Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Looking forward to this.

Mental health is an important issue that is too often ignored.

Superheroes lead very violent lives. They must be traumatized often.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I get what King wants to do and I respect the concept. However, I am one of those guys that reads comics to escape/entertainment and will pass.
    I agree. If anything subjects like this should be dealt with in indivdual books if they are going to be dealt with by certain characters. Marvel did something like this once with the Loners books about a superhero support group, but that quickly just became another action book.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I get what King wants to do and I respect the concept. However, I am one of those guys that reads comics to escape/entertainment and will pass.
    I agree.
    It seems that being a hero has been layered with so many real world costs that it's almost not recommendable to just 'do the right thing' anymore. Do reading superhero comics still embarrass people that much?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I agree to an extent, but this is the type of thing where the execution could make it good anyway. I'm willing to give it a shot. Not by any means sold but not staggeringly put off either.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’m kind of hoping this is like “In Treatment,” but with superheroes. Each issue is a session with a different hero, sometimes it’ll cycle back around and you’ll get to see how they’re doing, but the truth is: I think there’s room for diversity of storytelling in comics. Comics are a medium, not a genre, and I fail to see why that rule can’t apply to superhero books. I can read Justice League when I want a fix of earth saving and supervillain battling, but why can’t I read a book about Batman dealing with his doubts and struggles?

Anyway, yeah, between this and “The Other History of the DCU,” it seems like 2018 is shaping up as nicely as 2017 did in terms of the sheer amount of cool **** DC is putting on the stands.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

This is a interesting premise. A few angles can be worked with this.Take Grant Morrison Doom Patrol Crawling from the wreckage mixed with X-factor issue that Doc Sampson serves as a therapist, and this has loads of potential. Especially considering the inspirational stories we can get from heroes dealing with the consequences of violence and the lasting traumatic effects.

Very interested to see how this pans out.

What an awful idea.

Why not strip everything away? And we can have a comic verse about mentally defeated heroes.

And I’ve flipped through Mr. Miracle. Pretentious as ****, and not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I agree.
    It seems that being a hero has been layered with so many real world costs that it's almost not recommendable to just 'do the right thing' anymore. Do reading superhero comics still embarrass people that much?
    I rarely disagree with you, but I think a book like this is a good thing. It certainly shouldn't be the only way to do stories, but occasional realism can make for a great story. Some fans want deeper meaning and adult ideas. Some want to settle for light hearted fluff. I like the idea that every Wednesday I can get a small pile of very different types of stories.

Although I do get funny looks at my LCS when i buy Squirrel Girl and Snagglepuss at the same time.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    This is a interesting premise. A few angles can be worked with this.Take Grant Morrison Doom Patrol Crawling from the wreckage mixed with X-factor issue that Doc Sampson serves as a therapist, and this has loads of potential. Especially considering the inspirational stories we can get from heroes dealing with the consequences of violence and the lasting traumatic effects.
    I think the difference is those stories were just an issue or two. A whole series where that is the main focus just sounds like it will get tired fast. A story like that a little goes a long way. At least thats the way I think anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    What an awful idea.

Why not strip everything away? And we can have a comic verse about mentally defeated heroes.

Nobody’s forcing you to read it, last time I checked. It’s not like this book is going to result in the cancellation of Super Sons or anything. Or is it just the idea that it exists that bothers you?

Quote Originally Posted by batfan08 View Post
    Nobody’s forcing you to read it, last time I checked. It’s not like this book is going to result in the cancellation of Super Sons or anything. Or is it just the idea that it exists that bothers you?
    dont take the bait.
    just ignore the trolls.

I think this will be great! I had said that it would be great to have some sort of "war" type special series going on in the comics; something a little more mature. Maybe featuring more of the Military and Soldier type characters like a Rick or a Steve.

So something like this is right up my alley. Especially being a sister of a Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I rarely disagree with you, but I think a book like this is a good thing. It certainly shouldn't be the only way to do stories, but occasional realism can make for a great story. Some fans want deeper meaning and adult ideas. Some want to settle for light hearted fluff. I like the idea that every Wednesday I can get a small pile of very different types of stories.

Although I do get funny looks at my LCS when i buy Squirrel Girl and Snagglepuss at the same time.
    Exactly! Plus more and more adults are reading comics way past the age of 35 now so I think stories with a little more maturity and realism would be a good thing. More variety too and this can be spin off into the mainstream market too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    What an awful idea.

These books would not be for you then. There is nothing wrong with having variety.