Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Potential Spoiler For Batman#39

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...-571-spoilers/

Ugh. Can't they keep Diana out of the other halves of the Trinity's pants for more than one year? Poor Steve.

Still, nice of Rich to bring up my favorite Superman/Wonder Woman story (devilish grin)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Ugh. If this is true, it will probably be the very first thing in this run to truly irritate me. Trinity shipping is a trend that needs to die a thousand deaths already, particularly Bats/WW.

I won't hold it against King too much as long as he writes Diana well. And even if he doesn't....well, it's just two issues. I can skip over it if it bothers me in trade.

I don't think there's any way to do this that portrays Diana well, unfortunately. As the main point will be that she's the unwanted party, the temptress whom would be a threat to a nuptials if not for the man's honorable resistance. For all its attempt to sugarcoat it that's all that Action issue did way back then. It was sad, pathetic, and disrespectful then and it'll only be more so now.

I can't imagine any situation where she looks good here. Hell I'm at a point now where I wouldn't be half surprised if DC was stupid enough to go back to this later and use it so as to actually not go through with the marriage.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Aren't Bruce's feelings for Diana what drove Selina off the JL in New 52?

I recall reading something along those lines

Has anybody read the review copy?

Plus, would Diana do that to Steve?

I have faith in Tom King! I'm sure its gonna be a great issue as usual! Im not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Whatever that was, it was never seen through. It was one of Johns' classic dropped plot points. I don't know if it had anything to do with her leaving that incarnation of the JLA, but there was that scene in Forever Evil where Batman rescued the trapped heroes with the Lasso of Truth (which Steve went through hell to retrieve then was taken off the table just so Batman could be the hero), and that he was able to use it to connect to Diana suggested a connection between the two, which Selina was quick to raise an eyebrow to, and which was supposed to be explored later. It just never was.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    Has anybody read the review copy?

Plus, would Diana do that to Steve?
    They'll probably play it off that whatever feelings were there first shaped during a time when Diana wasn't with Steve. Which on its own is fine, but considering the idea that this is basically a redo of Immortal Beloved, then the story will probably have these feelings used again in the present in order to allow Bruce to resist the temptation to stay loyal to his fiancée...so yeah. That not so much fine as in the present she is very much with Steve.

Of course, if this article proves to be more click-bait and less substance, and things don't play out like this, I'll absolutely love to eat some crow.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.

I don't recall anything involving Wonder Woman, but Batman shunning the possibility of a relationship between them for the umpteenth time at the end of Forever Evil really ticked her off.

So Bruce developed feelings for Diana while she was with Superman??? WAs that in Scott’s run?

I think that if they wanted to explore Batman and Wonder Woman, they should had done that FIRST then that way it could get them out of the way and then they could have had them work the characters back to Selina and Steve.

Because to do anything romantic now while one is engaged and the other one is living with her boyfriend, would be a slap in the face to fans AND make the characters look really bad.

So Bruce developed feelings for Diana while she was with Superman??? WAs that in Scott’s run?
    Nope. It wasn't anywhere, because the plot point never got off the ground. A connection was hinted at in Forever Evil, then never followed up upon. So fans were left to just speculate what the connection Bruce had with Diana that allowed him to utilize the lasso in that way. Many assumed something romantic in nature. But in the end we have no idea what it truly was ever hinting at. I don't even think Johns has ever been asked about it.

I think that if they wanted to explore Batman and Wonder Woman, they should had done that FIRST then that way it could get them out of the way and then they could have had them work the characters back to Selina and Steve.

Because to do anything romantic now while one is engaged and the other one is living with her boyfriend, would be a slap in the face to fans AND make the characters look really bad.

Problem is, unlike the New 52 which rebooted things, there's no way to do that first anymore because of the history. So doing it requires a re-writing of that history which can all-too-often change the dynamic of the present. More often than not in bad ways. Hell with as many fans as this idea seems to have in the company, I'm shocked they ended up going with SM/WW in the New 52. They could have easily went forward with Bat/WW then. My only guess is that Didio, who was the main architect of things then, basically, liked Superman and Wonder Woman better (and if so I send him a big thank you).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Whatever that was, it was never seen through. It was one of Johns' classic dropped plot points. I don't know if it had anything to do with her leaving that incarnation of the JLA, but there was that scene in Forever Evil where Batman rescued the trapped heroes with the Lasso of Truth (which Steve went through hell to retrieve then was taken off the table just so Batman could be the hero), and that he was able to use it to connect to Diana suggested a connection between the two, which Selina was quick to raise an eyebrow to, and which was supposed to be explored later. It just never was.
    A lot of that Forever Evil event surrounding the WW-related things ended up getting changed halfway through it seems. Steve totally should have been the one with that connection. Or Cheetah should have been with all the other arch foes and she wasn't for some stupid reason, and been the one whose connection brought her back (they don't have a positive connection, but it's a strong one).

Then again, that ARGUS mini promised me Cheetah as the Big Bad and her fighting Superwoman, but instead I got one issue of her and a whole lot of Killer Frost and Dr. Light somehow.

Of course, if this article proves to be more click-bait and less substance, and things don't play out like this, I'll absolutely love to eat some crow.
    I hope you're right. Whatever else anyone can say about this run, it hasn't played it safe or been too predictable. I think rehashing an old Action Comics issue would be too lazy compared with what has happened so far.

Yeah...and man with what he did with Clark and Lois with Bruce and Selina, it'd be so disappointing if this was the route taken with Diana. I'm not saying do the exact same story, but touching characterizations of friendship would be wholly welcome, not romantic drama.

Yeah...and man with what he did with Clark and Lois with Bruce and Selina, it'd be so disappointing if this was the route taken with Diana. I'm not saying do the exact same story, but touching characterizations of friendship would be wholly welcome, not romantic drama.
    Not to mention DC releasing Liam Sharp’s 6 issue mini after the engagement, yet it was written before. I mean, again, DC, if you wanted to explore Batman and Wonder Woman, you should had just done that first and then they could had worked their way back to Selina and Steve. But dropping subtle hints and the pushes with series and little things in the movies or whatever. Okay that’s fine but not when one half of the couple is engaged.

Again why I don’t know how serious DC is taking this engagement.