, too much emphasis on shipping has virtually sapped any interest for the book from my end.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Who cares? Rich Johnston is a sensationalist and a drama queen whose words are worth very little to me. King does what King does, the only discussion of merit will be held after the fact.

Also what the hell, was that article proof-read at all? The title says Action Comics #571, when the issue in question is actually Action Comics #761, and it concludes by calling it Action Comics #671.
    Yeah it's actually quite a few websites now posting their "preview" about the story. But all of the ones I have seen have posted the correct Issue number, 761.

I say whatever. I'm tired of all these websites working fans up. Especially on Twitter. I'm just going to enjoy these issues from now on, to my liking. What I like, I like. What I don't, I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    If true what annoys me is that this upcoming issue is basically a ripoff and that too of a not so good story. I dont care about the shipping angle but King's run these last few months has been incredibly derivative, cliched and lacks any original ideas. Please get back to writing Batman stories, too much emphasis on shipping has virtually sapped any interest for the book from my end.
    Yeah but didn't you have a problem with his run when he was writing the "Batman" stories too?

BANNED

I had my issues with the first year but things happened, the story moved. Barely anything has happened these last 14 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Whatever that was, it was never seen through. It was one of Johns' classic dropped plot points. I don't know if it had anything to do with her leaving that incarnation of the JLA, but there was that scene in Forever Evil where Batman rescued the trapped heroes with the Lasso of Truth (which Steve went through hell to retrieve then was taken off the table just so Batman could be the hero), and that he was able to use it to connect to Diana suggested a connection between the two, which Selina was quick to raise an eyebrow to, and which was supposed to be explored later. It just never was.
    Overall I like Johns’ writing but I absolutely hate how many dropped plot points he leaves in his books. His Justice League run was especially bad.

King has confirmed that this is pretty much correct, though unintentionally:

Screenshot_20180114-132605.jpg
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I suppose it would be too much to hope that one of the major differences would just be a story of friendship rather romantic overtones. But I think the inspirations he listed pretty much guarantees there will be. Just so disappointing that she has to be used as the third wheel again to prop up other relationships. Eventually they'll do a Selina-is-jealous issue, kinda like they then did with Lois later on.

More trying to have their cake and eat it too though. They committed to restoring a more post-Crisis like world. On top of that, made the decision to get Batman engaged, while they kept a restored Steve Trevor. Yet they still want to play with this pre-FP stuff which didn't even fit then and actually fits even worse now due to said changes/new developments. DC needs to just let the Wonder Woman team do what they will with her love life, in stories that are designed to build up her and her partner. Not to drive home a greatness in the love lives of her fellow Trinity members. Bruce/Selina is interesting enough in its own right. They didn't need to shoehorn some past romantic history with Lois in the other two issues. They don't need to do it with WW in this part.

This all of course just a criticism of the very idea. King himself seems like a good dude, not at all meant to rip on him personally. Hell maybe he'll surprise and do some justice to this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-14-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    King has confirmed that this is pretty much correct, though unintentionally:

Screenshot_20180114-132605.jpg
    King always seems like such a cool guy! Always seems so nice on twitter!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    King always seems like such a cool guy! Always seems so nice on twitter!
    I like that his his coolness on twitter doesn't affect his writing(like making poision ivy a hero because of angry fans?)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I like that his his coolness on twitter doesn't affect his writing(like making poision ivy a hero because of angry fans?)
    He's writing an Ivy arc. I bet he'll make her a hero there.

Thoughts:

While I will reserve final judgement for when I actually read the issue, I will say that a lot of this mess starting because a couple of "reviewers", one in particular, had brought it up in a Twitter thread to King. King responded and then there was a back and forth with King but a couple of reviewers, actually about 3 kept hounding him and then started posting their "reviews" randomly on people's pages. Throughout the whole process, King was a gracious social media person and said that he had NOT read that issue before.

NOW that same reviewer is asking King to message him and he says "ah man, this thing turned into a fiasco". So they also had a hand in this as well.

Because on Saturday night, when it starting floating around, there were also other reviewers or podcasters that were baiting shippers as well "WonderBat shippers are going to be so happy, blah, blah" They know that this gets this likes and looks on their pages and gets the WB fans all in tizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    He's writing an Ivy arc. I bet he'll make her a hero there.
    On one hand, I think King likes interacting with his fans and he is nice to them. He doesn't get into it with them or make fun of them, as did Sean Gordon Murphy did a couple of weeks ago, which got Scott Synder talking about that same fan negatively too.

BUT on the other hand, I think King can be too nice sometimes or too reactive to groups of fans. Tell the story as you see fit. He said in the beginning, the was writing the cliché Batman. BUT maybe that works, go back to that AND still tell you Batman/Catwoman story. But tell your story that is true to the characters.

But the way fans and shippers and reviewers and podcasters act sometimes when it comes to these comics, it's simply ridiculous. It happens with TV fans and Marvel fans too. Too much access to these creators.