Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WontonGirl View Post
    On one hand, I think King likes interacting with his fans and he is nice to them. He doesn't get into it with them or make fun of them, as did Sean Gordon Murphy did a couple of weeks ago, which got Scott Synder talking about that same fan negatively too.

BUT on the other hand, I think King can be too nice sometimes or too reactive to groups of fans. Tell the story as you see fit. He said in the beginning, the was writing the cliché Batman. BUT maybe that works, go back to that AND still tell you Batman/Catwoman story. But tell your story that is true to the characters.

But the way fans and shippers and reviewers and podcasters act sometimes when it comes to these comics, it's simply ridiculous. It happens with TV fans and Marvel fans too. Too much access to these creators.
    Murphy and Snyder are the chillest guys on Twitter. They've never been in any controversy yet. King has found himself involved in a fair few from Ivy fans to fighter list to his comments about Superman and now this. He has trolled fans in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Murphy and Snyder are the chillest guys on Twitter. They've never been in any controversy yet. King has found himself involved in a fair few from Ivy fans to fighter list to his comments about Superman and now this. He has trolled fans in the past.
    Sean Murphy retweeted something a fan wrote that was extremely critical of his work work and made fun of a typo the fan made. Scott joined on the action in his own page by calling the fan an *******.

I have never seen King call anybody out of their name or make fun of specific fans.

The point is these creators, whether it’s Sean or King, get harressed by a barrage of folks because of the access.

BANNED

Well we wont know for sure till we've read it but those who have read it and King himself admits it that 39 is a copy of the Action issue. Calling out plagiarism isn't harrasment imo.
    Last edited by joybeans; 01-15-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Okay, I'm going to put an end to these false flag conspiracy theory accusations. Writers aren't out to attack fandoms, nor are they secretly manufacturing controversies. You can talk about what you expect out of this issue, but unless you have a review copy, we can only surmise what the story will contain until Wednesday hits.

BANNED

maybe a twist is involved where instead of bats/WW selina and WW are going to reminiscence about their first meeting and the spark of attraction they felt given both have been declared to have been bi when they get to demon land or Asgard or wherever and they will once again start lusting for each other while a 1000 years pass away and Bruce gets gray with worry wondering (lol) where his bride to be has disappeared this also would make Bruce adopt the unusual role for him of being the insecure love interest left behind pining away that Lois had on AC 761not to mention tom also seems to have appropriated the partner hiding a terrible secret and confessing it to the spouse subplot from that issue though and turned it into a major story arc while Clark never reads lois confession about her "terrible secret".lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Writers aren't out to attack fandoms.
    Tell that to Marvel employees on twitter

I don't think their aim is to specifically point at and mock certain fanbases. I mean, even most writers are fans, they probably feel things they don't say, but I don' think they go out of their way to do it publicly. But I do believe some utilize social media these days to manufacture controversy. Why? Because its an attention grabber. You grab attention, you potentially increase sales. Its an advertisement method, and I don't believe for a second that its not consciously used. This of course can be a double-edged sword.

Its actually for this reason, with reflection, that I have hope that there's nothing this issue will have other than innuendo that only ends in a solidification of a platonic friendship. Its something they do in regards to the mission that comes back and causes friction in then the final issue of the two-parter, I'm imagining. I think anything more from a "shipper" pov would have leaked already beyond just what news we got. Hell DC's general idea of doing Super Wonder in the reboot was leaked a few months before Flashpoint even started.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-15-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well the preview I think gets across the jist of what the plot is. In the past they go on a mission together against a threat, which apparently is in a place where time moves differently. There it seems they make some sort of pact with whomever this "Gentle Man" is. In the present day, the time has come to make good on whatever the pact is.

My guess? Its back to pessimism and my bad feeling for how Diana will be portrayed will come to fruition. Because I'm willing to bet now that whatever this pact is and whatever the Gentle Man wants has something to do with Bruce and Diana needing to get intimate. Bruce will refuse now that he is an engaged man, the deal, whatever it is, is broken, causing Diana to be pissed off. It'll be played that Diana wants to go through with it mainly for the benefit of putting a pin in whatever this threat is as was promised, but there we'll of course be treated to a personal desire deep down as well. And in the end she'll still look terrible and Bruce will look good for staying true Selina.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

King seems to have nailed Diana's persistent robotic language, which has been with us since Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    King seems to have nailed Diana's persistent robotic language, which has been with us since Rucka
    That's how King writes everyone, though.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    That's how King writes everyone, though.
    Diana's been talking like that since Perez though. So to be fair to Rucka and King, they are writing her voice pretty accurately.

Spectacular Member

King mentions that he would have drastically changed this story if he had known about the story it was similar to. He had some emotional beats he needed to get out and this framework seemed to work - that implies to me that the emotional beats are ones that could have come up without this storyline and therefore not really a product OF the storyline.

King references Death Takes a Holiday as being an inspiration for the story. I think if we assume Selina = Grazia and Batman = Death, then the emotional beat he might be trying to make could be related to the decision between seeking his own happiness (relationship with Selina, but potentially putting her at risk) or sacrifice it for the greater good (including keep her safe).

Where Wonder Woman comes into this, I don't know. She may be a sounding board, or may have perspective to offer from her relationships or reflect on the different ways people come to doing good things. I don't know Diana's relationship with Steve Trevor very well, but I understand that he is a heroic type person and that shouldering their common goals together eases the burden on both, but even if they weren't a couple they likely would face the same threats as allies. Together they both get happiness and extra protection. But Catwoman and Batman don't have the same starting motivations and Catwoman maybe would have been safer outside of his influence. Does she now stand by his side facing threats that he faces, that she otherwise would have not gotten involved in? He gets happiness and extra protection, she gets happiness and greater threats. This is a simplified way of looking at all these characters, but just a thought on how it could relate to Death takes a Holiday.

I like your ideas, and hope they're far more close to how it pans out than anything I thought of.

Spectacular Member

I'm preparing myself for anything really. If it turns out to be off-putting or careless, I'm just going to let it be a blip and move on. I think I'm going to avoid thinking about it anymore until Wednesday (going to try at least).